Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Nobel Peace Laureate on Trial in Burma

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2009 at 5:18 PM
  • 10 Replies

Myanmar's military junta recently put Nobel Peace laureate and pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi on trial on flimsy charges that could land her in the country's notorious Insein Prison for 5 years.

Suu Kyi has already spent much of the past 20 years under house arrest. Her prolonged imprisonment in Insein Prison, which has been referred to as the "darkest hell-hole in Burma," could effectively be a death sentence given her declining health.

Click here to call for Suu Kyi's immediate release >>

Despite the long periods of confinement she's endured for the past 20 years, Aung San Suu Kyi's commitment to the struggle for human rights has been an unmatched symbol of hope to the people of Myanmar and an inspiration to those dedicated to justice and human rights the world over.

We know that appealing to authoritarian rulers may seem like an uphill battle, but our partner Amnesty International has proven time and again that even military dictatorships and other repressive regimes are responsive when enough people around the world pressure them to act. Just last year, Ma Khin Khin Leh, another prisoner of conscience in Myanmar, obtained her release after Amnesty helped mobilize activists to send tens of thousands of letters on her behalf.

Suu Kyi is currently scheduled to go on trial this week. The time to act on her behalf is now.

by on Jun. 11, 2009 at 5:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
1bluediamond
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2009 at 6:55 PM

What is she on trial for????

tericared
by on Jun. 11, 2009 at 10:18 PM

Quoting 1bluediamond:

the Nobel Peace Prize winner, who has been detained for 13 of the last 19 years, mostly under house arrest.

Aung San Suu Kyi and two female companions face trial in connection to an incident in which an American man allegedly swam across a lake to her house and stayed there for two days. Following this incident in early May, she was moved from house arrest to Insein prison, where she now awaits trial.

1bluediamond
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2009 at 10:52 PM

Quoting tericared:

Quoting 1bluediamond:

the Nobel Peace Prize winner, who has been detained for 13 of the last 19 years, mostly under house arrest.

Aung San Suu Kyi and two female companions face trial in connection to an incident in which an American man allegedly swam across a lake to her house and stayed there for two days. Following this incident in early May, she was moved from house arrest to Insein prison, where she now awaits trial.

Well butter my butt and call me a biscuitsurprise mini

Gee what happens if she's convicted? I shudder to think!

tericared
by on Jun. 11, 2009 at 10:53 PM

The guy coming to her house was a no no because she was on house arrest...

1bluediamond
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2009 at 11:01 PM

Quoting tericared:

The guy coming to her house was a no no because she was on house arrest...

Yeah, I get that she's been on and off house arrest for the last 20 years, but for what? Was it her humanitarian efforts? Did the Government find her to be a pest?

I mean if they can leave her in prison for 5+ years without a conviction I'm having a hard time thinking the outcome of the trial will be in her favor.

tericared
by on Jun. 11, 2009 at 11:10 PM

Oh yeah she is a pest speaking up for human rights and writing about it. She is brave and has never stopped..

1bluediamond
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2009 at 11:13 PM

Quoting tericared:

Oh yeah she is a pest speaking up for human rights and writing about it. She is brave and has never stopped..

Terica, I'm not calling her a pest. I feel bad for the situation. Obviously I'm interested, I'm just having difficulty understanding such a backward country that's all.

tericared
by on Jun. 11, 2009 at 11:23 PM

Quoting 1bluediamond:

Quoting tericared:

Terica, I'm not calling her a pest. I feel bad for the situation. Obviously I'm interested, I'm just having difficulty understanding such a backward country that's all.

I didnt mean that in a nasty way i was joking about your humor in your remark...They do consider her a pest I am sure........It is amazing how some countries can treat it's people with such little regarde...My biggest pet peeve is the treatment of the people of Tibet, very peaceful and yet they are treated worse that dogs and rats...

1bluediamond
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2009 at 11:30 PM

Quoting tericared:

Quoting 1bluediamond:

Quoting tericared:

I didnt mean that in a nasty way i was joking about your humor in your remark...They do consider her a pest I am sure........It is amazing how some countries can treat it's people with such little regarde...My biggest pet peeve is the treatment of the people of Tibet, very peaceful and yet they are treated worse that dogs and rats...

My stomach turns at the thought and the guilt of being able to be sitting here in my comfortable home being entertained by CM. I thank God everyday for my blessings. My heart aches for those living in genocide countries. Yes thank God for this woman, too bad she had to be born in a such a corrupt country.

tericared
by on Jun. 11, 2009 at 11:35 PM

Even though the US is far from perfect we are blessed to be able to call this place home and speak our minds and walk into a store and buy more food than we can eat, etc.......I hope there is a special place in heaven for people like her......

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)