Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hot Topic (6/9): Auto Erotic Asphyxiation

Cafe GroupAdmin
Happy autumn!
Yesterday at 11:45 PM
Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:25 AM
  • 22 Replies

The Washington Post: 

BANGKOK, June 5 -- Thai police officers investigating the death of David Carradine, the American actor who made his name in the "Kung Fu" television series in the 1970s, say he most likely died of asphyxiation, possibly when an autoerotic sex game went wrong.

Carradine, 72, was found naked in a closet in an upscale Bangkok hotel on Thursday with cords around his neck and his genitals. The police are checking DNA found on the cords, but say they found no signs of a struggle, suggesting that Carradine might have either tied himself up or submitted voluntarily to his incapacitation.

Erotic asphyxiation refers to intentionally cutting off oxygen to the brain for sexual arousal. It is also called asphyxiophilia, autoerotic asphyxia, scarfing, kotzwarraism, or breath control play.

Various methods are used to achieve the level of oxygen depletion needed, such as a hanging, suffocation with a plastic bag over the head, self-strangulation such as with a ligature, gas or volatile solvents, chest compression, or some combination of these. Sometimes, complicated devices are used to produce the desired effects. The practice can be dangerous even if performed with care and has resulted in a significant number of accidental deaths.

Deaths often occur when the loss of consciousness caused by partial asphyxia leads to loss of control over the means of strangulation, resulting in continued asphyxia and death. While often asphyxiophilia is incorporated into sex with a partner, others enjoy this behaviour by themselves, making it potentially more difficult to get out of dangerous situations.  Victims are often found to have rigged some sort of "rescue mechanism" that has not worked in the way they anticipated as they lost consciousness.

What are your thoughts?

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stormcris
by Christy on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:29 AM

That is not a practice that should be done alone. It must be handled very carefully and the practitioner should be with a person who is trained in the practice.

Randi02
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:31 AM

I'm guessing this post is because of David Carradines death...

This kind of thing scares me. It was popular when I was in highschool, kids would use belts to hang themselves from towel racks. I can't imagine how awful that would be to lose a loved one that way. This is really common for seniors and highschool aged boys.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Eveshalloween
by Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:32 AM

smacking my @$$ and pulling my hair is one thing...lol this is another...not for me, and whoever does do this, i wish them luck in not dying?

MawagaMom
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:34 AM

You can be trained in asphyxia and do it well.  My husband likes to do it on me but if I kick he doesn't continue.  That is a sign of distress.  Most people know little about it and think that it is horrible.  It really isn't if you know what you are doing. 

3timesoccermom
by Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:42 AM

My thought is how do people come up with these ideas? 

3timesoccermom
by Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:42 AM

How does someone become trained and who trains?

Quoting MawagaMom:

You can be trained in asphyxia and do it well.  My husband likes to do it on me but if I kick he doesn't continue.  That is a sign of distress.  Most people know little about it and think that it is horrible.  It really isn't if you know what you are doing. 

Madge1428
by Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:56 AM

It is sad that his death has become tabloid fodder.

sunglasses miniMadge

MawagaMom
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:57 AM

My husband took classes at a bondage fair one year that we always go to.  Madame Midori is a wonderful instructor.

Quoting 3timesoccermom:

How does someone become trained and who trains?

Quoting MawagaMom:

Malapertinent
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:44 AM

LIke anything, it should be between to consenting individuals.  If this is something that a person is interested in, I would guess research it, come up with a "safe" word so that everyone remains out of harms way.

Carradine is the first of several who have died as a result of this. 

Whatever floats...

One's dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but it cannot be taken away unless it is surrendered

dereksmommy1227
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:58 AM

Yeah.... 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)