• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what is happening to our public schools??

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:50 PM
  • 14 Replies

we have all seen the news stories about teachers having affairs with their students....there are millions of movies about it on Lifetime.  but just like you never think the school in your area will have a shooting, you also never think that your school will be one of the ones where teachers sleep with their 11 year old students.....and then you find out otherwise.

i live in a very small town and have lived here my whole life, and never thought anything like this would be an issue here.....last month i heard that one of the 6th grade teachers at the elementary school was fired cuz she had an affair with a 12 year old boy....and his parents were not going to press charges in order to protect their son....which does make sense, but on the other hand that teacher can now go teach at other schools with no consequences for what she did.

and today i heard on the news a story about the highschool in my town...apparently there was a girl there who is suing the school for knowing about her affair with a teacher and not doing anything to protect her....this girl started sleeping with her teacher when she was 18 (is 19 now) and now all of a sudden is blaming the school for  her anxiety.  however the girl is also a stripper at a club in a nearby city, and  said that another teacher asked her out, and another went to the club she works at and asked her for  a lap dance. 

now in the situation with the girl, who is really to blame?? all three teachers definitly for being innappropriate with a student, but the girl is also to blame....she was 18 and should know better. i personally think she is just looking for money which is why she is trying to sue the school.

just wondering if anyone has any thoughts they would like to share....i am still so shocked and disgusted by both stories, and really want to send my daughter to private school now!!

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:00 PM

That's really bad about the teacher and the 12 year old. I guess I don't see where the parents have the choice or not to press charges. He's a kid...a minor...how come there isn't a law that causes the police to step in? I'm confused on that. It's one thing to want to protect your own child, but for the benefit of the whole, this is where the police need to step in.

The 18 year old? Jeesh..........

anxiousschk
by anxiouss on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:49 PM

No excuse for the 12 yr old....

As for the 18 yr old..I'd like to bitch slap her.  The "children" aren't alway so innocent in these things.  An ADULT teacher should ALWAYS know better...but damn.  I've seen how those kids come on strong to male teachers...and I've been cornered by male students..and the administration doesn't always help you. 

The teachers should always know better...but in the case of the 18 year old...she shouldn't have a case.  She was 18...was he her teacher directly or just a teacher in the school? I know in VA he'd have to be her teacher directly for it to be an actual case.  I'm sure he'd still be fired either way....but there wouldn't be a legal side to it.

Now...I actually think that this stuff was always going on.  I just think that the mindset of society has changed.   Parents would never have risked exposing their child to such scrutiny as a trial before (if they were really young)...if they were older...well then the girl would have brought it on herself and the boy would have deserved a high five.

lbranta
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:55 PM

Well I have a 12 year old son and if I ever even suspected a teacher was messing with him I would not play the court game, I would just make that woman wish she had never been born.  I believe that some things are handled better without the courts and a good example is what happened with that teacher in Seattle several years ago and what happened when she got out.  Not good enough if its my child. 

MAUREEN55
by Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:59 PM

First of all as far as sending your daughter to private school... I went to a private school and know of three teachers who were messing around with students while I attended. It was a very small school so looking back it it's shocking that it was so common.

I really don't think it's more common than it was, just more publicised.  I also think it should be heavily publicized to dissaude teachers from thinking it's OK.  School administrators should watch young teachers more closely and address this specifically in teacher orientation training. 

bikingmommy
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 6:59 PM

A local private, catholic school had a teacher molesting children for years and nothing was done.  So like the PP it is the same at all types of schools.

anxiousschk
by anxiouss on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:15 PM

I somehow missed the private school comment...what would make a private school so special?

What do you all feel about the 18 year old?

alyssamj24
by Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:49 PM

ok, now i am unsure about private schools as  well....i guess i was hoping there was some type of school that children would be safe at....what a scary world, huh??

all i know about the 12 year old is that his parents wouldnt press charges on the teacher cuz they didnt want him to go through everything, i dont know if the police would have to get involved anyways though and still bring it to court....you would think they would....but i guess since it is statuatory rape it is still up the parents...like if a woman got raped it is up to her to press charges or not??? i dont know if this is right or not, just my thoughts on it!!!

as for the 18 year old, i totally think she is just as much to blame as the male teacher she was sleeping with.....18 year olds no better and they know what is right and what is wrong.  and i hate to judge people without knowing them, but this girl was also working as a stripper.....so obviously she isnt a perfect angel.  i totally am not trying to say that strippers are bad people; i understand that people will do what they need to in order to make money (even though i personally couldnt do it) but that has to say something about her character, right?? and like someone said (i dont remember your name sorry) females can come on strong if they are after a male....she is actually the one who started everything cuz i guess she wrote a love letter to the teacher at the beginning of her junior year when she was in his english class.   i agree that she doesnt have a case at all, i dont even understand how she would think she does!!!

anxiousschk
by anxiouss on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:37 PM

Quoting alyssamj24:

ok, now i am unsure about private schools as  well....i guess i was hoping there was some type of school that children would be safe at....what a scary world, huh??  See, I don't believe it's a scary world at all.  I think this stuff has been happening all along.  I think it's getting far more press now and I think more kids are talking about it now..and I think more parents are pressing charges and coming forward.  I also think that school districts can't really sweep this type of thing under the rug anymore. I don't feel that it's anything new. 

The police should wind up involved regardless (in the case of the 12 yr old).  I know that in a situation that happened relatively locally the police became involved when the parents of a minor wouldn't press charges. 

all i know about the 12 year old is that his parents wouldnt press charges on the teacher cuz they didnt want him to go through everything, i dont know if the police would have to get involved anyways though and still bring it to court....you would think they would....but i guess since it is statuatory rape it is still up the parents...like if a woman got raped it is up to her to press charges or not??? i dont know if this is right or not, just my thoughts on it!!!

as for the 18 year old, i totally think she is just as much to blame as the male teacher she was sleeping with.....18 year olds no better and they know what is right and what is wrong.  and i hate to judge people without knowing them, but this girl was also working as a stripper.....so obviously she isnt a perfect angel.  i totally am not trying to say that strippers are bad people; i understand that people will do what they need to in order to make money (even though i personally couldnt do it) but that has to say something about her character, right?? and like someone said (i dont remember your name sorry) females can come on strong if they are after a male....she is actually the one who started everything cuz i guess she wrote a love letter to the teacher at the beginning of her junior year when she was in his english class.   i agree that she doesnt have a case at all, i dont even understand how she would think she does!!!   Actually...she might very well have a case if he was her teacher while the relationship was going on.  If he taught her in 11th grade, then it might not be likely he was actively instructing her (or having any influence over any aspect of her academic career).  If he was her coach, advisor, teacher, or some type of club leader, he might still be in legal trouble.  Depends on the laws of your state, I believe.

eaglemama2
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:10 PM

I just do not understand what could possibly posess  you to want a sexual relationship with a child.    Aren't you as a teacher, as an adult, as an authority figure supposed to teach, empower, protect and care for all kids in your class / school?  Didn't they take some sort of an oath? WTF?????  Unbelievable, these people deserve to be locked up.

What about the 18 year old, WTH?????  I seriously think the U.S. has too many sue happy people that demand this and that even when they are wrong or guilty, play victims, it's ridiculous.

Two extremes, both incredibly sad.

MommyRat
by Member on Jun. 10, 2009 at 4:35 AM

i think its sick that an adult would want to have a realationship with a 12 year old child. DISGUSTING!!!

As far as tha 18 year old... She's 18, so that means she's legally an adult. i don't know if she could really have a case. I'm thinking the only thing that could really happen is that the teacher could get fired for fratinization. She just sounds like a money hungry bitch to me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)