Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Truth-Mongering

Health Reform: The president predicts "scare tactics and fear-mongering that (have) worked in the past," warnings of "socialized medicine," "rationed care" and bureaucratic control. Real fears deserve mongering.

His teleprompter locked and loaded, President Obama has set off on a full-bore health care offensive that will lead to socialized medicine if the American people acquiesce. One of his chief tactics in what is no less than a war is to claim that those who say this are liars.

In his first big volley of the conflict, the president's lengthy address to the American Medical Association warned of "fear tactics to paint any effort to achieve reform as an attempt to, yes, socialize medicine."  Scaremongers will "give warnings about socialized medicine and government takeovers, long lines and rationed care, decisions made by bureaucrats and not doctors."

In describing the nightmares himself, he has launched a pre-emptive strike against the 2009 versions of the anti-HillaryCare Harry and Louise commercials of 15 years ago.

The president twice promised upheaval in U.S. health care — a system Americans know, for all its flaws, to be the finest in the world. "If you like your doctor," he assured, "you will be able to keep your doctor, period."  Same with your current health plan.

This is like telling a Dutchman living below sea level that once we remove the dikes, "if you like your home, you'll be able to keep your home, period." The private health care industry will drown if forced to compete with what is termed "a public option."

This is not right-wing propaganda. The Lewin Group, a health care consulting firm with a nearly 40-year reputation for integrity, warns that a government-run alternative plan with significantly lower premiums will devastate the private health insurance industry, taking away tens of millions of their customers.

The president insists a governmental alternative will "inject competition into the health care market ... so that we can force waste out of the system and keep the insurance companies honest."

According to the president, "the public option is not your enemy; it is your friend." And the notion that "a public option is somehow a Trojan horse for a single-payer system" is an "illegitimate concern," he claims. But to borrow from the president's charges against the "fear mongers," he is "either trying to mislead you or doesn't have his facts straight."

Of course a government health scheme fixed up with artificially low premiums competing directly against private plans will be a Trojan horse leading to single payer.  What industry could possibly survive the loss of tens of millions of customers?  (And with no Uncle Sam bailout in the offing.)

http://www.investors.com/NewsAndAnalysis/Article.aspx?id=479726

Go to fullsize image

by on Jun. 18, 2009 at 2:02 PM
Replies (41-43):
mamadixon
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2009 at 8:37 PM

Quoting spababy120:

Quoting sweetie00:

Quoting spababy120:

Quoting margroc:

I agree with President Obama on this - coming from an outsider I do see a lot of fear mongering when it comes to socialized healthcare.  I myself would be more afraid of a healthcare system run by corporations whose only concern is their bottom line. 

I meant to ask, what corps exactly are you talking about? Hospitals are not for profit.

as for the OP, thank for the post. Sadly many have no idea how detrimental this will be to quality healthcare and CHOICE wow, there's that word again...

OK-fact-Obama wants there to be a govt run CHOICE -so what are private insurance afraid of? If private is so much better, won't everyone CHOOSE private and leave the govt program alone????

FACT :  those without insurance will be fined.

FACT:  employers who cannot afford to pay insurance will be forced to buy insurance, possibly resulting in loss of jobs, increase in cost of services to consumers

FACT: the governement healthcare will undersell private insurance putting the private sector bsically out of business. At that point, we'll have a small amount of practitioners then serving the nation. Didn't MA try this and fail?

FACT: everything that the governement touches turns to fecal matter

I think that should be part of the pledge of allegiance or something...

Merry74
by on Jun. 19, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Don't you know you shouldn't eat right before listening to the Obama speak?!wink mini

Quoting WImom2:

UGH I almost lost my lunch. Thank you Mr. Obama for telling us what we should believe. Maybe he should tell us all to go home and research socialized medicine, without HIS propaganda. OMG he is just as bad if not worse than the propaganda he is talking about. Fear Mongering and reality are not far apart in this case.

I wonder when we will be required to bow to his highness? Or do we have to salute his teleprompter first?

spababy120
by Member on Jun. 19, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Quoting Happytime:

Quoting spababy120:

Quoting Happytime:

Quoting spababy120:

Quoting Della529:

Quoting spababy120:
Quoting Della529:
Quoting iluvmommyhood58:

Quoting spababy120:

But it is my understanding that the military would not follow an order that goes against the US Constitution. there's that little check for the people there.

This is absolutely correct and I believe it's the... Air Force... (let me check on that) that actually has an organization to pledge for 10 acts one will not carry out if ordered to, that blatantly do not uphold the Constitution. Let me get back and see if I can find it....

Okay, yeah, it's the Oath Keepers. And I'm sorry, it's not just the Air Force. Don't know where I got that.

Here's a link to a video

Oath Keepers video

Men of honor

SUMMARY LIST OF ORDERS WE WILL NOT OBEY:

1. We will NOT obey orders to disarm the American people.

2. We will NOT obey orders to conduct warrantless searches of the American people

3. We will NOT obey orders to detain American citizens as unlawful enemy combatants or to subject them to military tribunal.

4. We will NOT obey orders to impose martial law or a state of emergency on a state.

5. We will NOT obey orders to invade and subjugate any state that asserts its sovereignty.

6. We will NOT obey any order to blockade American cities, thus turning them into giant concentration camps.

7. We will NOT obey any order to force American citizens into any form of detention camps under any pretext.

8. We will NOT obey orders to assist or support the use of any foreign troops on U.S. soil against the American people to keep the peace or to maintain control.

9. We will NOT obey any orders to confiscate the property of the American people, including food and other essential supplies.

10.We will NOT obey any orders which infringe on the right of the people to free speech, to peaceably assemble, and to petition their government for a redress of grievances.

This is a positive statement and I agree wholeheartedly.  Unfortunately it is,  "a non-partisan association of currently serving military, reserves, National Guard, peace officers, and veterans who swore an oath to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic … and meant it.

Our oath is to the Constitution, not to the politicians, and that oath will be
kept. We
won’t “just follow orders." and, I have to wonder if there would be enough Oath Keepers to take on those military members who would "just follow orders" issued by a president that might circumvent the rights of the people.

True, which is why it is so important not to disarm the people of the ocuntry. You disarm the people and gov't can pretty much do anything.

I have no intention of going along with any government entity attempting to disarm the people, but I wonder if our "allowed" weapons could actually defend against those in the military who are afforded military issue training and weapons (IE. planes, tanks, missles, M-16's, etc, etc) and would choose to follow an order instead of upholding the Constitution as they have pledged.

I mean, really, just how powerful can a bunch of shotgun/rifle toting civilians and former military members be against the US Military?  We would definitely be out-gunned and more than likely out manned.

you're right which is why we really do need to stick to the second amendment. The founder's did not want us to have guns for hunting and recreation. It was to combat tyranny.  How we have been marginalized is scary when you think about it.

We can only hope that when our military take that oath, they took it seriously.  I seriously doubt the majority would blindly follow.

That is why when I stood there and took an oath it was to defend the Constitution from all enemies foreign and domestic.

How seriously do you feel the military takes the oath? We don't need to worry right?

This is for everyone to read, I can only speak for my experience.

I experienced that most of the Soldiers and Sailors are more free minded then a bunch of Obamamaniacs, They are given to taking orders but I can recall a couple times when an Illegal order was given and the person giving the order was told to shove it..

I am not worried about my military, they are, for the most part, Dedicated and have a strong moral code. They are very middle of the road, but for one thing. They are pride filled for what they are doing. Its not the pay, only sometimes its for the Benefits...

If it ever came to a General or Admiral telling the " regular Military" to take over our population I am not concerned. They are not stupid People, and they Believe in the USA...no matter how many Code Pinks there are, no matter how many scum politicians there are. there is a feeling of Family, of sticking up for one another...

If anyone here believes there wouldnt be an uprising with in the military I would like to ask if they have ever served and I will bet they have not..

its a non issue

Thank you, Happy. It is what I thought.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN