Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Easily Grossed Out? You May Be a Republican

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:00 PM
  • 9 Replies

Something a little light hearted from the Daily Buzz....

June 8, 2009 at 4:56 PM by Cafe Cynthia

conservatives more likely to be grossed out

Kiss me!

Pretend you are a cavewoman.

You're hunting for food for your cavebaby, and you come across a rotting rabbit carcass, covered with maggots and ooze. EWWW! you think. GROSS!

Do you take that home for dinner? Of course not. You're disgusted, which is your mind's way of telling you your family may get sick if they eat it.

Scientists say this evolutionary mechanism of repulsion aimed to protect us from illness and danger also feeds our political choices.

People who are easily disgusted by gore, slime, or dead bodies are more likely to be conservative than liberal.

In two separate studies by Cornell University researchers, people who rated higher in "disgust sensitivity tests" are more likely to oppose gay marriage and abortion, thereby making them more conservative.

Conservatives argue these feelings alone are enough to judge something wrong or immoral. Liberals disagree, and are more likely to base a judgement on whether an action or thing causes harm.

Here's a test to see where you stand:

1. Can you watch Saw V while eating a hamburger?

2. Would you be able to assist in the birth of someone's baby?

3. Do you play with bugs?

If you answered "no" to all three you are probably a Republican.

Do we rely too much on emotions in making judgements and decisions with our own kids? How does a mother's instinct fit in -- should we always trust that it's right? What are your thoughts?

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
lanceandhailey
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:04 PM

I'm a Republican and I can answer YES to all 3 questions!

So now what huh? LOL

momma2-3boys
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:08 PM

LOL,

I can answer 2 with a yes and the 3rd was a no...

I am a republican!

MomIWant
by Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:13 PM

2 yes for me - and I also believe that a mother's instinct should never be ignored!  I consider myself a "liberal" republican (hahaha).

goldd_e_loxx
by Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:28 PM

I consider myself to be conservative; however, I cannot watch SawV at all, I would have NO problem helping to deliver asomeone else's baby, and have Madagascar hissing cockroaches and tarantulas as pets (which I have no problem holding, along with the frogs, snakes, and lizards we used to keep).

I find one part of this article to be slightly offensive.

Conservatives argue these feelings alone are enough to judge something wrong or immoral. Liberals disagree, and are more likely to base a judgement on whether an action or thing causes harm.

These statements seem to imply that liberals think before making decisions while conservatives don't.  I, personally, feel that it is important to think things through, and I practice this policy consistently (even though I am conservative).   Therefore, I find this insinuation rather insulting.  I think people need to stop trying to define others according to their political affiliations because very few people base their opinions on the stance held by a particular political group.  It is usually the other way around: you affiliate yourself with a political group that shares MOST (but not necessarily ALL) of your opinions.

gilbertgrl627
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:32 PM

I have a tendency to lean toward Republican (especially lately), and I answered "no" to two of the questions. However, I am a big supporter of gay marriage and I am pro-choice. lol.

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:39 PM

1. No, I have no interest in watching any of the Saw or latest trend of torture horror flicks. I prefer old school horror, Halloween and the like

2. I have helped deliver livestock so doubt I would have a problem delivering a baby. It's naturally messy so doesn't bug me.

3. No thanks, I'm not a fan of critters with more than 4 legs. Spiders are ok but I wouldn't handle one. Roaches creep me out.

I was a Horse Science major in college and am really skittish about blood, the littlest bit makes me swoon, human or animal. That's why I'm not a Veterinarian. Except with my kids, I just get very calm and handle it.

I am a staunch Liberal Democrat.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

Talee
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:39 PM

I answered yes to all three...I grew up a strict conservative republican and still am a repub but as I have aged I have gotten way more liberal. I think someday I might just throw my hands up and register as an Independent.

I think I might have to pass this article around the office *grins*

BlueStarMom88
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:04 PM

I'm not a Rep. I am Conservative and an OR nurse,got to better than that! 

lbranta
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:51 PM

Im not a Republican or a conservative, however, I answered No to all of them.  So much for that study.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)