Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New breakthroughs in peanut allergies....Im so happy

Posted by on May. 25, 2009 at 1:19 AM
  • 2 Replies

Nathan our 5 year old son has a serious allergy to nuts. When he was 2 years old I held him in my arms as his little life was leaving his body. As his face was swollen and purple, I could hardly recognize him. I watched as the ER doctors jammed tubes down his throat to help him breathe. As the nurses stuck him with so many needles and pumped his tiny body full of steroids. I prayed that if my son would be saved I would do anything in my power to help him and be his advocate as long as he needed. Well turns out Nathan is a smart brilliant boy but still too young to go out on his own with this type of allergy.

He knows he is allergic and knows to ask about most things. However in the past 3 years he has had way too many reactions and close calls. There are hidden dangers in many foods that he isnt aware of. Thats where I have to step in reading every single label, making sure if someone ate nuts they wash before touching him. He has such a strong reaction that someone could eat nuts, and hours later touch him and he will break out and start wheezing.

I always read up on newest research about allergies. And doctors are coming very close to an actual cure for this deadly allergy. Statistics say that 1 in every 17 kids has a food allergy of some type, however most can be outgrown except for Nathans peanut allergy. Doctors started a study a couple of years ago taking children with even the worst reactions to nuts and gave them small amounts of peanuts, then built the amount up over time. The kids slowly built up an immunity to the nuts and now can eat several peanuts and some can even eat an entire snickers bar without a problem.

This is wonderful, although I am still not willing to put Nathan in that kind of danger yet, because after seeing him battle for his own life, I just can not. So we are homeschooling him until we feel hes old enough to deal with school lunches and snacks and classmates. And fully able to read and inject himself with his epipen if needed. I came across a website last month that actually has service dogs trained just for nut allergies. They are taught to sniff out peanuts and keep the child away from the nuts, to get help if needed, and to even move the child away from the nuts.

That is a miracle, that is the miracle I have been waiting for. And I applied to get him one. I doubt if we will get one, but if it can help him, save his life and allow him to have some freedoms that other school aged kids get then why not right? I could not be happier, I think that whoever thought up to teach a service dog this is a blessing. Because I have cried so much thinking about what my son may or may not miss out on. If he can be in sports when hes younger, if he can sleep over at a friends house. All the stuff that any child usually gets to experience.

wedding website

by on May. 25, 2009 at 1:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
3timesoccermom
by Member on May. 25, 2009 at 1:22 AM

I hope it happens soon for your son and all the others with these allergies. 

mymichelle2002
by Member on May. 25, 2009 at 1:24 AM

That's AWESOME!!!!! but at 5 he NEEDS to know how to use his epi-pen himself. Time to buy some oranges.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured