Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you keep a gun in your home?

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2009 at 1:18 PM
  • 47 Replies

June 15, 2009

There are few subjects as controversial in the United States as guns.  Gun control advocates vs. the right to bear arms.  The The NRA vs. the Million Mom March.  Child safety is important to all moms, but are guns inherently unsafe?  Should there be guns and diapers in a home?  Dana Loesch asks the panelists, "Do you keep a gun in your home?"

Do you own a gun?  Why or why not?  If you do, how do you protect your kids from your firearm?  Or do you think owning a gun sends the wrong message to your child?

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

by on Jun. 16, 2009 at 1:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
iluvmommyhood58
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2009 at 1:22 PM
Yes, I do. They are not inherently unsafe. My children cannot get to them, that's how it will stay, and, as soon as they're old enough, they'll be taught gun safety. (Personally, I think this is a REALLY good idea whether there's a gun in the home or not) Do I think it sends a wrong message? Absolutely not.
Je_Jette_Poo
by Member on Jun. 16, 2009 at 1:24 PM

I personally do  not.  I'm living with my mom and step dad right now until I can join my husband in Germany. My step dad has guns and I don't have a problem with it. I think me and my hubby need one.

My step dad never keeps them loaded, and has them locked in a case.

I don't think it sends the wrong message. Well, it can. It all depends on what you teach the child and how the child sees you handling the gun.

Safety is one reason my step dad has them and he also has them for hunting. He doesn't want to eat the meat they sell at the grocery stores because of all the added hormones and chemicals and what not. I think it's healthier to eat what you kill, leaner meats with no added chemicals. So I have no problem with it.

Malapertinent
by on Jun. 16, 2009 at 1:24 PM

Yes I do keep a gun in my home. 

It's mine, I purchased it with my own money, just for me.

I keep it close enough to access in an emergency and safely stored.

My children have both used guns b/f and I will continue to educate them on guns, their proper use and safety.

The last thing I want for them is to view it as a novelty, something to brag about, or to be afraid of them.

Recently, we had a slew of home burglaries in that the thieves were stealing food items, nothing more.

If, for some reason, like a trucker strike, or something worse (god forbid) were to happen, I will have to protect what I have.  We live over an hour from the nearest Interstate, so everything is trucked in. 

My kids will not fear guns or view them as toys.

mayzell
by Member on Jun. 16, 2009 at 1:26 PM

No, i hope the day never comes when i need one. i would probably just make the situation worse if i tried to use one.

I never have liked them and i sure don't want to own one.

I do not feel as though there is a threat to my life that would warrant me buying a gun.

sweetie00
by on Jun. 16, 2009 at 1:27 PM

Do you own a gun?  Why or why not?  If you do, how do you protect your kids from your firearm?  Or do you think owning a gun sends the wrong message to your child?

yes, we do, but only bc my husband insisited. It is locked and out of reach. My kids know that guns are extremely dangerous when you do not know how to use it, and they will not learn until they are much older.

As for my personal beleifs about guns, I know that is is a 'right' to own one. However, not w/out regulation. I don't see how owning 100 guns will 'protect' me from govt./anarchy. Seems to me, they only make those situations much worse. And  I would never vote to have them taken away from others. I respect the Constitution, but feel that 'reasonable' regualtion is a no-brainer.

connietrrll
by Member on Jun. 16, 2009 at 1:31 PM

We have several guns in our house. They are used for recreation, hunting, and work. My 12 year old and 16 year old own their own be-be guns. As matter of fact we have 17 of them. My husband used to teach shooters education with them. My husband has 2 a shot gun and rifle. My roommate own a shot gun a rifle and pistols (one is issued by the county. He is a CO in our local jail.) We have 2 babies in the house and all the guns except the beb-be guns have locks on them.

Godgaveme4
by Platinum Member on Jun. 16, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Quoting Cafe GroupAdmin:

June 15, 2009

There are few subjects as controversial in the United States as guns.  Gun control advocates vs. the right to bear arms.  The The NRA vs. the Million Mom March.  Child safety is important to all moms, but are guns inherently unsafe? Guns actually are very safe.  It is some of the people who own guns that are unsafe.  Should there be guns and diapers in a home? Yes.  I am not sure what one has to do with the other but if you choose to have both i think it is fine.  Dana Loesch asks the panelists, "Do you keep a gun in your home?"

Do you own a gun? No.  We own about 10 guns.  just added a nice little Glock to the family yesterday.  Why or why not? Be cause fir\st of all it is our right to own them.  If needed we will have them for self-defense.  And we enjoy as a family target shooting.  My husband also competes in shooting contests at least oncea month.  If you do, how do you protect your kids from your firearm? This is a silly question actually.  My kids do not need to be protected from our firearms.  Alone a firearm can do nothing.  It needs a person to make it work.  But i am sure you know that and just phrased it wrong.  First of all We take gun safety very seriously.  I refuse to leave educating my children about guns up to cartoons, their friends, and the likes of Harrison Ford, Wesley Snipes or Brad Pit.  Our children have been atround guns all of their lives.  They know what happens when you pull the trigger.  And they know not to touch one unless my husband or I are with them.  They also know that if the y come across a gun they are to call for an adult. we alsp keep most of our guns locked up when not in use.  My husbands handgun is on him all the time and in easy reach of him during the night.  Or do you think owning a gun sends the wrong message to your child?
I am not sure how owning a gun could send a wrong message.  Unless you are implying that owning a gun means you plan to do harm to others and you are a criminal.  It is time we get away from that mentality.  t would be great if guns and their legal owners got more positive coverage.  But instead we teach our children that if you own a gun you are probably planning to commit a crime.   How about teaching our children that we live in a country where you have the right to own a weapon to protect yourself for anyone, including a government that could possible get too much power.

MommyTurtle1985
by on Jun. 16, 2009 at 1:39 PM

No i dont have a real gun here at my house. They make me nervous. I just dont think i could sleep at night knowing that there is a gun in my closet. They just dangerous. I preferr a baseball bat or hockey stick.

Good ol' baseball bat! Works just as well. I have a hockey stick behind the door. 

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Jun. 16, 2009 at 1:40 PM

Yes, we have several. They are locked up and unloaded. Ummm, we have them because we like to shoot and DH did competitive shooting. He might go bird hunting this fall but hasn't been in a long time.  

Talee
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2009 at 1:41 PM

I dont have my own personal gun but my man has a pistol we keep at home. It is in a safe place and he has a license to also carry it in public. He is and EMT and firefighter and is huge into safety. He has other hunting guns that are locked up and kept at another location.

I am ALL for keeping guns. Had I or him been home when my house was broken into during the day, the day before christmas eve, those people would have had a suprise. They entered my home and dropped their weapons IN MY SONS ROOM when they realized there was nobody home. They intended to hurt or kill someone if they were home. They had a shovel and my largest kitchen knife. My son was at a friends house that day (THANK THE LORD) because usually he IS HOME.

I believe it is VERY VERY important to be able to protect yourself...ESPECIALLY in this economy.

I dont think owning a gun sends a bad message to my kids at all...its to defend our safety and they know this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)