Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

June 15, 2009

There are few subjects as controversial in the United States as guns.  Gun control advocates vs. the right to bear arms.  The The NRA vs. the Million Mom March.  Child safety is important to all moms, but are guns inherently unsafe?  Should there be guns and diapers in a home?  Dana Loesch asks the panelists, "Do you keep a gun in your home?"

Do you own a gun?  Why or why not?  If you do, how do you protect your kids from your firearm?  Or do you think owning a gun sends the wrong message to your child?

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

by on Jun. 16, 2009 at 1:18 PM
Replies (41-47):
mymichelle2002
by Member on Jun. 17, 2009 at 3:01 AM

Quoting Cafe GroupAdmin:

June 15, 2009

There are few subjects as controversial in the United States as guns.  Gun control advocates vs. the right to bear arms.  The The NRA vs. the Million Mom March.  Child safety is important to all moms, but are guns inherently unsafe?  Should there be guns and diapers in a home?  Dana Loesch asks the panelists, "Do you keep a gun in your home?"

Do you own a gun?  Of course

Why or why not?  I grew up with guns in the house. DH shoots with his buddies.

If you do, how do you protect your kids from your firearm? They're UNloaded and locked. EDUCATION What kind of idiot puts guns in their home and NOT teach their kids about them! 

Or do you think owning a gun sends the wrong message to your child?  A "wrong" message? Define "wrong" The only 'wrong' message is a parent NOT teaching them why they own a gun. I've yet to witness a gun pick itself up and fire. I HAVE however just witnessed news coverage a couple weeks ago of a kid killing his sister because "we were playing and it just went off". WTF!!!!!

AGreenButterfly
by New Member on Jun. 17, 2009 at 4:06 AM

Yes, we keep several guns in our home. However, when babies started arriving, the guns and ammo were separated and locked up.

When I had a dream that my oldest accidentaly shot her baby brother with a gun she found in DH's closet, all the guns were retired to the garage, still separated from the ammo, and locked up.

DH reloads and we love to go shooting on a range or in the desert. I feel that when guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2009 at 8:31 AM

Quoting Goodwoman614:

We always hear about handguns being used for protection, but what are they used for most often-in fact 55% of the time?

A further examination of the self-protection reason begs the question: does carrying a concealed handgun really help the person carrying (typical American citizen) respond to a crisis life-and-death situation successfully?

Whether we are for or against something should be based on a thorough examination of the facts...

A police officer friend used to say there was a reason they had to continually train in handgun proficiency and safety of use...continually being the operative word. 

I have a hand gun but that's because I prefer to shoot hand guns versus riffles. I hope some day when the children are older to do competition shooting with DH. He was on the college riffle team and did competition shooting when he was younger. All guns and bullets are locked up separately. I will never carry a hand gun for protection because I am not confident enough in my ability to shoot without hesitating. I actually decided to learn how to shoot as a 10th wedding anniversary gift to DH and was surprised how much I enjoyed it.

Godgaveme4
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Quoting Goodwoman614:

We always hear about handguns being used for protection, but what are they used for most often-in fact 55% of the time?

So is your point that if guns were illegal that there would be less suicides because You are delusional if you are.  As i stated before, guns are just one of the many tools people use to commit suicide.  If a gun was unavailable then they would use something else.  A bed sheet, a car, a knife, drugs, or a rope.  And if they do not succeed the first time they will keep trying until they do.

And you do not hear about people using them for protection because our media is biased and will only write about how gunmen kill others.  Because, well there is no difference in their minds between a legal gunowner and a criminal.

And the logic that well someone might try to kill themselves with a gun so NO ONE should be allowed to own one is idiotic.  It is like saying that no one should be allowed to drink because someone might drive drunk and kill another, or someone might cut themselves with a knife so we should ban all of them.

A further examination of the self-protection reason begs the question: does carrying a concealed handgun really help the person carrying (typical American citizen) respond to a crisis life-and-death situation successfully?

Yes it does.  The average person that owns a gun and has their conceal carry permit goes through training.  They do not just pick up a gun at the store and then that is it.  And they definitely do not rely on video games and movies to learn how to handle life-death situations.

Whether we are for or against something should be based on a thorough examination of the facts...

You are right.  Anmd i am sorry but a biased report from NBC, ABC, or CBS is not going to do it.  And neither will anything from the Brady Bunch or the Million Mom march as someone brought up earlier.  They all have a tendacy to use the facts they like that will lean in their direection.  And same for the NRA.  Look to a number of different sources that are unbiased and make up your own mind.

A police officer friend used to say there was a reason they had to continually train in handgun proficiency and safety of use...continually being the operative word. 

And who exactly says a person that has a CCP does not continually train?  I know that the range we go to is always busy.  And the handgun training classes that a local police officer does always has a waiting list.

rnjMOM
by Rachel on Jun. 17, 2009 at 2:21 PM

Quoting Double.L:

Yes I have my own personal gun for safety. It does not send the wrong message to my child, once there old enough they will know how to handle, shoot and clean as well. My children are safer because of my knowledge and gun ownership, and I'm confident I have the ability to protect my family. With a military husband I have to be the protector as well.  

I can get to, load and meet the intruder before he can even get to my hallway, we gone over the scenario many times.

Our home is the same way. Several are locked up in a safe where the kids cannot get into it (i have a 5 and 2 year old) and our 9mm is locked in a smaller safe next to the bed, safety on, un loaded so when and if an intruded comes into the home, I have quick access. I will have a little more time though, he has to make it past our 100lb American Bulldog first! =) 

When my sons are 8, they will be taught proper gun handling procedures. Until then, they know that guns are dangerous until you understand when and where to use them and they are too young right now.  I am basically a single parent during the week and I feel safer with a gun in the home. God forbid I should ever have to use it.

spoiled_wife
by Member on Jun. 17, 2009 at 2:23 PM

No we do not own a gun.

I  personally, just have no need nor want for a gun in my home.

Toy-Toy414
by New Member on Jun. 17, 2009 at 8:52 PM

Yes we do own a gun, Im not happy about it. My husband insist on have a gun. All my kids are teenagers but we still keep it locked-up. That's the best way my husband feel we can stay same because we don't live in the best neighborhood.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN