Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Why are we frying everything in the south? how about some fried rattle snake?

Posted by on May. 26, 2009 at 5:10 PM
  • 37 Replies
I have lived in Texas FOR TWENTY YEARS AND I AM AMAZED HOW UNHEALTHY WE EAT in HERE...They fry everything...even the ice cream,sneaker bars,pickles ,Twinkies,strawberries,cheesecake, okra,cheese,,...and a lot more....I guess fry food is going well with all the carbs and meat we consume every day...Is it a Southern tradition of cooking? Have you ever had fried banana's? OR even fried rattle snake?
Joanna...
by on May. 26, 2009 at 5:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PamR
by Pam on May. 26, 2009 at 5:11 PM
If it ain't fried, it ain't cooked! Actually, I rarely fry my food, it's a once-in-while thing for me.
stormcris
by Christy on May. 26, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Very southern. I think the intention was for long days of farming that people cooked like that. Of course the majority of us do not do that type of hard labor to burn calories.

I have lived in Georgia most of my life and have never had a fried banana and not entirely sure I want one.

PamR
by Pam on May. 26, 2009 at 5:14 PM
I haven't ever had fried bananas, either, or fried oreos or candy bars. I don't think those are southern. I can eat my weight in fried chicken and fried okra, however. And those yummy fried apple pies in the fall.
Jovaiel
by Member on May. 26, 2009 at 5:20 PM

I was introduced to fried bananas (plantain) by Cuban friends. Does Cuba count as the South?

My first experience with deep-fried turkey at Thanksgiving was in Louisiana. Fried chicken - well of course it's standard Southern fare - or so KFC would have you believe.

Wasn't it the Brits who invented deep-fried Twinkies?

"One of the prerequisites of peaceful coexistence of beliefs in a secular society is freedom of speech--particularly the freedom to question, to dissent, even to ridicule." -- Robert Spencer

Annoyance Disclaimer Clause:  By reading this post you agree that you are not annoyed by me or my post. You agree to skip my post if you suspect annoyance will be reached. In the event that you misjudge your annoyability, you agree to indemnify me and all of my aliases from any culpability (whether real or perceived, intentional or accidental) and waive your right to any damages – punitive or otherwise. This disclaimer is binding, whether or not it annoys you.

mayzell
by Member on May. 26, 2009 at 5:36 PM

I have lived in the south all my life. As a kid we had lots of fried food.

Now that i am grown i will not eat anything fried or cook it that way.

I have seen my share of odd foods fried. Pickles, candy bars, turkey and other things.

I did seen a machine at walmart  that would fry corn dogs and candy bars.

gogetem
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2009 at 5:38 PM

cause it tastes damn good.

PamR
by Pam on May. 26, 2009 at 5:46 PM

It does taste good!

Now I'm remembering all sorts of fried things I like.  Hush puppies, fried corn. . . yummy.

BEXi
by on May. 26, 2009 at 5:57 PM

I love fried foods, however rarely eat them. We fry our turkey every year and its ten times better than baking it. Yum! I am from NC by the way.

TaiyoandMe
by Member on May. 26, 2009 at 6:00 PM

Fried artichoke is amazing...I suggest everyone get some with a little Ranch!

Pepperlynns
by on May. 26, 2009 at 6:26 PM

born and raised in texas the last 30 yrs..i stopped frying ALL my foods 12 yrs ago

The GOP...concerned with "the truth" since 1-20-09
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN