Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Alternative Forms of Schooling

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2009 at 5:58 PM
  • 11 Replies

How many different forms of schooling your children (besides public education) are you aware of? Have you ever considered doing it?

Here are a couple to start ....

Classical Education

Unschooling

University Model

by on Jun. 17, 2009 at 5:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamadixon
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2009 at 6:04 PM

We put a lot of thought into all of the options or at least as many as we could find before coming to our decision.I can't think of too many more than you listed..but would Montessori be one?

lacylady
by on Jun. 17, 2009 at 6:04 PM
Home Schooling I have tried it. Been home schooling for two years. Started my son in 9th grade he should be a 11th grader this year. He isn't in the 11th grade. He is being tested by the state for his 12th grade diploma for entrance into college this school year. We used our time so much wiser,no worries of school bomb threats,fights,or other things like gun violates. He has grown and changed over these two years so much....Do it again in a heartbeat.

Quoting Eilish:

How many different forms of schooling your children (besides public education) are you aware of? Have you ever considered doing it?

Classical Education

Unschooling

University Model

mamadixon
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2009 at 6:05 PM

OT..but I love your avatar...got a cowboy thing..LOL

Quoting lacylady:

Home Schooling I have tried it. Been home schooling for two years. Started my son in 9th grade he should be a 11th grader this year. He isn't in the 11th grade. He is being tested by the state for his 12th grade diploma for entrance into college this school year. We used our time so much wiser,no worries of school bomb threats,fights,or other things like gun violates. He has grown and changed over these two years so much....Do it again in a heartbeat.

Quoting Eilish:

Classical Education

Unschooling

University Model

stormcris
by Christy on Jun. 17, 2009 at 6:06 PM

I prefer a combination of unschooling with kinesthetic classical learning. I incorporate a type of osmosis learning and negative learning styles into this. along with inverse learning.

mamadixon
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2009 at 6:07 PM

WOW..that is us exactly..hmmmm

Quoting stormcris:

I prefer a combination of unschooling with kinesthetic classical learning. I incorporate a type of osmosis learning and negative learning styles into this.

PamR
by Pam on Jun. 17, 2009 at 6:11 PM
I happily send my children to public school. We're lucky to have a good one.
witch_e_woman
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2009 at 6:30 PM
Depends on what it is your looking for as far as education.

There are various Religious educational schls, schls for children that are advanced, schls that are for children w/ certain disabilities(emotional as well as physical), homeschling,...

It all depends on what you feel is best as well as the specific needs of your child(ren).
PurdueMom
by Sherri on Jun. 17, 2009 at 8:33 PM

Quoting PamR:

I happily send my children to public school. We're lucky to have a good one.

Same here, except there was no luck involved.  We researched the area and made sure the schools were good before we moved here.

Sherri
WImom2
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2009 at 8:39 PM

We homeschool.

copperpenny1954
by on Jun. 17, 2009 at 8:57 PM

Quoting Eilish:

Classical Education

Unschooling

University Model

There are a number of online schools that teach from first grade all the way to AP classes.  My GD is doing extra work this summer online in a few of the classes.  When school starts she will be going into 6Th grade w/ 7Th grade materials and books.  We're lucky enough to have split classes here that can keep up with the kids that excel.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured