Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A Simple Misunderstanding!

Posted by on May. 18, 2009 at 2:41 PM
  • 8 Replies

My little one would ask for "chooz eez" which translated to "juice please". It only took me a little while to learn how to decipher her language structure. Now that she's four, her language is almost perfect and I understand everything, but that’s not always the case. Yesterday I was called once by one of Alex’s (my daughter) preschool teachers asking why she always tells the lunch lady to "shut up" when ever she serves Alex lunch. I couldn't believe that she would say that since it was not a phrase I ever heard her say at home. Last night for dinner, we had grilled hamburgers and she asked for "chuttup" I went and got the ketchup and quickly realized that this is what she was saying at school. My daughter loves ketchup and would put it in her cereal if I let her! So this morning, I told the teacher what Alex was actually saying, and now that they understand her, all is well, and she is getting ketchup with her food without offending anyone!
Be sure to understand what your child is trying to say before punishing them for profanity that they are not intending to portray!

by on May. 18, 2009 at 2:41 PM
Edited by
on
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
WImom2
by Silver Member on May. 18, 2009 at 3:02 PM

That is so cute!

CandiGram
by Member on May. 18, 2009 at 3:02 PM

I understand what you are going through.  My daughter is only 1 1/2 but she constantly says "Sh#t" but she is really saying shirt.  people in the stores turn heads when they see her say this. 

sweetie00
by on May. 18, 2009 at 3:10 PM

Quoting CandiGram:

I understand what you are going through.  My daughter is only 1 1/2 but she constantly says "Sh#t" but she is really saying shirt.  people in the stores turn heads when they see her say this. 

LOL!

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on May. 18, 2009 at 3:24 PM

Oh what fun!  LOL

Don't worry.... my son just learnt to help put on his socks & shoes... except he says "cocks" instead of "socks"...  yeah we get some wierd looks sometimes...  hahaha

Loving Wife of a Marine
Mommy of a Handsome Prince 
& a Beautiful Princess            

cowgirlsr2
by Silver Member on May. 18, 2009 at 3:34 PM

How cut I miss those days mine are 18-13but I remember ther mispoken words like my oldest was kapuch(ketchup) and my youngest pasghetii (spaghetii)and Mamoo and Papoo for Mamaw and Papaw. that one stuck. if you got youngens take in every moment cause tommorow there grown.

MommyMethod
by Member on May. 18, 2009 at 3:38 PM

Did your kids ever go through the name phase?  My daughter has been calling her daddy by his name recently.  I don't know when it started, I just remember her saying it one day and sticking to it.  It kinda saddens him not to hear daddy, but everyone says she'll go back to saying daddy soon.  To help, I call him daddy instead of using his name...maybe that'll help?

SunandMoonMom
by Member on May. 18, 2009 at 3:44 PM

Oh my!  Poor little girl missing out on her ketchup and probably getting some strange looks...Glad it got straightened out! ;-)

Della529
by Matlock on May. 18, 2009 at 3:48 PM

*Grinning from ear to ear*  I love little kid words.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured