Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Former Gitmo Guard Tells All

Posted by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 11:06 PM
  • 4 Replies

Army Private Brandon Neely served as a prison guard at Guantánamo in the first years the facility was in operation. With the Bush Administration, and thus the threat of retaliation against him, now gone, Neely decided to step forward and tell his story. “The stuff I did and the stuff I saw was just wrong,” he told the Associated Press. Neely describes the arrival of detainees in full sensory-deprivation garb, he details their sexual abuse by medical personnel, torture by other medical personnel, brutal beatings out of frustration, fear, and retribution, the first hunger strike and its causes, torturous shackling, positional torture, interference with religious practices and beliefs, verbal abuse, restriction of recreation, the behavior of mentally ill detainees, an isolation regime that was put in place for child-detainees, and his conversations with prisoners David Hicks and Rhuhel Ahmed. It makes for fascinating reading.

First, Neely and other guards had been trained to the U.S. military’s traditional application of the Geneva Convention rules. They were put under great pressure to get rough with the prisoners and to violate the standards they learned.

Second, there is a good deal of discussion of displays of contempt for Islam by the camp authorities, and also specific documentation of mistreatment of the Qu’ran.

Third, the Nelly account shows that health professionals are right in the thick of the torture and abuse of the prisoners—suggesting a systematic collapse of professional ethics driven by the Pentagon itself.

http://informationclearinghouse.info/article22002.htm

by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 11:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Della529
by Matlock on Jun. 11, 2009 at 12:28 AM

This soldier isn't a hot-shot NEO-CON like Pete Hegseth or Gabe Ledeen.

Good for him for describing his experience at Gitmo.

tericared
by on Jun. 11, 2009 at 5:34 PM

People think I hate out troops, that is not so. But I will speak out and up for the men and children who have been abused by some of our armed forces because it is wrong.....And good for this kid foe speaking up and out...

IhartU
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2009 at 6:15 PM

What I don't get is how people in the US have a fit when one of out people are taken prisoner and mistreated, but it's okay for us to that to others.

tericared
by on Jun. 11, 2009 at 10:22 PM

Quoting IhartU:

What I don't get is how people in the US have a fit when one of out people are taken prisoner and mistreated, but it's okay for us to that to others.

Because some people believe we are...[1] better than the rest of the planet, [2] we are above the law and, [3] we are not terrorist.....wrong on all 3 counts....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN