Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hot Topic (5/23): Is it okay to drink alcohol in front of kids?

From MSNBC.com:

CHICAGO - Preschoolers pretending to shop for a Barbie doll’s social evening were more likely to choose cigarettes if their parents smoked, and wine or beer if their parents drank, a study found.

Researchers observing the children’s play found that the ones who watched PG-13 or R-rated movies also were more likely to choose alcohol for Barbie . . .

. . . The study suggests that prevention efforts should target younger children, Dalton said. It was published Monday in the September issue of Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine.

The study included 120 children, ages 2 to 6. An adult researcher led a standardized play activity in which each child, acting as a Barbie or Ken doll, shopped for a visiting friend. A store stocked with 133 miniature items gave the children choices — including meat, fruit, vegetables, snacks, nonalcoholic drinks, cigarettes, beer and wine.

The children could “buy” anything they wanted by filling a small grocery cart and taking it to a small checkout counter.

Twenty-eight percent of the children bought cigarettes, and 61 percent bought alcohol. The children whose parents smoked were almost four times more likely to buy cigarettes. The children whose parents drank at least monthly were three times more likely to buy alcohol.

Children who watched adult-content movies were five times more likely to buy alcohol, but the researchers did not find a statistically significant link between movie-watching and choosing cigarettes.

Memorial Day weekend is here.  Time for barbecues and . . . beer?  Do you drink in front of your children? 

Do you think drinking in front of children is a good or bad idea?

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

by on May. 23, 2009 at 1:24 AM
Replies (41-41):
gilbertgrl627
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2009 at 9:15 PM

I agree. I don't see a problem with it. Actually, my parents (father mostly when I was younger, and then my mother when I was in high school) were big time drinkers. My dad would start at 5 o'clock and my mom would finish a 6-pack each night. Even my aunts and uncles were (and are) all drinkers. Personally, I don't understand drinking to get drunk, or having the main thing at your party be alcohol. I will drink on occasion, but not a lot.

Haha, as far as this study goes, I'm probably the exception to the rule.

Quoting sallymoon:

I don't think drinking in front of your child is necessarily bad, but being a drunk idiot in front of your child probably isn't a good idea.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured