Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Truth Mongering

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2009 at 2:02 PM
  • 43 Replies

Truth-Mongering

Health Reform: The president predicts "scare tactics and fear-mongering that (have) worked in the past," warnings of "socialized medicine," "rationed care" and bureaucratic control. Real fears deserve mongering.

His teleprompter locked and loaded, President Obama has set off on a full-bore health care offensive that will lead to socialized medicine if the American people acquiesce. One of his chief tactics in what is no less than a war is to claim that those who say this are liars.

In his first big volley of the conflict, the president's lengthy address to the American Medical Association warned of "fear tactics to paint any effort to achieve reform as an attempt to, yes, socialize medicine."  Scaremongers will "give warnings about socialized medicine and government takeovers, long lines and rationed care, decisions made by bureaucrats and not doctors."

In describing the nightmares himself, he has launched a pre-emptive strike against the 2009 versions of the anti-HillaryCare Harry and Louise commercials of 15 years ago.

The president twice promised upheaval in U.S. health care — a system Americans know, for all its flaws, to be the finest in the world. "If you like your doctor," he assured, "you will be able to keep your doctor, period."  Same with your current health plan.

This is like telling a Dutchman living below sea level that once we remove the dikes, "if you like your home, you'll be able to keep your home, period." The private health care industry will drown if forced to compete with what is termed "a public option."

This is not right-wing propaganda. The Lewin Group, a health care consulting firm with a nearly 40-year reputation for integrity, warns that a government-run alternative plan with significantly lower premiums will devastate the private health insurance industry, taking away tens of millions of their customers.

The president insists a governmental alternative will "inject competition into the health care market ... so that we can force waste out of the system and keep the insurance companies honest."

According to the president, "the public option is not your enemy; it is your friend." And the notion that "a public option is somehow a Trojan horse for a single-payer system" is an "illegitimate concern," he claims. But to borrow from the president's charges against the "fear mongers," he is "either trying to mislead you or doesn't have his facts straight."

Of course a government health scheme fixed up with artificially low premiums competing directly against private plans will be a Trojan horse leading to single payer.  What industry could possibly survive the loss of tens of millions of customers?  (And with no Uncle Sam bailout in the offing.)

http://www.investors.com/NewsAndAnalysis/Article.aspx?id=479726

Go to fullsize image

by on Jun. 18, 2009 at 2:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
margroc
by on Jun. 18, 2009 at 2:10 PM

I agree with President Obama on this - coming from an outsider I do see a lot of fear mongering when it comes to socialized healthcare.  I myself would be more afraid of a healthcare system run by corporations whose only concern is their bottom line. 

WImom2
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2009 at 2:11 PM

UGH I almost lost my lunch. Thank you Mr. Obama for telling us what we should believe. Maybe he should tell us all to go home and research socialized medicine, without HIS propaganda. OMG he is just as bad if not worse than the propaganda he is talking about. Fear Mongering and reality are not far apart in this case.

I wonder when we will be required to bow to his highness? Or do we have to salute his teleprompter first?

sweetie00
by on Jun. 18, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Quoting margroc:

I agree with President Obama on this - coming from an outsider I do see a lot of fear mongering when it comes to socialized healthcare.  I myself would be more afraid of a healthcare system run by corporations whose only concern is their bottom line. 

I agree. I had to laugh when I saw the source of this post, as well.

spababy120
by Member on Jun. 18, 2009 at 2:20 PM

Quoting margroc:

I meant to ask, what corps exactly are you talking about? Hospitals are not for profit.

as for the OP, thank for the post. Sadly many have no idea how detrimental this will be to quality healthcare and CHOICE wow, there's that word again...

sweetie00
by on Jun. 18, 2009 at 2:24 PM

Quoting spababy120:

Quoting margroc:

I meant to ask, what corps exactly are you talking about? Hospitals are not for profit.

as for the OP, thank for the post. Sadly many have no idea how detrimental this will be to quality healthcare and CHOICE wow, there's that word again...

OK-fact-Obama wants there to be a govt run CHOICE -so what are private insurance afraid of? If private is so much better, won't everyone CHOOSE private and leave the govt program alone????

Scorpio359
by on Jun. 18, 2009 at 2:24 PM

A president who uses fear tactics is not a president he is a bully. Obama acts like a little kid when confronted with anything controversial. He wants his way and he will stomp on anyone to get it. The left wing doesn't get it. They will be in the same boat as the rest of us, sinking.

sweetie00
by on Jun. 18, 2009 at 2:35 PM

So....the man in Canada story was not meant to instill FEAR?

spababy120
by Member on Jun. 18, 2009 at 2:54 PM

Quoting sweetie00:

Quoting spababy120:

Quoting margroc:

OK-fact-Obama wants there to be a govt run CHOICE -so what are private insurance afraid of? If private is so much better, won't everyone CHOOSE private and leave the govt program alone????

FACT :  those without insurance will be fined.

FACT:  employers who cannot afford to pay insurance will be forced to buy insurance, possibly resulting in loss of jobs, increase in cost of services to consumers

FACT: the governement healthcare will undersell private insurance putting the private sector bsically out of business. At that point, we'll have a small amount of practitioners then serving the nation. Didn't MA try this and fail?

FACT: everything that the governement touches turns to fecal matter

spababy120
by Member on Jun. 18, 2009 at 2:54 PM

Quoting sweetie00:

So....the man in Canada story was not meant to instill FEAR?

of course it should. I am scared this could be a possibility here. whew

tericared
by on Jun. 18, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Quoting spababy120:

Quoting margroc:

choice  oooooo how scary...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)