Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

With the several cases that have come up as of late as to where a parent can refuse medical treatment of a child, do you feel we have reached a slippery slope that could lead to the state enforcing all medical treatment irregardless of a parents wishes up to and including vaccinations and behavioral medications?

It seems I recall the reason people can refuse vaccinations and/or any medications is because a person cannot be forced to undergo medical treatment of any kind against their religion or their personal spiritual beliefs. Yet, here we are now with that very thing being done.

Are parents right to refuse treatment for thier child in jepardy?

After all Maryland forced vaccinations in November 2007.

by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:58 AM
Replies (11-14):
stormcris
by Christy on May. 24, 2009 at 2:41 PM

Interesting....

Quoting ain-gell72:

even a more probable cause to take the child to be seen, and then the parents refuse to let the hospital test to see what may be wrong?

yes- I blame the parents in this one.

not to mention what the hospital thought the baby could have, is very contagious to all in contact with the baby.

Quoting stormcris:

Sorry perhaps I should clarify infant with fever of 101.

Quoting ain-gell72:

if you knew you all just had a virus, then why take the child in the first place? to be reaffairmed of the virus? then it seems to me, the parent thought the child may have something else, which could have been meningitis. the hospital was only doing their job and when the parents got all huffy about the treatment, the hospital then got concerned for the welfare of the child.

I say, go hospital for being on the lookout!

Quoting stormcris:

Suppose you took your child to the ER for a fever (just a fever) and they wanted to preform a spinal tap. pump antibiotics and steriods, due to a 5% chance it is meningitis. You know your family just had a nasty virus and refuse treatment, and take your child home. Next thing you know cops are at your door taking your child from you under charges of medical neglect. They then take the child back to the hospital where all the medical suggestions are preformed only to find the child had a cold. Then the child was then returned to the mother.

This actually happened in Utah.

stormcris
by Christy on May. 24, 2009 at 2:56 PM

Ok what about this:

In Albany, New York, a couple who had taken their son off Ritalin agreed to put him back on the drug after a family court threatened them with child abuse charges. Another New York couple was contacted by child protective services, who were investigating possible medical neglect, after they took their son off Ritalin and other drugs, contrary to a school-endorsed psychiatrist's recommendation.  Within six months, he was withdrawn, stopped socializing with children, started chewing pencils, lost his appetite and couldn't sleep properly. He ran away from home. Mrs. Weathers withdrew Michael slowly off the drugs. Child Protective Services charged her with medical and educational neglect, despite medical tests having determined Michael suffered from untreated allergies and anemia. The charges were later dropped.

shinyhappymom
by Member on May. 24, 2009 at 3:03 PM

This is a good example of why government and parenting don't mix.  The only time that anyone should intervene is if the child is being abused.  Medical treatment is not black and white.  I would want the right to choose my child's treatment.  I routinely refuse antibiotics when my kids are sick.  I would probably leave this country if the government started telling me to give my kid ritalin.  Actually, I certainly would leave.  Wow! 

Quoting stormcris:

Ok what about this:

In Albany, New York, a couple who had taken their son off Ritalin agreed to put him back on the drug after a family court threatened them with child abuse charges. Another New York couple was contacted by child protective services, who were investigating possible medical neglect, after they took their son off Ritalin and other drugs, contrary to a school-endorsed psychiatrist's recommendation.  Within six months, he was withdrawn, stopped socializing with children, started chewing pencils, lost his appetite and couldn't sleep properly. He ran away from home. Mrs. Weathers withdrew Michael slowly off the drugs. Child Protective Services charged her with medical and educational neglect, despite medical tests having determined Michael suffered from untreated allergies and anemia. The charges were later dropped.

shelbysmom139
by on May. 24, 2009 at 4:23 PM

New parents often go to the hospital for 101 fever to make sure the child is ok.  Some times if the people have good insurance the doctor run unnecessary test.  101 fever does not warrant for a spinal test.  If the child had a rash, stiff neck,  sever headache or higher fever that would warrant for a spinal tap.  My girlfriend has twins that were sever sezures, when she had heavy metal test done at the neurologist they came back with in normal levels. At the same time she did a test over the Internet and one with doctors data in Az at a clinic. the other 2 test came back almost the same with several metals being high.  When she confronted the neurologist he told her to quit doing Internet test, then he sent her a letter saying she was going against medical advice and if she continued to do alternative health care he was sending child protective services in.  She has continued to use alternative treatments the boys are off all medicines.  The boys are impproving and she continues to lie to the boys doctors by letting them think they are curing the boys.  It should not be like this, BUT IT IS.  Where are are rights?

Quoting ain-gell72:

if you knew you all just had a virus, then why take the child in the first place? to be reaffairmed of the virus? then it seems to me, the parent thought the child may have something else, which could have been meningitis. the hospital was only doing their job and when the parents got all huffy about the treatment, the hospital then got concerned for the welfare of the child.

I say, go hospital for being on the lookout!

Quoting stormcris:

Suppose you took your child to the ER for a fever (just a fever) and they wanted to preform a spinal tap. pump antibiotics and steriods, due to a 5% chance it is meningitis. You know your family just had a nasty virus and refuse treatment, and take your child home. Next thing you know cops are at your door taking your child from you under charges of medical neglect. They then take the child back to the hospital where all the medical suggestions are preformed only to find the child had a cold. Then the child was then returned to the mother.

This actually happened in Utah.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)