Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Rush and his spreading of lies..

Posted by   + Show Post

I read part of a radio show Rush did about Obama's recent speech in Cairo,  I wont post it here because it is full of untruths and I dont have the time or energy to do research to dispute it. any way Rush said this....This is simply outrageous.  It was absurd, in fact.  Let's see.  Where do we start here?  "It was innovation in Muslim communities that developed the order of algebra."  No.  The origins of algebra trace back to the ancient Babylonians.  They were not Muslims.  Algebra was temporarily developed by the ancient Greeks and later the English. 

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_060409/content/01125108.guest.html 

Why is it alright for people to go onto the airwaves and say what ever they want and call it the truth?

By 2000 BC the Babylonians had a well-developed algebra which was capable of solving quadratic equations by using a general formula as well as completing the square. This Babylonian algebra and the one developed by the Muslims in the 8th through 12th centuries AD were based on words rather than the symbolic type which arose in the 16th century AD in Europe and is now used. The very name of the subject, algebra, comes from the title of al-Khowarizmi's book on the subject, Hisab al-jabr wal-mugabalah, the science of reunion and opposition. In its everyday usage, al-jabr meant "reuniter of broken bones" or "bonesetter." The Muslim mathematician Omar Khayyam (better known today as a poet and author of The Rubricat) even developed geometric algorithms (another word with a Muslim origin) for solving some cubic and quartic equations.

http://scidiv.bellevuecollege.edu/Math/BabylonCubicsTartaglia.html

by on Jun. 16, 2009 at 6:52 PM
Replies (91-93):
spababy120
by Member on Jun. 17, 2009 at 9:07 PM

Quoting gina475:

I'm trying to figure out what ya'll are arguing about because....

Babylon was a city-state of ancient Mesopotamia, sometimes considered an empire, the remains of which can be found in present-day Al Hillah, Babil Province, Iraq, about 85 kilometers (55 mi) south of Baghdad. All that remains of the original ancient famed city of Babylon today is a mound, or tell, of broken mud-brick buildings and debris in the fertile Mesopotamian plain between the Tigris and Euphrates rivers, in Iraq. Although it has been reconstructed, historical resources inform us that Babylon was at first a small town, that had sprung up by the beginning of the third millennium BCE (the dawn of the dynasties). The town flourished and attained prominence and political repute with the rise of the First Babylonian Dynasty. It was the "holy city" of Babylonia by approximately 2300 BCE, and the seat of the Neo-Babylonian Empire from 612 BCE. The Hanging Gardens of Babylon were one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World.

It appears that Babylon and the Middle East are the same....

I do not think anyone is disputing the location past and present. The discussion taking place has to do with the origins of algebra where Obama purported it started with the Muslims except that the Babylonians were not Muslim.  Islam had not yet come.  It came way after Jesus was crucified. Hundreds of years. The Babylonians were established before Jesus.  The Ancient Greeks also contributed (Pythagorean Theory anyone?) And helped perfect the concept. 

Arabians developed the concept of the zero, a very imprtant contribution to mathematic, but again, they were not Muslim either.

My point was, that in previous posts we have talked about religion verses culture. and now for some reason b/c it comes form the same region where Muslims are prevalent today but were non-existent back then, it seems to be ok, to lump them in with these great acheivements even though it was a different time, nation, and culture.

And I see what the OP is saying but to have her say Rush is lying, I don't her disproving his point.

sheenashina1964
by Member on Jun. 23, 2009 at 1:24 AM

eye rolling

blondekosmic15
by on Jun. 23, 2009 at 2:56 AM

Quoting sheenashina1964:

eye rolling

Well stated! Short n' to the point!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)