Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you researched the origins of your religion?

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2009 at 4:40 PM
  • 21 Replies

Or do you simply believe what your parents taught you or what your Church leader tells you every Sunday?

Have you studied up on Ancient Cultures, religions and myths that are no longer 'acceptable beliefs'? Do you realize how many of those defunct beliefs parallel your own religions and how do you explain that or deny it?

by on Jun. 20, 2009 at 4:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mandygm
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2009 at 4:43 PM

Yes I have, which is why I am not a practicing Catholic anymore.. the Spanish Inquisition made me open my eyes to the atrocities of the Catholic Church..  

Della529
by Matlock on Jun. 20, 2009 at 4:44 PM

I do.  It's exactly why I refuse to follow any mainstream Christian religion.

IhartU
by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2009 at 5:07 PM

Glad to see there are some who make educated decisions about their beliefs!

myboyzluvme
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2009 at 5:35 PM

Yes, I have.  I've studied all different denominations of faith from, Episcopal, Catholc, Baptist, Methodist, Church of God, LDS, JW's, etc., etc.   And this is exactly why I choose to no longer be involved in organized religion.  I believe the Bible to be the word of God, therefore, when I do attend a church service,  it's a nondenominational one.  Not one that has its own written doctrines by former members or founding father's of the church.     

Eilish
by on Jun. 20, 2009 at 5:40 PM

I have ... and it is only strengthened my faith. I was raised Lutheran, but no longer attend a Lutheran church. I consider myself a Reformed Christian - which encompasses a number of denominations, but I have decided that I cannot ascribe to one denomination for risk of following that denomination as opposed to Christ. I have studied that parallels, and I do not think that parallels prove that all religion is borrowed from one another, but is rather man's feable attempts at reaching God after the fall into sin.

ddbz
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2009 at 6:21 PM

Yes, I've studied the development of all religious beliefs and the period of time before that when there was no known religion at all.

This is why I'm atheist. 

muhajjirah
by on Jun. 20, 2009 at 6:23 PM

Absolutely.

Islam is my way of life that does not promote the idea of blind faith. I choose to be a Muslim because the concept is simple. One God, One Message, One Truth. Confusion & change comes from people not the other way around. All good comes from this One True God & all evil comes from our own faults. To be a Muslim means to submit one's will to One God..and if there is error it is in oneself, not in the religion prescribed, Islam.

alohamalu
by on Jun. 20, 2009 at 6:50 PM

Absolutely.  This is why I continue to be a Catholic. 

Della529
by Matlock on Jun. 20, 2009 at 7:32 PM

Quoting Eilish:

I have ... and it is only strengthened my faith. I was raised Lutheran, but no longer attend a Lutheran church. I consider myself a Reformed Christian - which encompasses a number of denominations, but I have decided that I cannot ascribe to one denomination for risk of following that denomination as opposed to Christ. I have studied that parallels, and I do not think that parallels prove that all religion is borrowed from one another, but is rather man's feable attempts at reaching God after the fall into sin.

Eilish, it's interesting to observe the master or similar teachings of most Christian based religions, especially since we find these parallels.  We also find that during the Reformation period many ideas from Catholicism were upheld, continued, and carried along by those who landed in America. 

And then, when we look into the various Christian denominations that continue in the US thru today, we again find that those are still carrying, or borrowing, many of the symbolism's presented by the Catholic church.  The same Catholic church who partook of those heathenistic practice's in order to draw or force people into it's brand of Christianity centuries ago.

Man's feable attempts continue thru today and will continue tomorrow.

Merry74
by on Jun. 20, 2009 at 9:28 PM

Yes I have and it's why I remain a happy Catholic.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured