Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Rush and his spreading of lies..

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2009 at 6:52 PM
  • 93 Replies

I read part of a radio show Rush did about Obama's recent speech in Cairo,  I wont post it here because it is full of untruths and I dont have the time or energy to do research to dispute it. any way Rush said this....This is simply outrageous.  It was absurd, in fact.  Let's see.  Where do we start here?  "It was innovation in Muslim communities that developed the order of algebra."  No.  The origins of algebra trace back to the ancient Babylonians.  They were not Muslims.  Algebra was temporarily developed by the ancient Greeks and later the English. 

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_060409/content/01125108.guest.html 

Why is it alright for people to go onto the airwaves and say what ever they want and call it the truth?

By 2000 BC the Babylonians had a well-developed algebra which was capable of solving quadratic equations by using a general formula as well as completing the square. This Babylonian algebra and the one developed by the Muslims in the 8th through 12th centuries AD were based on words rather than the symbolic type which arose in the 16th century AD in Europe and is now used. The very name of the subject, algebra, comes from the title of al-Khowarizmi's book on the subject, Hisab al-jabr wal-mugabalah, the science of reunion and opposition. In its everyday usage, al-jabr meant "reuniter of broken bones" or "bonesetter." The Muslim mathematician Omar Khayyam (better known today as a poet and author of The Rubricat) even developed geometric algorithms (another word with a Muslim origin) for solving some cubic and quartic equations.

http://scidiv.bellevuecollege.edu/Math/BabylonCubicsTartaglia.html

by on Jun. 16, 2009 at 6:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tericared
by on Jun. 16, 2009 at 6:55 PM

And why do some just turn ontheir radio and take who ever is talking as the truth?  Sweet Niblets I havent been in high school in over 20 years but I do still recall Muslims having something to do with the discovery of Algebra....and yes it was a public school in the good old USA

Talee
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2009 at 7:03 PM

Ill be honest, I rarely watch TV...I hate the news, and if i do listen to news on the radio I listen to the world news channel (sattelite).

I don't listen to Rush at all anyway...he just seems like a really mean person. 

tericared
by on Jun. 16, 2009 at 7:06 PM

Quoting Talee:

Ill be honest, I rarely watch TV...I hate the news, and if i do listen to news on the radio I listen to the world news channel (sattelite).

I don't listen to Rush at all anyway...he just seems like a really mean person. 

I dont listen to him either, just a story I ran across  about it, and he is a mean person from the research I have done on him.

Gypsyuma
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2009 at 7:21 PM

Just the sight of him or the sound of his voice makes me sick.... so I have no clue what he says, and to be honest, could care less.

itsmesteph11
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2009 at 7:35 PM

Personally, I think it is petty to go through someones talking points and pick out debatable points and then say they lied about them.  I doubt there are to many here who are going to run out and look it up because you mentioned it so they will either believe you or not care as in my case.   So many Libs take this route and yet blast conservatives for supposedly doing it. I think you just hate Rush, Hannity and O'Riely too probably. I bet you are for silencing the conservative radio aren't you?  

tabtabmom
by on Jun. 16, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Who cares? I thought India had the most mathematicians.

tericared
by on Jun. 16, 2009 at 7:55 PM

Quoting itsmesteph11:

Personally, I think it is petty to go through someones talking points and pick out debatable points and then say they lied about them.  I doubt there are to many here who are going to run out and look it up because you mentioned it so they will either believe you or not care as in my case.   So many Libs take this route and yet blast conservatives for supposedly doing it. I think you just hate Rush, Hannity and O'Riely too probably. I bet you are for silencing the conservative radio aren't you?  

I posted the link to the radio broadcast and as I stated in the OP the whole thing is full of untruths I did not have the time to go do research on all of it, also not my problem if people dont click the link.....would you like to debate his ignorant remarks about Algebra? Or cant you get past your blatant disgust with me to even read the post?

Scorpio359
by on Jun. 16, 2009 at 9:09 PM

Quoting tericared:

Quoting itsmesteph11:

I posted the link to the radio broadcast and as I stated in the OP the whole thing is full of untruths I did not have the time to go do research on all of it, also not my problem if people dont click the link.....would you like to debate his ignorant remarks about Algebra? Or cant you get past your blatant disgust with me to even read the post?

If you don't have time to read it how do you know what it says? You don't make any sense.

Dylansmom32509
by on Jun. 16, 2009 at 9:21 PM

Good ol rush. I dont take anything he says seriously because in my eyes he is a clown.

mamadixon
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2009 at 9:21 PM

Ok I have read both links and your post several times and I am not getting what the problem is. Obama ,in his speech ,spoke of Muslims setting forth Algebra..which they did several thousand years after the Babylonians first did.Explain what was wrong with that other than being nit picky?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)