Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Small town "law"

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2009 at 8:36 PM
  • 15 Replies

Our smalltown has 4 police officers. We have basicly zero crime, outdside of a drunk driving, or maybe not stopping at a stop sign. Otherwise nice and quiet. HOWEVER drive through here and do not belong, you will leave here having a ticket for something. Move here and don't fit in- well I sure hope you didn't want to stay. You will be forced out like the others.

Everyone here knows these things happen. No one cares to change it, the people who would oppose it were forced out long ago. No one speaks openly about it but it happens. I have seen families forced out- which involved officials and even the bank. (small town bank- owns everything here) Usually for reasons I do not agree with. One family moved here from Chicago, bought a big beautiful home, bought a business. To bad they were "Indian". Do you know the people here boycotted their business to the point that they bankrupted these people? These people up and left- their home still empty. SAD They were nice to. Their business was even robbed TWICE. In a place where crime is literally unheard of. EVERYONE knows, no one cared.

If you are different you are out- end of story. I call it small town law. What are you going to do sue? Good luck, around here that would be worse.

My sister had a really bad boyfriend when she was 17, my dad had him arrested for NOTHING. Then before they took this guy away the cop asked my dad if he wanted to "teach him a lesson" first. Of course my dad didn't but OMG. Then the court date rolled around. After lunch with the "prosecutor" and a few winks from the judge this boyfriend was banned from the entire county. Can they really do that? They did here. He returned ONCE, and was promptly arrested. (mind you this guy was not a member of a reputable family here, and obviously my father is "reputable")

So tell me- do you live in a place like this? If so do you like it, agree with it??

I feel safe, I know when the lights go on behind me it is only to chat. I know if someone moves in that is "questionable" that it will be taken care of, and I know any issue I have would be promptly looked after. Yet I feel guilty, I feel bad, and sometimes I wonder how in 2009 things like this still happen.

by on Jun. 17, 2009 at 8:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Godgaveme4
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2009 at 8:42 PM

Where i am from that is called the "good ol boys" club.

tericared
by on Jun. 17, 2009 at 8:42 PM

I couldnt live in a town like that...

Mom2LiamNMolly
by Member on Jun. 17, 2009 at 8:43 PM

I am in a small resort town and YES! The Maybury PD (OK, not really) loves to bust the tourists... no doubt. BUT they also get off (maybe literally) on nailing people above and beyond the crimes they commit. It's like a power trip for them. The turn a domestic battery into strangulation. They make a bad check or two into felony intent to defraud. Plus they just suck. We have had two cases lately of cases being dropped because of mishandling of evidence or failure to disclose... like, in an attempted murder with TWO witnesses they botched the chain of evidence and lady went free. Or we had a cop investiating an assault who didn't metion he was dating the victim (behind his wifes back).

No one will run against the Sherrif in re-election because people are scared of him. Period. It's really corrupt here and its sad!

proud-mom-two-kids.gif                                                                         Stefanie - Mom to Irish Twins Liam 7/07 (IUGR) and Molly 06/08 (IUGR,  Developmental Delays, Pre-Natal Stroke) and Wife to Mark since 2006.

WImom2
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2009 at 8:43 PM

LOL some call it that! LOL

Quoting Godgaveme4:

Where i am from that is called the "good ol boys" club.

Karatemomlisa
by on Jun. 17, 2009 at 9:05 PM

Not my town, but the town next to me is like that.  My ds is adopted, black, and has Down Syndrome.  I didn't think about it and took him to a McDonalds on the way through.  Didn't think I was going to even make it out.  I'm white and got so many threats, yikes! 

WImom2
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2009 at 9:08 PM

OMG threats! No one here would do that, they are more subtle. Nor would they do that to a young child. There is a family here that have adopted many children from different races, everyone adores them. How horrible.

Quoting Karatemomlisa:

Not my town, but the town next to me is like that.  My ds is adopted, black, and has Down Syndrome.  I didn't think about it and took him to a McDonalds on the way through.  Didn't think I was going to even make it out.  I'm white and got so many threats, yikes! 

jzsgrandma
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2009 at 10:10 PM

I grew up in a town just like that. Mine and my sisters children even had the same school teachers that we had. Every body knows every body, every body calls you friend... I live in a small foothill community where there is no law. You park in the middle of the street and there is a hitching post at the town store. If you do call the police they are 35 minutes away and take their time.. We are a "good old boy club" here and it serves us well. Last month my neighbors horses got out on the HWY I live on and every neighbor called every neighbor and rounded up all her horses and put them in one of my pastures until their owner could get them. I dont see my neighbors but twice a year and I could call on them for anything at any time. We are resistant to change and I hope we never do.

mrs_khan07
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2009 at 10:59 PM

Yep, I lived in a town like that. I had a name there even. Terrorist sympathizer. I befriended an Albanian-Muslim family (that just had no business being there). Then I made it even worse and married "one of them towel heads". I commited the ultimate crime by carrying the spawn of satan in my womb. Oh but what a beautiful spawn he is! I call him Evan Lal Khan.

Mrs. Khan

tericared
by on Jun. 17, 2009 at 11:13 PM

Quoting mrs_khan07:

Yep, I lived in a town like that. I had a name there even. Terrorist sympathizer. I befriended an Albanian-Muslim family (that just had no business being there). Then I made it even worse and married "one of them towel heads". I commited the ultimate crime by carrying the spawn of satan in my womb. Oh but what a beautiful spawn he is! I call him Evan Lal Khan.

you rock

cowgirlsr2
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2009 at 11:22 PM

I live on the outskirts of a small town and we know most and it's quiet and the local law literally has the highest speeding ticket trap according to triple AAA .But I grew up in Dallas Tx area and I have went back a few times and decided that I would rather raise my daughter here .It is safer here quieter and cheaper. The schools are small and I like that for her (still great academics) she will always now her classmates make good honest friends through graduation and hopefully forever. We live in the country it's extremely quiet room to move and have gardens and animals very little disturbance ( noise) even in our local small town pretty quiet. But I will say this don't like the fact that people get off from crimes they would not in big towns and that is something that makes me mad.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN