Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

The cost of Health care for the low low price of 1.6T

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2009 at 5:52 PM
  • 12 Replies

WASHINGTON – The latest cost estimates for health care legislation in Congress are around $1.6 trillion over 10 years, two Senate sources said Tuesday as concerns mounted over the price tag for the sweeping overhaul. Two Senate staffers, one Democratic and one Republican, said Congressional Budget Office estimates put the cost of the Finance Committee version of the bill at around $1.6 trillion.

On Monday, the budget office said the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee version would cost $1 trillion over ten years and only cover about one-third of the nearly 50 million uninsured.

The staffers who disclosed the latest estimates spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of negotiations over the legislation.

A third staffer, a Finance Committee Democratic aide who also spoke on condition of anonymity, indicated committee members are working to lower the cost to less than $1 trillion over 10 years, a level preferred by the Obama administration.

Costs are becoming a big worry for moderate Republicans the administration is hoping to win over, as well as for fiscally conservative Democrats. The high estimates have disappointed senators and slowed down the work of key committees.

Sen. Olympia Snowe, R-Maine, on Tuesday said the process that produced Kennedy's bill is "broken."

"We have a fundamental obligation to ensure this legislation does not increase the deficit and, sadly, current congressional health care reform efforts fall woefully short," Snowe said in a statement. Obama also says he wants the bill to be fully paid.

Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius discounted the importance of the early estimates, while saying the administration wants to keep the cost at about $1 trillion over 10 years, with about two-thirds of that coming from shifting funds from existing health programs like Medicare and Medicaid

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090616/ap_on_go_co/us_health_overhaul

Go to fullsize image

by on Jun. 16, 2009 at 5:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
spababy120
by Member on Jun. 16, 2009 at 5:55 PM

hey, that's some expensive free health care

Malapertinent
by on Jun. 16, 2009 at 6:03 PM

Quoting spababy120:

The OXYMORON of the century.

Old saying, maybe off a little...but bottom line...

It's so much more fun spending other people's money than your own.

If you have no moolah...there's a cure for it.  Hard work, honest wages and elbow grease.

I'm starting to feel a little greased...

Pepperlynns
by on Jun. 16, 2009 at 6:33 PM

Quoting Malapertinent:

Quoting spababy120:

If you have no moolah...there's a cure for it.  Hard work, honest wages and elbow grease.

so pi$$ on the ones who can afford health insurance but cant get none cause of pre-exisiting conditions right?

we make 70,000 a yr..pay our fair share in taxes..but im not allowed?...so much for do unto others....

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken..

I'm a 30 yr old mom to 3 kids 9,7,5 yrs old..Wife to  the greatest man in the world of 11 yrs..SAHM..Not looking or giving advice on how to raise MY/YOUR kids..I'm a smoker,a toker,a social gulper..We live in Texas..Im spiritual,anti-gun,non-organic,swearing,President respecting woman..We make good money and buy American made products..

Pepperlynns
by on Jun. 16, 2009 at 6:34 PM

well if the RNC could pull their head out of their ass and give Obama more options.......

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken..

I'm a 30 yr old mom to 3 kids 9,7,5 yrs old..Wife to  the greatest man in the world of 11 yrs..SAHM..Not looking or giving advice on how to raise MY/YOUR kids..I'm a smoker,a toker,a social gulper..We live in Texas..Im spiritual,anti-gun,non-organic,swearing,President respecting woman..We make good money and buy American made products..

spababy120
by Member on Jun. 16, 2009 at 6:42 PM

Quoting Pepperlynns:

well if the RNC could pull their head out of their ass and give Obama more options.......

wow. you're really angry...
spababy120
by Member on Jun. 16, 2009 at 6:44 PM

Quoting Pepperlynns:

Quoting Malapertinent:

Quoting spababy120:

so pi$$ on the ones who can afford health insurance but cant get none cause of pre-exisiting conditions right?

we make 70,000 a yr..pay our fair share in taxes..but im not allowed?...so much for do unto others....

I cannot say this enough in here. It is not the place of the governement to tell me where my charity is due.  It is not anyone's place to tell me what to do with my property. That mitigate's liberty.  I believe that people will do the right thing on their own and do not need a sock puppet to tell them what to do when it comes to helping others that are truly in need.

Why should I pay to support another person?

"Property is the fruit of labor...property is desirable...is a positive good in the world. That some should be rich shows that others may become rich, and hence is just encouragement to industry and enterprise. Let not him who is houseless pull down the house of another; but let him labor diligently and build one for himself, thus by example assuring that his own shall be safe from violence when built."
Abraham Lincoln
mamadixon
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2009 at 6:48 PM

Steal of the century..quite literally.

PestPatti
by on Jun. 16, 2009 at 11:06 PM

Quoting Pepperlynns:

Obama has an option, its called fix the current system.  And thats not what he is doing.   

Patti says >>>>>

WImom2
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2009 at 11:17 PM

Quoting spababy120:

Quoting Pepperlynns:

Quoting Malapertinent:

Quoting spababy120:

I cannot say this enough in here. It is not the place of the governement to tell me where my charity is due.  It is not anyone's place to tell me what to do with my property. That mitigate's liberty.  I believe that people will do the right thing on their own and do not need a sock puppet to tell them what to do when it comes to helping others that are truly in need.

Why should I pay to support another person?

You shouldn't have to, and neither should I. No one should be forced to support someone else. PERIOD. Honestly I agree with everything you have said!

Cathy1983km
by on Jun. 16, 2009 at 11:29 PM

I think that everyone should have insurance. I do not believe the government should provide insurance, but there should be laws stating that insurance companies can only charge so much, and they shouldn't be able to drop people for just anything, or deny someone insurance because they have a "pre-existing condition."

wedding countdown

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN