Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What are Some Churches Teaching People?

Posted by   + Show Post

Sunday, my cousin asked me if I would go to church with her. I hadn't gone to church in years, so I decided, why not. To my surprise, I wish I would have never stepped foot in that door. The preacher preached the whole time about other religions, and how "in the dark" they are. He talked about their recent trip to Israel, and how their Muslim bus driver was a nice man, but still needs to be saved.. he went on and on about gays, abortion, government.. you name it. I quit hearing him after about the first 30 minutes, and I was thinking to myself, wow.. and this is Christianity? I have come to realize where and how so many people are ignorant to tolerance, and have their stereotypical thinking stuck in their head. I kept thinking... what would Jesus say, if he was standing here? At the same time, which was even more amazing to me, is that he was talking about Christians being persecuted for their beliefs all over the world. Yet, he was spreading the same kind of virus to other beliefs.. how more one sided, and ignorant can one be? My cousin and I had a long talk after we left that day, she told me that she was going to start looking for another church, she was disgusted as well..

by on Jun. 17, 2009 at 1:55 AM
Replies (71-74):
Godgaveme4
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2009 at 5:01 PM

Quoting HeAvEnLyMoMoF3:

NOW IF YOU WANT TO GIVE A CHECK OR DONATION TO THE CHURCH FOR A MISSION OR ANYTHING THAT IS CHURCH RELATED THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT AND I WOULDN'T MIND DOING THAT BUT I'M SAYING THAT SOME CHURCHES GO OVERBOARD AND I THINK PEOPLE SHOULD ONLY BE ASKED TO DONATE WHAT THEY CAN AFFORD I ALWAYS GIVE WHAT I CAN AFFORD GOD DOES GREAT DEEDS FOR OTHERS IN RETURN FOR THEIR GREAT DEEDS AS WELL BUT IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE MONEY RELATED EITHER GOD ALSO UNDERSTANDS THAT $500.00 OR $1000.00 PROBABLY HAS TO GO TO PEOPLE'S MONTHLY BILLS, RENT OR MORTGAGE, GROCERIES ETC. ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU HAVE CHILDREN I WILL ALWAYS SPEND MONEY ON MY CHILDRENS FOOD OR WHATEVER THEY NEED FIRST THAN IF I HAVE ENOUGH LEFT OVER THAT CAN GO TO CHARITY

But you see that is the difference.  Many people give to God first and then count on his to provide the rest.  Amybe $500.00 is a hardship for some people but they feel giving that money to their church for a mission project is important.  They know that without God they would not have all that they do have.  And for them to give some of that money they are honoring God and they know that He will continue to honor them.

I am not saying i agree with churches asking for set amounts from each member.  But i see nothing wrong with them telling the congregation their needs in order to make their monthly budget.  And it is not the pastors that set that.  It is a committee of members that take care of the budget.  Many pastors have actually stopped dealing with the financial part of the church because they do not want there to be that suspicion.

And please to do not feel that i am picking on you.  Tithing is a very hard thing.  It is something we struggle with also.  I have learned that we do not all travel the same road with our faith.  We all have the same destination but each of our experiences are different.  Some are alble to contribute money more while others can donate their time more easily.  And some are able to sit down and study the word more often or attend Bible studies more often.  While others read when they get  a free moment.  I know God has provided me just what I needed for the time i am in right now.  He has given me friends that love Him and I get to fellowship with each week.

susanlea
by Member on Jun. 19, 2009 at 8:43 PM

Quoting Godgaveme4:

Quoting susanlea:

Good thing you weren't there for the giving of the commandments by Moses, you wouldn't have liked that either!

Okay that was funny!laughingCan you imagine Moses tryiing to be politically correct when presenting them to the people.  Or telling them without hurting anyones feelings?

I appreciate your comment about my comment. you totally got what i was trying to say . Moses told it like it was, and i am sure he stepped on some toes, well sometimes the truth hurts or makes us uncomfortable!

Susan Taylornurse

Mama2JoshKatie
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2009 at 2:48 AM

I go to a non-denominational church and it is nothing like what a lot of you describe. I believe there are a lot of churches that are way off balance, but trust me there are a lot of good ones too. There is a big banner hanging up on the side of our church that says "come as you are" and can be see from quiet a distance. Jesus accepted people just as they are, and we need to do the same. At our church we dress casually, you will see people in jeans and tee-shirts there. Our pastor preaches love and compassion for everyone. You can walk in the door with purple spiked hair, tattoos all over your body, a needle stuck in your arm and a can of beer in your hand and we will accept you. Mind you we wont give you a ministry position right away, lol, but we will love you and help you get cleaned up and do what Jesus would do. Please realize though that Jesus, while he loved sinners, was not saying that it was okay for them to continue in their sin. There is a difference between accepting a person just as they are, and embracing their sin and acting like nothing is wrong. Repentance and turning away from sin, acknowledging Jesus died for your sins, is what salvation is and salvation is a free gift available to every person no matter their religous background, sexual orientation, or anything.

RobinRose222
by New Member on Jun. 20, 2009 at 9:58 AM

It sound like a Baptist Church to me. I had same experience except. They were attacking all parents and telling them we are liars, using Santa Clause as our first lie. They over step. They will talk the talk, but once out of church. They are hippocrates. Stop going . RobinRose

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN