Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thanks Obama

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:56 PM
  • 124 Replies

BREAKING NEWS: Obama Brings Guantanamo Terrorist To New York

Dear Military Families United Members and Supporters,

We wanted to share with you the below letter from Pete Hegseth at Vets For Freedom, a nonpartisan OIF/ OEF veterans organization concerning the breaking news that the Obama Administration has brought its first Guantanamo Bay detainee into the United States for trial.  Ahmed Khalfan Ghailani, a dangerous terrorist, killed 244 people in 1998 in an attack on the U.S. Embassy in Africa. He also worked with Osama bin Laden and Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and received Al-Qaeda training.  Now he is somewhere in New York.

The below letter gives insight onto the real-life consequences and dangerous implications of handling the GITMO detainee issue with a piece-meal plan. Hegseth served as a guard at Guantanamo Bay in addition to his service in Iraq, and  knows GITMO better than most.  

Dear Friends,

Today the first Guantanamo Bay detainee was brought into the United States. Ahmed Khalfan Ghailani, an Al-Qaeda terrorist, accused in the 1998 U.S. Embassy bombings in Africa was transferred from Guantanamo Bay to New York today. Ghailani has been held at Guantanamo Bay since September of 2006 and now he is on U.S. soil facing charges ranging from conspiring with Osama bin Laden to the murder of the 224 people killed in the Embassy bombing.

Today’s transfer is a major change on how the Obama Administration is handling the War on Terror. By transferring Ahmed Ghailani to civilian court in the US, President Obama appears to be treating a high-value detainee like a citizen criminal, rather than an international terrorist. Ghailani is not a common citizen criminal but a terrorist who robbed 244 families of their loved ones.  In addition, because Ghailani will be tried in a civilian court, he will be granted all of the same rights and protections granted to American citizens.  Ghailani is an enemy combatant and should not be afforded the same rights as you and me.

Today’s news reiterates the point that President Obama still has only a piece-meal plan for the remaining detainees at GITMO.  Making politically-motivated decisions on relocating the detainees could possibly lead to terrorists being released and rejoining the fight to kill American troops.

Military Families United has a petition that they will be presenting to the Obama Administration. If you have not already signed this please do so today. You can find the petition at DontFreeTerrorists.org. In addition, please forward this to as many friends as possible and ask them to sign the petition. Our voices must be heard and we are relying on your help.

Having served at Guantanamo Bay and then as a soldier in Iraq, I witnessed the War on Terror on two vital fronts. I saw how my fellow soldiers risked their lives in battle to capture these terrorists. I witnessed the hard work—and professionalism—it takes to hold them at Guantanamo Bay. Bringing these terrorists into the United States and trying them in civilian courts is not the answer.

Please sign the petition and send this email to your friends and family. For the sake of the troops still fighting two wars overseas, we cannot allow terrorists to be brought and tried in the United States.

Sincerely,

Pete Hegseth
Chairman, Vets for Freedom

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
caitandcarasmom
by Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:14 PM

Umm, he's being held here pending trial.  And this is wrong, how?  Everyone, even a "so-called terrorist" is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.  The letter does not state Ahmed Khalfan Ghailani's country of origin so, from this article alone, he could be a US citizen.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but when a crime is committed on US soil, we have the right to try those convicted of these crimes in our own country.  Isn't that why we have extradition policies?  I personally think that every one of the detainees in Gitmo deserves a fair trial.  Just because they are being held there doesn't necessarily mean that they are guilty or even that there's overwhelming evidence of guilt.  Usually, it's just suspicion and ties with other acts or people.  I am aware that this is not always the case and am not trying to make a generalization here.

BlueStarMom88
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:18 PM

The place where I recieved this article "VETS FOR FREEDOM" don't seem too happy! 

caitandcarasmom
by Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:27 PM

Well, you'll always find some fraction of the population who are against any humane treatment for people who have done our country wrong.  Doesn't change the fact that trial by jury is a basic right in most civilized countries and is a foundation of our country.  In the past, we've put other countries and their acts on trial, why is this any different?  You'll find someone, somewhere who thinks we should just burn all the terrorists or something extreme like that.  It doesn't make it right.

BlueStarMom88
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:42 PM

I did NOT mean VETERINARIANS! 

Della529
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:52 PM

Pete Hegseth...NEOCON  EXTRAORDINAIRE!

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:16 PM

Vets for Freedom is Non-partisan? LMFAO!

Terrorism is a criminal act, there is no terror country or govt. There are many in Gitmo that were turned in by local warlords in Afghanistan when we outsourced ops to them. Some have no terrorist ties at all, they were just enemies of the warlords. They are humans and deserve to be treated as such. If they are proven guilty then take em out.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

BlueStarMom88
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:28 PM

As you see it ,my entire family are terrorist!

BlueStarMom88
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:32 PM

Friday and Della tell me about YOUR kids. Because right now we are discussing mine! 

CjEmmemommy
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:34 PM

Well if someone wanted to say he had alternative motives this would be a good way to get help on our soil. Hummm - Ha just throwing it out here.

preview imagepreview image

Della529
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:37 PM

Quoting BlueStarMom88:

Friday and Della tell me about YOUR kids. Because right now we are discussing mine! 

Pete Hegseth is your son?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)