Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Is anyone else tired of the Chicago Politics?

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2009 at 3:59 PM
  • 10 Replies

Study: 19 Ambassador Nominees Bundled $4.8 Million for President's Campaign, Inauguration

June 19, 2009 10:49 AM

If all goes according to plan, Colorado businessman Vinai Thummalapally will soon be moving to a Central American tourist paradise to be Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the United States of America to Belize.

Thummalapally was President Obama's roommate at Occidental College in 1979. As Barbara and Vinai Thummalapally described it to the Colorado Springs Gazette, they "used to party with (the president) in college. He was the guy who'd drink a few beers, maybe take a toke, stay up until 4 a.m. then excuse himself to crank out an 'A' paper due that morning. ... He was Barry, the mellow guy in the leather jacket, dragging on a cigarette."

Of course, friendship only goes so far in the world of ambassadorships. It's Thummalapally's fundraising for -- not partying with -- President Obama that is more characteristic of his fellow ambassador nominees. The Coloradan bundled between $100,000 and $200,000 for the Obama campaign and has personally contributed $13,375 to Mr. Obama's various campaigns since 1999. And according to Federal Election Commission records, Thummalapally's "not employed/student" children Vishal and Sharanya donated $2,300 and $2,275 to the president.

The information comes from the Center for Responsive Politics, which in a recent study concluded that the president's new nominees for ambassadorships to Belize, Belgium, Liechtenstein, Romania and Switzerland "brought in at least $1.1 million for Obama's presidential bid as bundlers, and at least another half-a-million as bundlers for his inauguration. To date, this brings the contribution histories of Obama's ambassador nominees to roughly $1.8 million in donations since 1989. The 19 ambassadors that CRP has found in our campaign contribution database, along with their spouses and children, have given more than $98,200 to Obama personally, bundled at least $3.4 million for his 2008 presidential run and bundled another $1.4 million for his inauguration."

As we reported last month, President Obama is hardly the first president to appoint pals and big donors to ambassadorships nor, according to the American Foreign Service Association, is he the worst offender in recent history.

In addition to his former Occidental party pal, President Obama nominated:

Former Virginia lieutenant governor and businessman Donald Beyer for ambassador to both Switzerland and Liechtenstein; he and his wife Megan bundled at least $500,000 for then-Sen. Obama's presidential campaign, with Megan bundling at least $245,000 for the inauguration;

Lawyer Howard W. Gutman to be ambassador to Belgium; he bundled at least $500,000 for the campaign and another $275,000 for his inauguration;

Entertainment executive Charles Rivkin to be ambassador to France; Rivkin, head of the entertainment company W!LDBRAIN who produces Yo Gabba Gabba!, bundled at least $500,000 for the campaign and $300,000 for the inauguration;

Lawyer John Roos to be ambassador to Japan; he bundled at least $500,000 for the campaign; and

Lawyer and investment banker Louis Susman to be ambassador to the United Kingdom. Nicknamed the "Vacuum Cleaner" because of his skill sucking up checks for Democratic candidates, Susman and his wife bundled at least $100,000 for the Obama for America campaign and at least $300,000 for the inauguration.

The list goes on and on, but you get the picture.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2009/06/study-19-ambassador-nominees-bundled-48-million-for-presidents-campaign-inauguration.html

Go to fullsize image

by on Jun. 19, 2009 at 3:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pepperlynns
by on Jun. 19, 2009 at 4:01 PM

and there was NO scam with the prior elections?

too bad people wasn't more fired up and looking into the EX-presidents involvements..

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken..

I'm a 30 yr old mom to 3 kids 9,7,5 yrs old..Wife to  the greatest man in the world of 11 yrs..SAHM..Not looking or giving advice on how to raise MY/YOUR kids..I'm a smoker,a toker,a social gulper..We live in Texas..Im spiritual,anti-gun,non-organic,swearing,President respecting woman..We make good money and buy American made products..

Happytime
by on Jun. 19, 2009 at 4:03 PM

Quoting Pepperlynns:

too bad people wasn't more fired up and looking into the EX-presidents involvements..

I did not say Bush and clinton were not crooks? so are you guarding these actions with some sort of Justification ... Well he did it!, please spare me the Party crap,

Everyone one of these crooks need to be elected out , the public tried in 2006 and 2008 and its done nothing but bring more of the same and on a fast track. Further more you know it Pepper

Go to fullsize image

Pepperlynns
by on Jun. 19, 2009 at 4:07 PM

Quoting Happytime:

Quoting Pepperlynns:

I did not say Bush and clinton were not crooks? so are you guarding these actions with some sort of Justification ... Well he did it!, please spare me the Party crap,

Everyone one of these crooks need to be elected out , the public tried in 2006 and 2008 and its done nothing but bring more of the same and on a fast track. Further more you know it Pepper

well until people open their eyes nothing will change...as everyone says they will say and do anything...but isnt that how a good majority of humans are? do anything to move up the ladder?

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken..

I'm a 30 yr old mom to 3 kids 9,7,5 yrs old..Wife to  the greatest man in the world of 11 yrs..SAHM..Not looking or giving advice on how to raise MY/YOUR kids..I'm a smoker,a toker,a social gulper..We live in Texas..Im spiritual,anti-gun,non-organic,swearing,President respecting woman..We make good money and buy American made products..

Happytime
by on Jun. 19, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Quoting Pepperlynns:

Quoting Happytime:

Quoting Pepperlynns:

well until people open their eyes nothing will change...as everyone says they will say and do anything...but isnt that how a good majority of humans are? do anything to move up the ladder?

OK now Define " Change" what do you want to cahnge ?????what change did you vote for?

Go to fullsize image

Pepperlynns
by on Jun. 19, 2009 at 4:22 PM

Quoting Happytime:

Quoting Pepperlynns:

Quoting Happytime:

Quoting Pepperlynns:

OK now Define " Change" what do you want to cahnge ?????what change did you vote for?

a change from war, hate, fear, to be able for my kids to be able to go outside and play..but even since Obama got elected their has been alot of fear and hate..

it would be nice to wipe out the whole government and just let the states run their self...we dont need so many damn chain of commands to get some action..by the time it gets in the right hand so much has been added and taken away that the citizens get nothing or something they dont want..

sweetie00
by on Jun. 19, 2009 at 4:34 PM

don't say it isn't party motivated, Happy. You know when it's a Republican, you are suddenly, but pleasantly, silent.

Happytime
by on Jun. 19, 2009 at 7:54 PM

Quoting Pepperlynns:

Quoting Happytime:

Quoting Pepperlynns:

Quoting Happytime:

Quoting Pepperlynns:

a change from war, hate, fear, to be able for my kids to be able to go outside and play..but even since Obama got elected their has been alot of fear and hate..

it would be nice to wipe out the whole government and just let the states run their self...we dont need so many damn chain of commands to get some action..by the time it gets in the right hand so much has been added and taken away that the citizens get nothing or something they dont want..

And once again where is the Change?

Go to fullsize image

charlie06
by on Jun. 19, 2009 at 7:59 PM

Quoting sweetie00:

don't say it isn't party motivated, Happy. You know when it's a Republican, you are suddenly, but pleasantly, silent.

hummm............... when was the last time chicago was run by republicans. Gotta think about that one right. Chicago is crooked always has been more than likely will always be.

mamadixon
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2009 at 8:39 PM

It is going to be a vastly interesting 4 years =)

Happytime
by on Jun. 19, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Quoting mamadixon:

It is going to be a vastly interesting 4 years =)

I wonder how they get around the Hatch Amendment... from 1939

Go to fullsize image

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN