Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Forget About the Muslims - It's the Atheists That You Should Be Afraid Of!

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:50 PM
  • 41 Replies

Actually I didn't get how many people are truly Godless, but Muslims are such a small segment of our society that they really pose no threat whatsoever to the Christian majority.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2009-03-09-american-religion-ARIS_N.htm#uslPageReturn

***excerpt***

When it comes to religion, the USA is now land of the freelancers.

The percentage. of people who call themselves in some way Christian has dropped more than 11% in a generation. The faithful have scattered out of their traditional bases: The Bible Belt is less Baptist. The Rust Belt is less Catholic. And everywhere, more people are exploring spiritual frontiers — or falling off the faith map completely.

• So many Americans claim no religion at all (15%, up from 8% in 1990), that this category now outranks every other major U.S. religious group except Catholics and Baptists. In a nation that has long been mostly Christian, "the challenge to Christianity … does not come from other religions but from a rejection of all forms of organized religion," the report concludes.

Religious tradition
2008 estimate (in millions)
Estimated % of population 1990
Estimated % of population 2008
Change
Catholic 57.2 26.2% 25.1% -1.1%
Baptist 36.1 19.3% 15.8% -3.5%
No religion 34.2 8.2% 15.0% 6.8%
Christian, generic 32.4 14.8% 14.2% -0.6%
Mainline Protestant 29.4 18.7% 12.9% -5.8%
Don't Know/Refused 11.8 2.3% 5.2% 2.9%
Pentecostal/Charismatic 8.0 3.2% 3.5% 0.3%
Protestant denominations 7.1 2.6% 3.1% 0.5%
Mormon/latter-day Saints 3.2 1.4% 1.4% 0.0%
New movements (such as Wiccan), other religions 2.8 0.8% 1.2% 0.4%
Jewish 2.7 1.8% 1.2% -0.6%
Eastern religions 2.0 0.4% 0.9% 0.5%
Muslim 1.4 0.3% 0.6% 0.3%

***end***

Your thoughts?

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
athenax3
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:57 PM

My personal thought on the matter of those "leaving" the Christian faith, isn't so much that they denounce the faith -in my experience even those claiming no official faith have a fundemental Christian base- they simply refuse to be associated with the type of "Christians" that seem to have overrun the faith- people are NOT abandoning Christianity but the zealots and lunatics WITHIN it- (there are ample examples of the type that scare people AWAY from Christianity in this group alone.)

The rejection of organized religion in general seems to be a result of the politicizing of faith- and the extreme nature of so much of it- extremism tends to alienate- and there is very much within many orgnaized religions it seems a "with us or against us" attitude recently.

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Some people are afraid of anything that is different than them, period.

I don't know of any Atheists that have gone on killing sprees in the name of Dawkins or Darwin so I'm not skeered of them. Besides my dad is one, he calls himself a reformed Catholic.

I don't know why Xians would consider this a challenge. Why are they so concerned with what other people believe or don't believe in? Except that they can't manipulate people who don't buy into their brand of faith.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

ddbz
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:59 PM

Right - so maybe it's the agnostics who are gonna take over. 

momandvet
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:07 PM

I wouldn't go so far as to take over, but we are no longer a silent group.  We are organizing and lobbying.  There are movements all across the country.  We are beginning to realize that we are really not alone, as most of us felt for the majority of our lives.  I take my son to Rational Sunday School and we have community gatherings.  We have parenting seminars and books.  We have key figures that draw large crowds, like Dawkins who my local group is hosting here in Portland in October. We will fight for our right not to have religion in government at all. 

Della529
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:17 PM

I have yet to understand the fear-mongering occuring with some people.

Quote:

Muslims are such a small segment of our society that they really pose no threat whatsoever to the Christian majority.

I think people are more getting away from the right-wing theology perpetuated by Bush and his ilk, more so than becoming Godless.

behappilyever
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:24 PM

yes because people who have beliefs other than your own are scary.eye rolling

Quoting ddbz:

Right - so maybe it's the agnostics who are gonna take over. 

"Failure is only somebody else's idea of what you are doing." -Whoopi Goldberg

elliephant
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Atheists are scary???

really?

wtf?

~can you handle the heat?~

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:51 PM

As a Christian I am not afraid of Muslims or Atheists.  I am not sure why we should be afraid of any other group of people who may be different from me.

dereksmommy1227
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:54 PM

Why would need to be afraid of them? My husband doesn't believe in god but he's of excellent moral character. If you believe then your fearful of not believing but if you never believed at all then you don't worry about it. 

elliephant
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:55 PM

I hear that they eat babies and kick puppies.  (sarcasm alert)

Quoting dereksmommy1227:

Why would need to be afraid of them? My husband doesn't believe in god but he's of excellent moral character. If you believe then your fearful of not believing but if you never believed at all then you don't worry about it. 

~can you handle the heat?~

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)