Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What are Some Churches Teaching People?

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2009 at 1:55 AM
  • 74 Replies

Sunday, my cousin asked me if I would go to church with her. I hadn't gone to church in years, so I decided, why not. To my surprise, I wish I would have never stepped foot in that door. The preacher preached the whole time about other religions, and how "in the dark" they are. He talked about their recent trip to Israel, and how their Muslim bus driver was a nice man, but still needs to be saved.. he went on and on about gays, abortion, government.. you name it. I quit hearing him after about the first 30 minutes, and I was thinking to myself, wow.. and this is Christianity? I have come to realize where and how so many people are ignorant to tolerance, and have their stereotypical thinking stuck in their head. I kept thinking... what would Jesus say, if he was standing here? At the same time, which was even more amazing to me, is that he was talking about Christians being persecuted for their beliefs all over the world. Yet, he was spreading the same kind of virus to other beliefs.. how more one sided, and ignorant can one be? My cousin and I had a long talk after we left that day, she told me that she was going to start looking for another church, she was disgusted as well..

by on Jun. 17, 2009 at 1:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jzsgrandma
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2009 at 2:37 AM

WOW I can relate, honestly!!! My sister and I would call it the church search. We would get the yellow pages and start crossing them off. Sometimes we wouldnt make it through 20 min. of the service and have to get up and leave. Thats ok. Im glad you went. Im glad your cousin invited you and I hope that you two start your own church search. PLEASE know that is not what Christianity is all about. It is very easy to get a bad after taste while looking for a home church. We tend to look for perfect ppl, with perfect lives, and a message that makes us walk away feeling warm and fuzzy every week. Not possible. Please dont give up though, when you search for Christ with all your heart, you will find Him. 

tericared
by on Jun. 17, 2009 at 2:46 AM

Some Pastors are like that, in all religions. Sad but true...In my 20 years as a Christians it was very rare to find a Pastor that preached {taught } the Bible, I am also glad you went.....

Sweetfairy28
by Member on Jun. 17, 2009 at 2:49 AM

The last time i went to church the preacher went on how we shouldn't dress like Jezebels and how we are raising a bunch of bastard children. His words not mine. I felt so bad because a lady was in there with tons of jewelry and makeup. She was having a good ol time until he opened his mouth. It was like his sermon was on her clothing. This was a church where the women only wore dresses and weren't allowed makeup. The places my foster parents made me go.

blondekosmic15
by on Jun. 17, 2009 at 3:44 AM

I have been attending Church for 31 yrs. now.....never heard a Priest offer comments such as this. Yes, several issues you mentioned are condemned in the Scriptures but the majority of Priests & Ministers are more compassionate concerning the wisdom of the Scriptures. There is a right & a wrong way to present the Truth in reference to sin. Sadly many times the leaders of the Church may accept to follow the opposite path & never speak up about sinful actions which deeply offend God. This is very dangerous b/c  ppl. will continue in their sinful lives w/ out repentance consequently losing their souls. There is a grave danger in this respect also. The primary role of a Priest or Minister is the salvation of souls....everything else is secondary! Instilling God's love n' mercy in ppl's. hearts is paramount but never absent of reminding others that there are severe consequences to serious sin when one fails to express sincere sorrow from the heart for their transgressions! God is full of love & mercy but he also is a just God! Our Lord himself warned...the path to Heaven is narrow * few find it. The path to destruction { Hell } is wide * many go therein. Jesus did not offer these words of wisdom lightly but he is attempting to inspire each 1 of us to be very good & to obey his Teachings & Commandments. He is very much aware whose names are written in the Book of Life. Jesus also reminded us that the Angels rejoice in Heaven when 1 great sinner is saved from Hell....

Tolerance is a positive attribute in a person's life but never @ the expense of being silent & helping another to continue down the path of sin~

realPatientMama
by on Jun. 17, 2009 at 3:58 AM

OP the reasons you listed are some of the reasons why I left Christianity.  I too got tired of all of it.

I don't know what their reasons are behind it, my guess is fear.

Growing up as an Episcopalian, I was taught that everyone was a Christian or a non-believer who was going to Hell.  That was it, no one taught me about Hinduism, Buddhism, Pagans, Atheist, Muslims....nothing.  Which is why I will not allow my children to grow up in this ignorance.

My husband is a Muslim, has been all of his life, he grew up in Kuwait and attended Catholic school for 8 years.  He studied the Bible cover to cover and says his best school years were at that Catholic school.  My 2 boys attend a Catholic school now, not really by choice because there are no other schools around to go to.  I could home-school my kids if I wanted to, since they are only 4 and 5 1/2.  But I choose to let them attend Catholic school.

I want my children to know there are other religions or lack of in the world, I don't want my children to grow up fearful of them, I want them to understand them.

Hate breeds hate.

nonabear
by on Jun. 17, 2009 at 4:12 AM

I would like to add my thoughts on this subject, if I may. I was brought up in a 'Christian' home, with very strict parents. Up until the age of 13 I was made to go to 'sunday school' and after that to church service each sunday morning. Most times my parents didn't go. My brother and I walked a mile there and backAs an adult, I decided to try a few other churches, but they all seemed to be the same. Except for the Seventh Day Adventists. I liked that they were vegitarian and concious of the world of nature. But I didn't stay there either. I don't go to CHURCH at all now, but I am still a believer in God and Jesus as his son. The Bible is a very hard book to understand, especially without help to understand it.

My principals of living now are basic. I believe in an almighty power and that whoever we are and whatever we do WILL be judged one day. I try to live by the saying: Do unto others and you would have them do unto you.

I don't think it gets any easier than that!!!!!

Karatemomlisa
by on Jun. 17, 2009 at 4:18 AM

Not all Christians are like that, but it has taken me a very long time to find a church that isn't such as you describe.  I think it is talked about it in the New Testament when a church is told that they have left their "first love."  The church was so bent on throwing out wickedness that they forgot that Jesus just wants us to love Him and eachother.

blondekosmic15
by on Jun. 17, 2009 at 4:36 AM

Quoting realPatientMama:

OP the reasons you listed are some of the reasons why I left Christianity.  I too got tired of all of it.

Growing up as an Episcopalian, I was taught that everyone was a Christian or a non-believer who was going to Hell.  That was it, no one taught me about Hinduism, Buddhism, Pagans, Atheist, Muslims....nothing.  Which is why I will not allow my children to grow up in this ignorance.

My husband is a Muslim, has been all of his life, he grew up in Kuwait and attended Catholic school for 8 years.  He studied the Bible cover to cover and says his best school years were at that Catholic school.  My 2 boys attend a Catholic school now, not really by choice because there are no other schools around to go to.  I could home-school my kids if I wanted to, since they are only 4 and 5 1/2.  But I choose to let them attend Catholic school.

Thank you for sharing this. I am a Catholic Christian & I was not aware that Nations such as Kuwait had very many Catholic Churches or schools. Are they very limited?

I want my children to know there are other religions or lack of in the world, I don't want my children to grow up fearful of them, I want them to understand them.

Hate breeds hate.

realPatientMama
by on Jun. 17, 2009 at 5:00 AM

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting realPatientMama:

Thank you for sharing this. I am a Catholic Christian & I was not aware that Nations such as Kuwait had very many Catholic Churches or schools. Are they very limited?

Hate breeds hate.

There were many about 30 years ago. My husband hasn't lived there since the war so he is not 100% sure.  He still has friends there that say a large percentage of Catholics are becoming Evangelicals.  

He did tell me the teachers in the Catholic schools in Kuwait are all Nuns.  Not like where my children attend school.

blondekosmic15
by on Jun. 17, 2009 at 5:09 AM

Quoting realPatientMama:

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting realPatientMama:

Hate breeds hate.

There were many about 30 years ago. My husband hasn't lived there since the war so he is not 100% sure.  He still has friends there that say a large percentage of Catholics are becoming Evangelicals.  

He did tell me the teachers in the Catholic schools in Kuwait are all Nuns.  Not like where my children attend school.

I was born in Texas & partially raised in that state { lived in various parts of the world }...the Nuns were the teachers in the Catholic schools when I attended. Some of them were very strict. Nice to hear about the Catholic & Evangelical Churches & Schools in other parts of the world. I hear about Christianity including Catholicism in Iraq...small but growing!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)