Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When does it stop

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:57 PM
  • 10 Replies

When will will stop making everything about race or religion or sides? Is it really that hard to allow people to have an opinion without trying to cram race, religion or political preference down their throat?

There is discrimination this and discrimination that but yet it does not matter everyone in some shape or form has been discriminated on. Even the Rockefeller's were discriminated against. What good does shoving race or religion down anyone throat do other than breed hate and segregation?

I am in no way saying people should not have opinions but when you repeat something 1500 times(exaggeration), who are you really trying to prove something to?

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stormcris
by Christy on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:05 PM

I fully take responisbility if this make no sense what so ever. So if it doesn't I appologize.

gogetem
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:07 PM

I've been sick and tired of it for a LONG time.  In this group, its getting REALLY old.  elaborating on what you said, it really is impossible, it seems, for people here to grasp onto what a post is really about.  People always find a way to morph a topic of discussion into an off-topic, defensive rant with no backing.  Redundant and exhausting.

eaglemama2
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:14 PM

It's true, it happens all the time, I will be the first to admit being guilty of that, in some instances, lol.   IDK maybe its just a stupid defensive reflex we are born with, who knows or do we all secretly crave drama? LOL.

eye rolling

stormcris
by Christy on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:24 PM

LOL

Quoting eaglemama2:

It's true, it happens all the time, I will be the first to admit being guilty of that, in some instances, lol.   IDK maybe its just a stupid defensive reflex we are born with, who knows or do we all secretly crave drama? LOL.

eye rolling

copperpenny1954
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:26 PM

Quoting stormcris:

When will will stop making everything about race or religion or sides? Is it really that hard to allow people to have an opinion without trying to cram race, religion or political preference down their throat?

There is discrimination this and discrimination that but yet it does not matter everyone in some shape or form has been discriminated on. Even the Rockefeller's were discriminated against. What good does shoving race or religion down anyone throat do other than breed hate and segregation?

I am in no way saying people should not have opinions but when you repeat something 1500 times(exaggeration), who are you really trying to prove something to?

I believe this has been brought up before?

http://www.cafemom.com/group/99198/forums/read/9013864/Is_this_a_current_events_group_or_a_pro_palestine_islamic_muslim_group?next=1#replies

spoiled_wife
by Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:27 PM

My experiences with people who do this type of thing. Do so because they have nothing else to fall back on.

They come into a discussion with a very set opinion or agenda.  Based on what they perceive to be "facts". Many times, when those "Facts" are proven to be incorrect. Or another valid view point is presented.  Some just aren't willing to admit that they just may have been wrong.  Or unwilling to give any other view point or thought process a chance. Those people are the ones who then turn around and try to beat you to death with their religion or whatever. It's all they have to stand on.

When I encounter someone like that.  I just write them off. I really do. Someone like that is not someone that is open to  learning  from others, they are unwilling to accept that others do believe and see the world differently, and they are usually also the ones that will use their religion to justify anything (no matter how unjust it may be).

stormcris
by Christy on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:30 PM

Well I was bringing up a bit more than religion about this. That particular post I considered to be just about islam and palestine post and this is more about how people turn posts into their platforms. I can see how it would relate perhaps.

Quoting copperpenny1954:

Quoting stormcris:

I believe this has been brought up before?

http://www.cafemom.com/group/99198/forums/read/9013864/Is_this_a_current_events_group_or_a_pro_palestine_islamic_muslim_group?next=1#replies

iluvmommyhood58
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:34 PM
Race, religion, politics... these are hot button topics. People adhere strongly to their beliefs and these topics creep up in issues all the time. I don't see how people aren't agreeing to disagree. No matter how I or anyone else might make a point, it ends here on the site. (yeah, some people take it to a whole different level) I would hope it ends there anyway... It does for me, at least. lol.
stormcris
by Christy on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:41 PM

Yes they are hot topics and touchy ones at that. It should be left in that post. I see people dragging over what is said from one post to use it against someone as a reason to call them out in another post and what good does that do. I just feel sometimes people make things so personal when its not like most of these peoples live influence the peoples real lives they are debating with. It is a debate after all. If it applies so be it otherwise just realize nothing here is a personal attack but then I guess perhaps previous debate team taught me that. You debate your heart out and then it is done like a tennis match you do not go back and replay the same match at other times.(Hopefully that makes sense)

Quoting iluvmommyhood58:

Race, religion, politics... these are hot button topics. People adhere strongly to their beliefs and these topics creep up in issues all the time. I don't see how people aren't agreeing to disagree. No matter how I or anyone else might make a point, it ends here on the site. (yeah, some people take it to a whole different level) I would hope it ends there anyway... It does for me, at least. lol.

stormcris
by Christy on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:55 PM

Just going to add some examples maybe to clarify:

"That is right wing propaganda" when you could have said do you have a neutral source(and yes some people actually have said do you have a neutral source)

"That is racist" (generally used when disagreeing with the president when actual calling a person racist for disagreeing with a person is racist itself.

"That is Christian BS(or something similar)" when it could be said that is your religious standpoint do you have evidence to support this (and lately I have seen a few back this up

It seems to me that quite a few people lately have turned to asking for evidence rather than just tossing an opinion off ....some thing are entirely opinion but do we need to take that opinion and label it and therefore label the person?

Oh and I am sure I have been guilty of something before so I am calling myself on this too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)