Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hot Topic (6/10): Gays in the Military - Don't ask, don't tell?

Posted by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 12:00 AM
  • 52 Replies

Do you think gays should be able to serve openly in the military?

What do you think of the "don't ask, don't tell" policy?

Supreme Court rejects challenge to 'don't ask, don't tell'
Associated Press - June 8, 2009

WASHINGTON – The Supreme Court refused on Monday to hear a legal challenge to the Pentagon's "don't ask, don't tell" policy, a decision that allows the Obama administration to continue its slow, back-burner response to liberal activists who want gays to serve openly in the military.

During last year's campaign, President Barack Obama indicated that he supported eventually repealing the law, but he has made no specific move to do so since taking office in January. The White House has said it won't stop the military from dismissing gays and lesbians who admit their sexuality.

Democrats who control Congress also are not in a hurry to end the policy, which was made law in 1993. Easing the outright ban on gays in the military caused political trouble for President Bill Clinton and Democratic lawmakers that year, and Obama and his congressional allies want to avoid an issue that would roil the public just as they are seeking support for health care and other initiatives.

What are your thoughts?

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IhartU
by Gold Member on Jun. 10, 2009 at 8:33 AM

I fail to see how the sexual orientation of a person interferes with their ability to be a soldier. This is the dumbest law I've ever seen and I hope it eventually gets overturned.

I don't understand what people are afraid of...

iluvmommyhood58
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2009 at 8:40 AM
I don't understand why this is even an issue. These men and women are there to do a job. How would this kind of thing be handled in "real life" or in the workplace?
Truly_Blessedx3
by New Member on Jun. 10, 2009 at 8:45 AM

This is ignorance and discrimination at it's best...I fail to see what one has to do with the other, and believe that we should honor and respect ANY person who wants to fight for and defend our country. JMHO

gogetem
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2009 at 8:58 AM

I asked my husband what he thought.  He said he wants to know if someone in his command is gay.   But, WHY?  What's the point of knowing?  Is it going to make you treat that person differently?  He says, no.... then I said there's no point in him knowing, then.  He never gave me a good argument.  I think I can tell you the reasoning behind this law.

If you've ever been around a bunch of wild sailors or soldiers, you would see that they all joke and kid each other to the point of dropping jaws.  A fellow gay military member that they sleep in the same room with, work in close quarters with, and shower with, would most definitely (and unfortunately) become a target for bullying.  Big-time bullying.  Not all are like this, of course... but many are.    The military is trying to protect them by preventing it in the first place.

Anyway, my husband, who is in the military, wants the law gone (not sure why).  I want the law to stay.  We have a few gay-oriented friends in the military.  Have they blatantly TOLD us?  No.  Butcha just KNOW.  No need to remove the law.

IhartU
by Gold Member on Jun. 10, 2009 at 9:14 AM

Quoting gogetem:

I asked my husband what he thought.  He said he wants to know if someone in his command is gay.   But, WHY?  What's the point of knowing?  Is it going to make you treat that person differently?  He says, no.... then I said there's no point in him knowing, then.  He never gave me a good argument.  I think I can tell you the reasoning behind this law.

If you've ever been around a bunch of wild sailors or soldiers, you would see that they all joke and kid each other to the point of dropping jaws.  A fellow gay military member that they sleep in the same room with, work in close quarters with, and shower with, would most definitely (and unfortunately) become a target for bullying.  Big-time bullying.  Not all are like this, of course... but many are.    The military is trying to protect them by preventing it in the first place.

Anyway, my husband, who is in the military, wants the law gone (not sure why).  I want the law to stay.  We have a few gay-oriented friends in the military.  Have they blatantly TOLD us?  No.  Butcha just KNOW.  No need to remove the law.

They should not have to live in a lie and live in fear of being kicked out for simply being something they can't help. I understand it protects them in a way, but it cannot be healthy for them to constantly conceal a true and real part of themselves. I fail to see how being gay affects picking up a weapon and dying for your country!

MomIWant
by Member on Jun. 10, 2009 at 9:29 AM

IMO in a PERFECT world, you should be able to serve and sacrifice for your country without your sexual orientation being a problem for anyone.  We do not live in a PERFECT world.  Unfortunately, IMO I believe it is safer for you to serve under the don't ask, don't tell policy.  The fact is, there are plenty of homo-phobics and plenty of "undercover" homo-phobics (the ones who use religion as their excuse to hate) and just by wishing these prejudices didn't exist, doesn't make it so.                       

gogetem
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2009 at 9:36 AM

The truth of the matter is, there are a lot of ass holes in the military.  That's all there is to it.  I wish there wasn't a purpose for this law, but  In my experience.... there is.
I can only speak from what I've seen and experienced.  I suppose a gay-oriented person's opinion would be far more justified than the rest, as I have no idea what it is like to live their lifestyle.  I cannot speak for them.

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting gogetem:

They should not have to live in a lie and live in fear of being kicked out for simply being something they can't help. I understand it protects them in a way, but it cannot be healthy for them to constantly conceal a true and real part of themselves. I fail to see how being gay affects picking up a weapon and dying for your country!

gogetem
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2009 at 9:36 AM

My thoughts exactly.

Quoting MomIWant:

IMO in a PERFECT world, you should be able to serve and sacrifice for your country without your sexual orientation being a problem for anyone.  We do not live in a PERFECT world.  Unfortunately, IMO I believe it is safer for you to serve under the don't ask, don't tell policy.  The fact is, there are plenty of homo-phobics and plenty of "undercover" homo-phobics (the ones who use religion as their excuse to hate) and just by wishing these prejudices didn't exist, doesn't make it so.                       

MommyRat
by Member on Jun. 10, 2009 at 9:52 AM

Quoting MomIWant:

i agree with you mom. i think its a shame that gays need to hide their sexual preference, but i think its safer for them. I've been around military pretty much all my life and bartended for 9 years in a bar that primarily catered to the military and it was appauling some of the things these guys would say about gays. And the drunker they got the worse their mouths got. i just don't want to see horrible things happen to innocent gay people just because there are a lot of homophobs in the military.

truckincowgirl
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 10:05 AM

Very well put. This is my opinion also.

Quoting MomIWant:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured