Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Are we eating our suppressed emotions? and is hypnosis effective in weight management?

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2009 at 7:35 PM
  • 10 Replies
I enjoyed my trip to Chicago...THE FOOD WAS EXCELLENT...but coming back realized how many people are eating any time we are feeling bored...anxious.......or depressed.it is true that sometimes we are running for the ice cream after a fight with our spouse or a painful break up..I HAVE NOTICED IN Dallas people are very overweight...and when they get stressed out they run not in the gym but the local restaurant....How many of you believe that we are over eating as a result of how we are feeling? and why are we using food as a means of managing our emotions?
Joanna...
by on Jun. 11, 2009 at 7:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
3timesoccermom
by Member on Jun. 11, 2009 at 7:39 PM

I definitely do believe it.  I am an emotional eater myself.  Sometimes I'm doing it before I realize it!  I just wonder how it gets started because with 3 other siblings, 2 of us do and 2 of us don't do this. It's also very common to offer kids sweets as a reward, after they get hurt, etc., but it's a bad thing to do.

Athena01426
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2009 at 7:47 PM
i think a became an emotional eater when I started teaching school...I was so mentally engaged with the students and had to eat snacks and all the food delivered in the teacher's lounge..and came home exhausted and eat again with my family...
Joanna...
Athena01426
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2009 at 7:52 PM
I also observed that many other teacher's were eating the same way...and the truth is that we did not needed to consume all these calories sitting in the chair...for hours..and the days of having a lot of stress we did not managed well without food to pacify our feelings of hurt and disapointment any time we had an issue to deal with..
Joanna...
3timesoccermom
by Member on Jun. 11, 2009 at 8:00 PM

Another thing that I feel has greatly contributed to obesity is the easy availability of processed food AND snacks.  You no longer have to chase the chicken, kill it, pluck it, boil it, etc., to have a meal.  There's a fast food joint on every corner and there are 15 million different snack foods/drinks.  That and the sedentary lives many of us lead.

Athena01426
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2009 at 8:25 PM
This is so true...THE FAST FOOD restaurants has really ruin our diet and in many cases our own health...we are just too busy to cook the way our parents did...good homemade meals rich in nutrients..
Joanna...
ta1jade
by on Jun. 11, 2009 at 9:01 PM

I definitely think it's true and I've been guilty of going straight for the ice cream when I'm stressed. but once you're aware of it, it's easier to stop yourself and find better methods to bust stress - whatever works for you. I try to work it out with exercise; always puts me in a good mood :)

Glad to hear you had a good trip, I love going up to Chicago! Where are you from??

Athena01426
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2009 at 11:11 PM
Well,I was born in Greece...and live In Dallas FOR TEN YEARS...All together in TEXAS ABOUT 19 YEARS..I went TO Chicago two weeks ago to check out jobs with my daughter who is also in the Biomedical field...Our jobs are there and not in Dallas...So we are looking forward to a new move ,new friends...and for what I have seen the people in CHICAGO they walk a lot...and stay busy...on the contrary here people love to eat all the time...the pace is slower and the folks seems to me are not really happy...
Joanna...
Athena01426
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2009 at 2:46 PM
i checked many diet plans out there and most of the scientist agree that hypnosis is the best route to take...WHY?It can pinpoint the reasons you are eating ...and the times of the day when you are in touch with your moods...
Joanna...
dereksmommy1227
by on Jun. 12, 2009 at 2:48 PM

Thats a typical normal thing. You eat based on your emotions.  

My Body My Choice

Athena01426
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2009 at 3:44 PM
well,we use food a lot more to pacify our emotions in this country...where I come from people stay active and walk a lot...they believe they should work their emotions...and anger even though it is negative energy can be used in a productive way...
Joanna...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)