• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question for those who call themselves pro-choice but have not had nor would have an abortion themselves.

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:59 PM
  • 98 Replies

Why wouldn't you choose to have an abortion yourself?

~*~Peace and blessings~*~
by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rachana
by Member on May. 24, 2009 at 11:01 PM

That's the thing about being pro-choice. You have a choice. I chose not to have an abortion because I felt that I created that life and I have to take responsibility for it. If someone else chooses to have one, it's not my problem. It's their choice.

BMW0508
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:02 PM

I wouldn't because I wouldn't be able to live with myself. But that doesn't give me a right to judge others for what they do. Depends on their cirumstances.

MawagaMom
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:09 PM

I think every woman should have a choice but my choice is not to do that to my offspring.  I have had nine miscarriages and one angel baby who lived 65 minutes.  The difference is I want my fetuses to grow into my beautiful babies.  I want my children.  I can afford all of them and more.  I can give them all the love and provide for all their needs.  So no abortion for me.

nbr1sahm
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:16 PM

The answer to your question is in the title of your post.... "choice."

cmb121906
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:24 PM

Its the same thing as being for gun laws and such. Someone could be all for them, but not own one themselves ever.

mommy2angels427
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2009 at 11:26 PM

Because I believe people should have the choice... like I do.... i just choose not to have one...

luckcharm
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2009 at 11:28 PM

Why would someone have to have had an abortion to be pro-choice? 

I am pro-choice because I believe it is up to each individual woman to make decisions regarding their pregnancy.   Its not my right nor desire to tell another woman what choice to make. 

izzybear0217
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:32 PM

I couldn't agree more

Quoting luckcharm:

Why would someone have to have had an abortion to be pro-choice? 

I am pro-choice because I believe it is up to each individual woman to make decisions regarding their pregnancy.   Its not my right nor desire to tell another woman what choice to make. 

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
PurdueMom
by Sherri on May. 24, 2009 at 11:49 PM

Why wouldn't I have an abortion myself?

Because when I got pregnant with my last 3 pregnancies, each pregnancy was planned, I was married, and my DH and I were financially stable.

When I was 17, I got pregnant.  It was not planned.  I was not married.  Neither I nor the father was financially independent, let alone employed (plus there were other issues in play that are personal and no one's business).  I was planning an abortion, but I had a miscarriage before my appointment.  How did I feel?  Relief.  Not relief that I didn't have to go through with an abortion, but relief that I was no longer pregnant.  I never had any feelings for what was growing inside me except for fear, worry, and dread.  I suppose if I had carried the baby to term, I would've loved the child eventually and would not be able to imagine a life without him/her, but.....

I would not have the three beautiful daughters I have today whom I absolutely love and adore, and am so glad that THEY are in the world.  So 31 years later, I have absolutely no regrets, to put it bluntly.     

There are lots of things in life that I would never do, but that doesn't mean other people can't do them.   My personal choices and preferences are mine, I don't expect everyone to think as I do nor to do as I do.   I don't know what other women's circumstances are, and I don't judge people.  That's why I'm pro-choice. 

Sherri
RiggsMommy
by Member on May. 25, 2009 at 12:11 AM

i am pro-choice to some degree even though at this point in my life i feel abortion is wrong. the reason why i am still pro-choice when it comes to laws, even though i really feel that abortion is a huge mistake, and is wrong is for two reasons:

1. i am now the mother to a beautiful girl who i wanted to abort, i look at her every day and thank god i never got up the "courage" to go to the clinic....and i know that when i made the decision in my mind to want an abortion, that i was so overwhelmed with the situation i didn't think that far ahead, to future children, to how you really feel about your baby when you hold them in your arms, how you spend your life praying for your child to be healthy and safe, not wishing they were never born....you have to live with a decision to abort for your whole life. Although that sounds like a pro-life argument, it shows how much someone can feel completely different than their own morals would normally portray, so i can not judge someone for feeling that scared, helpless, panicked, and making  a decision like that....when a person is facing crisis one of the first things they say is to not make any big decisions....well during that crisis for those who experience it as such, you have the biggest decision of your life to make, and i can't judge someone for making what i feel is the wrong choice

2. my otherwise pro-life opinion comes from my religious base. although i am not actually all that religious, i do believe in god, and miracles, and heaven, and i think that all things happen for a reason, that is why i think abortion is wrong....i think those innocent babies are god's creatures and that they happened for a reason wether we know what that reason is or not...and for that reason i think abortion is wrong.....BUT not everyone even believes in god, or that everything happens for a reason, and it is not my place to push my religiou base, and the values and morals that stem from it, onto anyone else. In north america we believe in freedom of religion, and i think that the pro-life stance always in some way resorts back to a religious base, so no matter how worng i think it is, i don't have the right to tell someone that they should have values based on my religion.

and all of that is really hard for me to argue, cause i am otherwise pro-life, it breaks my heart to hear about anyone having an abortion, i think tht it is murder, and i feel like they must not have had enough knowledge about the emotional scars and life long consequences to have made that decision...but even with all that, it's THEIR decision

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)