Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A Very Costly Kiss: Senior Denied Diploma *Poll*

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2009 at 11:02 PM
  • 14 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you think the punishment fit the "crime?"

Options:

Yes

No

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 34

View Results

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet today, but I thought this was interesting. I'm not sure what the whole story is, but I can't imagine that what this young man did was unruly behavior (or whatever the rules were). Do you think the punishment fit the "crime?"

A Very Costly Kiss: Senior Denied Diploma

by Mike Krumboltz

For teens, there is no greater joy than graduating high school. Shaking off the shackles of education and claiming that hard-fought diploma is truly an epic day. Unfortunately, for several students at Bonny Eagle High School in Maine, their natural exuberance has led to some surprisingly serious problems.

On Friday night, when the senior class was waiting to graduate, excitement began to grow. Students bounced a large inflatable rubber duck. The noise level rose. And then came "the kiss." When called, one student walked on stage to receive his diploma and blew a kiss to his family. The school administrator, clearly not the sentimental sort, sent the student back to his seat ... sans diploma.

The seemingly harsh punishment has sent the Web all aflutter. Searches on "student denied diploma" and "bonny eagle high school" are both through the roof. Additionally, blogs and news papers are chiming in with opinions on whether or not the administration overreacted. The student's mother has given interviews and is quite upset at her son's treatment. According to an article from Fox News the outraged mother said, "A bow, a kiss to your mom is not misbehavior."

But the administrators feel they were just enforcing the rules that students agreed to. At a meeting following the debacle, school superintendent Suzanne Lukas said that "if a student doesn't adhere to the expectations, then the consequences are clearly spelled out."

This isn't the first time that rambunctious (dare we say "fun"?) behavior affected a graduation ceremony at Bonny Eagle. "Four years ago we had some issues with silly string and beach balls," said Lukas.

by on Jun. 16, 2009 at 11:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crazdlilangel19
by Member on Jun. 16, 2009 at 11:07 PM

only going on what i read here.. this is TOTAL BS! If an administrator did this to my child, you can bet I would get their ass fired! I came to my childs graduation to see my child (who i helped for 13 long years) get their diploma! And if my child wanted to blow me a kiss? SO BE IT! graduation is supposed to be a happy occasion, not a stressful one. I'd be one pissed off mom if it were my kid!

I am a single, tried breast but bottle-feeding, vaccinating, cosleeping, circumsizing, baby-wearing, pro-life, sweet tea drinkin, animal loving, Walmart-shopping, SUV driving, proud to be from the south Rebublican young mama of a C-section baby boy!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

gilbertgrl627
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2009 at 11:10 PM

Exactly! Blowing a kiss isn't anywhere near bouncing a beach ball around (and even that's not that bad-lol). I think my school set up some rules, too, before I graduated (9 years ago), but they never would've denied us our diplomas if we blew a kiss to our family. I mean, what, would they have done it if the kid waved to his parents? Or pumped his fist in the air?

Quoting crazdlilangel19:

only going on what i read here.. this is TOTAL BS! If an administrator did this to my child, you can bet I would get their ass fired! I came to my childs graduation to see my child (who i helped for 13 long years) get their diploma! And if my child wanted to blow me a kiss? SO BE IT! graduation is supposed to be a happy occasion, not a stressful one. I'd be one pissed off mom if it were my kid!

tericared
by on Jun. 16, 2009 at 11:13 PM

Like i stated in my post about this wrong wrong wrong, could you imagine your kid being denied his diploma for this?

momoftwins240
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2009 at 11:07 AM

Quoting crazdlilangel19:

Yep, what she said!  This is BS!

jrdnjstn00
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2009 at 4:19 PM

I saw this on the front yahoo.com page

How ridiculous! Why can't the senoirs have a lil fun on their way to get their diploma? Bounce a ball, throw a kiss to your family, do a victory dance......

I'm sure he'll still get his diploma but they denied him the excitement of receiving it on stage. I wonder how the school is going ot react now that the story is all over the web

sweetie00
by on Jun. 17, 2009 at 4:34 PM

They are just trying to send a message about following the rules.....However, those rules are BS!

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2009 at 4:40 PM

Well, it sounds like this particular incident didn't warrant the punishment.

It's a hard one though. My mom has taught in public schools for a long time, and has been reduces (along with the rest of the staff) to security guard at graduation. The parents encourage the crazy behaviour- they boo the class presidents speech- on and on. It's weird.

Stand up, this is comedy. The DNA lotto may have left you smart, but can you stand up to beauty- dictator of the heart. I can stand up for hope, faith, love but while I'm getting over certainty. Stop walking God across the road like a little old lady. - Bono

PA-PAGrandma
by on Jun. 17, 2009 at 5:45 PM

That school can be happy that Iwas not a student. I am 67, have a BS in Criminal Justice, and that school did an injustice to that student that will stay forever.

The parents of the student should sue the person or persons who did that. All, I can say is:How Evil". 

eaglemama2
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2009 at 6:07 PM

Seriously? LOL   almost as pathetic as that one poster about some seniors that used sidewalk chalk and wrote a very obscene message:

CLASS OF 2009             WTF????

possummom
by on Jun. 17, 2009 at 6:09 PM

that school way over reacted. he was blowing a kiss to his family....not making out with some girl!! they just need to get over it!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured