Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Hot Topic (6/10): Gays in the Military - Don't ask, don't tell?

Do you think gays should be able to serve openly in the military?

What do you think of the "don't ask, don't tell" policy?

Supreme Court rejects challenge to 'don't ask, don't tell'
Associated Press - June 8, 2009

WASHINGTON – The Supreme Court refused on Monday to hear a legal challenge to the Pentagon's "don't ask, don't tell" policy, a decision that allows the Obama administration to continue its slow, back-burner response to liberal activists who want gays to serve openly in the military.

During last year's campaign, President Barack Obama indicated that he supported eventually repealing the law, but he has made no specific move to do so since taking office in January. The White House has said it won't stop the military from dismissing gays and lesbians who admit their sexuality.

Democrats who control Congress also are not in a hurry to end the policy, which was made law in 1993. Easing the outright ban on gays in the military caused political trouble for President Bill Clinton and Democratic lawmakers that year, and Obama and his congressional allies want to avoid an issue that would roil the public just as they are seeking support for health care and other initiatives.

What are your thoughts?

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 12:00 AM
Replies (51-52):
momandvet
by on Jun. 12, 2009 at 12:18 AM

Women are in combat.

Quoting cookie_spice:

I am for gays ect.

The reason for not letting guys in the military is the same as not letting women in combat. If two people fall in  love they arent going to be as efficient in combat. Could you bear being in combat with you spouse and if they get shot how efficient are you really going to be. The other people in the unit still depend on you.

Based on this reason alone women can not be in combat. It not as thought the military as inefficiently as it is run is going to segregate people based on sexual preference.  Not to mention gays in the military would have a long road to hoe. Its not like the military is going to change over night. There will be alot of fight because that is just the way it is. Like it or not. Just watch the movie a solder's girl. When I was in tech school the found to guys together. They had to put the guys in the drill sergents office so that he would get hurt or beat up. You should have hear the talk.

On the other hand I would like to know who im rooming with. I would like to know who Im showing with. Both my roomates had a thing for the same sex. I didnt treat them different, but its just nice to know.

cookie_spice
by on Jun. 12, 2009 at 1:16 AM

OK im wrong. Seriously. There are jobs in the military that women cant have and they are front line combat. Yes women are indirectly in front line combat, but not fighting units. They might be nurse like a mash deal. For a long time women couldnt even be military police. I went through the course. I suggest asking a recruiter because women cant hold all places in the military.

Quoting momandvet:

Women are in combat.

Quoting cookie_spice:

I am for gays ect.

The reason for not letting guys in the military is the same as not letting women in combat. If two people fall in  love they arent going to be as efficient in combat. Could you bear being in combat with you spouse and if they get shot how efficient are you really going to be. The other people in the unit still depend on you.

Based on this reason alone women can not be in combat. It not as thought the military as inefficiently as it is run is going to segregate people based on sexual preference.  Not to mention gays in the military would have a long road to hoe. Its not like the military is going to change over night. There will be alot of fight because that is just the way it is. Like it or not. Just watch the movie a solder's girl. When I was in tech school the found to guys together. They had to put the guys in the drill sergents office so that he would get hurt or beat up. You should have hear the talk.

On the other hand I would like to know who im rooming with. I would like to know who Im showing with. Both my roomates had a thing for the same sex. I didnt treat them different, but its just nice to know.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN