Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Why do you drink?

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 9:10 AM
  • 19 Replies

Another post got me thinking... I saw alot of comments saying 'it's alright to drink as long as you don't get drunk'.

If you're not drinking to get a buzz or get drunk, then why are you drinking?

To relax?

Because you like the taste?

Just because you can?

Also, if you're drinking around your kids, have you ever caught them picking up that drink and drinking it or  almost  drinking from it?

by on May. 24, 2009 at 9:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kaelaasmom
by Member on May. 24, 2009 at 9:31 AM

I like a beer or a good Amaretto Sour. I like the taste, so I have a drink sometimes.

My daughter has never picked up a beer bottle because she has always been taught that it is for adults only.

IhartU
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2009 at 9:38 AM

Quoting Kaelaasmom:

I like a beer or a good Amaretto Sour. I like the taste, so I have a drink sometimes.

My daughter has never picked up a beer bottle because she has always been taught that it is for adults only.

I'm glad you've taught her that! I've been at picnics before and seen little ones picking up beer and alcoholic drinks, and sometimes they get a sip before anyone notices or is able to stop them.

horseymom
by New Member on May. 24, 2009 at 9:48 AM

I used to have an occasional beer from time to time just because I liked the taste of it. But my first husband was an alcoholic and saw the outcome of that and I would never allow myself to get that way. I don't have anything against people that drink and know how to control it. I'm 27 weeks pregnate with baby #3 so I can't and won't think about even having one sip now. Plus even if I wasn't pregnate, I'm too busy with my 2 little ones to even think about it. And if I had one beer today, it would make me so sleepy I would probally fall right to sleep!!

lilyrose73
by on May. 24, 2009 at 9:52 AM

I like to have a beer or two every so often... I like the taste.  My kids know that beer and wine (the only kind of alcohol we ever have in the house)  is only for adults, they don't touch it if they see it. 

mazomama
by on May. 24, 2009 at 9:58 AM

I enjoy a beer from time and again and wine while watching my DVR to get caught up on my shows. I to have had experience with an alcoholic, my father so from a very young age i mad that decision along time ago never to get the way he was. AS far as my children go they understand that its only for mommy's and daddy's if they see it in the fridge. we do not drink around them however we have grandma come over if were going to have a couple with some friends otherwise there in bed by the time i settle on the couch with a glass.

*Estrella*

IhartU
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2009 at 10:29 AM

Quoting horseymom:

I used to have an occasional beer from time to time just because I liked the taste of it. But my first husband was an alcoholic and saw the outcome of that and I would never allow myself to get that way. I don't have anything against people that drink and know how to control it. I'm 27 weeks pregnate with baby #3 so I can't and won't think about even having one sip now. Plus even if I wasn't pregnate, I'm too busy with my 2 little ones to even think about it. And if I had one beer today, it would make me so sleepy I would probally fall right to sleep!!

It's strange that sometimes experience with an alcohol abuser will either make someone VERY against drinking, or it will do the opposite and that person will find themselves in the same situation as the alcoholic they dealt with.

IhartU
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2009 at 10:31 AM

Quoting lilyrose73:

I like to have a beer or two every so often... I like the taste.  My kids know that beer and wine (the only kind of alcohol we ever have in the house)  is only for adults, they don't touch it if they see it. 

Are you not scared that once they hit the teen yers, they will sneak your alcohol? Even someone that has been taught from an early age that drinking is for grownups will STILL give in to the temptation because they think they are a grownup and want to do grownup things.

rotPferd
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2009 at 11:17 AM

I like to have an ice cold Michelob Ultra when I get a pepperoni, onion, and mushroom pizza with crushd red pepper on top. YUM

lilyrose73
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:22 AM

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting lilyrose73:

Are you not scared that once they hit the teen yers, they will sneak your alcohol? Even someone that has been taught from an early age that drinking is for grownups will STILL give in to the temptation because they think they are a grownup and want to do grownup things.

No, I'm not scared at all.  We never have more than a bottle or 2 of wine and/or a 6 pack of beer at a time so if they did try to sneak it I would know.   I think it's important for kids to see adults drinking in a responsible matter...and I will, to the best of my ability,  monitor everything they do, where there are going, and who they are going with.  Not all kids drink, some do... I'm am not naive enough to think that my kids won't be try a beer at a friends house when they get to be teens, but all I can do trust that I have raised them in such a way that they will know right from wrong and act accordingly. 

Mom2LiamNMolly
by Member on May. 24, 2009 at 11:24 AM

I grew up in a house where there was no alcohol and my parents never drank when we went out. My dad would have a can of Coors a night on our 4 day annual camping trip and that IS IT.

And when I was 16, my friend Clover had some warm beer in her trunk and offered to share it with me. And I had my first drink (of many)...

I don't think parents indulging in a few here or there or not having any makes much of a difference... kids will be kids and are FAR more tempted to act out because of peer pressure than they are because of their parents.... And frankly, it's ignorant to think your kids will NEVER drink, do drugs, or anything else illegal just because YOU don't.... it's those kids, IMO, that can cause more trouble down the road... because their parents are cocky in their thinking...

Quoting IhartU:

proud-mom-two-kids.gif                                                                         Stefanie - Mom to Irish Twins Liam 7/07 (IUGR) and Molly 06/08 (IUGR,  Developmental Delays, Pre-Natal Stroke) and Wife to Mark since 2006.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)