Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Another post got me thinking... I saw alot of comments saying 'it's alright to drink as long as you don't get drunk'.

If you're not drinking to get a buzz or get drunk, then why are you drinking?

To relax?

Because you like the taste?

Just because you can?

Also, if you're drinking around your kids, have you ever caught them picking up that drink and drinking it or  almost  drinking from it?

by on May. 24, 2009 at 9:10 AM
Replies (11-19):
ShadowRaven
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2009 at 11:37 AM

I used to be a heavy drinker until I found out I was pregnant with ds. Now I drink rarely and only to relax and calm my nerves a little. He's just under a year right now, but as he gets older, I don't think him seeing me drink 1-2 winecoolers 2-3 times a month is going to cause any harm. The only time I drink more than 1-2 at a time is when he's not with us. And even then, it's not more than 4 winecoolers.

Come join my group, The Speakeasy!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/TheSpeakeasy

eaglemama2
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2009 at 12:36 PM

I am not worried about whether they sneak alcohol or not (teens).   We have wine with our meals,  I grew up that way in Europe, it's not really such a big deal.     When my siblings and I were 16, our parents, said to us, if you want to have a drink, have one here, with us.    That took the fun out of sneaking! LOL  Then again the drinking age is 16 in many European countries.

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting lilyrose73:

I like to have a beer or two every so often... I like the taste.  My kids know that beer and wine (the only kind of alcohol we ever have in the house)  is only for adults, they don't touch it if they see it. 

Are you not scared that once they hit the teen yers, they will sneak your alcohol? Even someone that has been taught from an early age that drinking is for grownups will STILL give in to the temptation because they think they are a grownup and want to do grownup things.

sweetie00
by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:55 PM

90% of my family is alcoholic, including both my parents. I drank to get wasted. That is why I quit. I won't/can't stop at just one drink. I don't drink, smoke, or do any drugs. I get addicted just like that.

sweetie00
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:24 PM

We also don't allow it in the house. Hubby drinks about once every two years, when he goes home to visit friends and family. Ironicly, my first drink was in  my friends basement. Her preacher(!) dad had a massive stash of wine and beer. They were preparing for armageddon, I'm not kidding. LOL. Screw the guns, got to have an alcohol stash!

savedbythelight
by on May. 24, 2009 at 4:02 PM

My mom grew up in a house with alcoholics and her brother and sister became also and she was well on her way, she says one time when my oldest sister was like a year old she was at a family BBQ and she was drinking (like everyone else) and she only remembered waking up in her room and my sister was in her crib, she had no idea how they got there or anything, so from that day she never drank again...EVER. We were taught that having a drink now and then (because my dad would have a beer on the weekends) was fine, if you could control yourself (she couldn't) and if you didn't get drunk, because your judgment is off etc.
As a teen I remembered seeing family members at family events getting drunk and how ridiculous they were (plus I'm a stickler for the rules, I really don't break any, lol) so I never snuck a drink or anything, I never smoked either because I was more concerned about my body and my well-being than what others were doing.

Now, I had tried a Smirnoff twisted when I turned 21. Since then I never drank again. But now my husband and I live overseas in Europe and I have wine with dinner sometimes. But that's it.

I'm not worried about my kids because they will see responsible "drinking" and they will know the dangers of getting drunk and I will have to trust that they listen and if they do drink that they'll only have one. Plus, I wouldn't be opposed to letting them have a glass of wine with dinner either.

PinotNoir
by New Member on May. 24, 2009 at 4:11 PM

My avatar says it. I do like to have the occasional glass of red wine with my steak. I feel relaxed afterwards.

Earth-Angel
by on May. 24, 2009 at 4:15 PM

I drink to relax, because it taste good and because I can! LOL! I usually drink wine coolers, mixed drinks like  dakari and pina coladas. .  My fave is pina coladas! And, no my kids have never tried and I have never caught them nor have they ever wanted to. I don't drink all the time, only once in awhile. However, my dh drinks beer all the time!

mamadixon
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2009 at 4:19 PM

I enjoy a drink probably once a week or so.When I do indulge it is usually Guinness,Riesling,or vodka.Though I have been having rum and coke lately.I like the taste,I like the mellow feeling,and I have never been drunk.

There is ALWAYS a choice..have the balls to make it,and the integrity to own it.

resamerie
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2009 at 4:37 PM

I think it's OK as long as it's not all of the time and your kid doesn't see you being a slobbering drunk.Like tomorrow, we are having a BBQ at my house and I'm sure she'll see me drink a couple. I may have a couple a week. But, if DH and I ever want to get a little more than tipsy, it's on a night that she sleeps by her Aunts house. I have only 2 major pet peeves in this area. A woman that will drink while they're preganant. Even though the doctor may have O.K.'d for you to have a occasional glass of wine, why chance it at all? Also, parents that get their kids to grab them a beer from the fridge. Not that the can/bottle is open and they may drink some of it, but simply because it just doesn't seem right to me. If it's the parents vice, they can damn well get up and get it theirselves.  

• angel-1-1-1-2.jpg picture by kfpep
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN