• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Infant left in car at El Cerrito BART dies

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:59 PM
  • 13 Replies

The child's mother discovered him unconscious in his father's silver Chrysler about 5:30 p.m. and made a 911 call that brought the Fire Department to the scene 15 minutes later, said BART spokesman Linton Johnson. He said firefighters gave emergency aid and then rushed the baby to Doctors Medical Center in San Pablo, where he was pronounced dead at 6:02 p.m.

Johnson said investigators had determined that the child's father normally dropped him off at a babysitter or nursery in the morning before driving to the station.

"He was supposed to drop the baby off, but somehow the baby was left in the car," Johnson said. "It ended up being a tragedy for everyone involved."

He said the baby's mother went to the station to look for him after learning he wasn't where he was supposed to be. Johnson gave no further details and did not identify the parents or their hometown.

A witness reported seeing a woman, possibly the child's mother, taken from the parking lot on a gurney. Johnson said both parents were driven by ambulance to the hospital, where they were interviewed by BART police.

He asked anyone who might have seen the baby in the car or had other information to call BART police at (510) 464-7040.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/06/08/BA0E183F1B.DTL&tsp=1

This is happening more and more it seems. Happened to a coworker of mine.

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Malapertinent
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:27 PM

That is tragic and disgusting.

One's dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but it cannot be taken away unless it is surrendered

Talee
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:39 PM

It is very tragic. I know I dont think I would ever forget having a baby in my car...but it happened to a coworker of mine and his wife. It was their first baby and she went back to work after 6 weeks. They are a good couple, very responsible, educated etc...they loved their daughter. She was pretty much on autopilot heading to work, baby sleeping and forgot to drop the baby off at the sitters...she didnt realize what she had done until almost lunchtime. I really think she shouldnt have gone back to work so soon after having her 1st baby but I guess that is my own opinion.

If I had a kid again I would take precautions so this never happened, I never heard of this happening to people 15 years ago though.

Its all just very sad and happens a LOT more these days for some reason.

Gweneveer
by Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:41 PM

I read stories like this at least twice a year!!  For the life of me, I cannot understand how you can forget a child in a car.  These people must have their heads up their asses or something.

MrsMouse
by Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:52 PM

Tragic & sad,,will keep them in our prayers         sad

eaglemama2
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:45 PM

It's unbelievable how stupid people are, and worst of all, they usually end up getting a slap on the wrist, when they should be charged with child endangerment at the very least, if not murder - I have zero tolerance for that shit.

Quoting Gweneveer:

I read stories like this at least twice a year!!  For the life of me, I cannot understand how you can forget a child in a car.  These people must have their heads up their asses or something.

mamadixon
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:50 PM

It is a sad state of affairs in society when you are so focused on your job,that you do not remember your child and possibly did not think of them even once throughout the day. Just really sad.

How  people  treat  you  is  their  Karma , how  you  react  is  yours.

crazymomof2374
by New Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:12 PM

This is so horrible. I can't imagine what was on that parent's mind to make them forget that their child was in the backseat. I have 3 children and I don't think I could live with myself if I had done this to one of them.

tericared
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:18 PM

I just dont get it...yes it is sad a baby died. But how in the hell do you forget your kid is in the car with you?

alyssamj24
by Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:54 PM

this is really really sad.  i cant imagine how much guilt that father is going to have live with for the rest of his life.  it isnt like the sick people who hurt children on purpose, i think it is just a horrible mistake and definitly  a tragedy.  i wonder what this will do to the parents marriage?

my baby is 7 weeks old (today!!!) and since she has been born i have actually had dreams about leaving her in my car!!!! not that i think i would do that, but it is just so scary!

tabtabmom
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:43 PM

I just know if it were me I would have called my husband to make sure everything went okay in the morning.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)