Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Safety group asks GM for trunk-latch recall following deaths of two Arkansas children

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2009 at 7:50 PM
  • 4 Replies

Associated Press

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - A safety foundation is asking General Motors Corp. to recall its 2000 and 2001 sedans and refit their trunks with emergency-release latches after two Arkansas children were found dead in the trunk of a 2000 Chevrolet Malibu.

Kansas-based Kids and Cars said Friday that Ford Motor Co. has installed glow-in-the-dark release handles inside trunks since 2000, but GM didn't start until 2002. The group says, "If these two children found themselves trapped inside a 2000 Ford trunk, they would be alive today."

Washington County Coroner Roger Morris says it appears 5-year-old Curtis Markley and 4-year-old Virginia Markley, of Springdale, Ark., died accidentally in the car's trunk Monday.

GM did not immediately return telephone calls seeking comment.

Your reaction?

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

by on Jun. 19, 2009 at 7:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Happytime
by on Jun. 19, 2009 at 7:52 PM

Im sure glad we bailed them out to the tune of 60,000,000,000.00 dollars

Go to fullsize image

packermomof2
by on Jun. 19, 2009 at 10:11 PM

Quoting Cafe GroupAdmin:

Associated Press

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - A safety foundation is asking General Motors Corp. to recall its 2000 and 2001 sedans and refit their trunks with emergency-release latches after two Arkansas children were found dead in the trunk of a 2000 Chevrolet Malibu.

Kansas-based Kids and Cars said Friday that Ford Motor Co. has installed glow-in-the-dark release handles inside trunks since 2000, but GM didn't start until 2002. The group says, "If these two children found themselves trapped inside a 2000 Ford trunk, they would be alive today."

Washington County Coroner Roger Morris says it appears 5-year-old Curtis Markley and 4-year-old Virginia Markley, of Springdale, Ark., died accidentally in the car's trunk Monday.

GM did not immediately return telephone calls seeking comment.

Your reaction?

It's tragic.  It also makes me wonder if a 4 and 5 year old who "found themselves trapped inside a... trunk..." would be able to get out of it as well.  And I also wonder where the parents were and how long two kids had to be in that trunk in order to die and NO ONE noticed them missing... and why they weren't taught that a trunk is no where to play.

I'm not blaming the car company... I'm blaming bad parenting...

Although the car company should make sure all their trunks have this device in them to counteract parental stupidity and some people's inablility to make sure their chlidren aren't playing in a car trunk.

tericared
by on Jun. 19, 2009 at 10:26 PM

My first thought was were in the hell were the adults? A 4 and 5 year old? Come on... 

Eilish
by on Jun. 19, 2009 at 11:06 PM

I wonder what GM will do considering there's no oversight now that its owned by the government. There's no threat of an investigation, and no one can really sue them either. The government will just claim "soverign immunity" just like every other law suit against the government.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured