Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I can't resist posting this here .... UPDATE: Comment from mom who made this video!

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2009 at 7:05 PM
  • 135 Replies

Limalife ... I hope you don't mind that I moved your comment here, but sometimes comments can get lost amongst the threads especially when they get this long. So I have copied and pasted it here.

limalife

by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 8:19 PM

I am the "author" of the video, limalife.

Never before have I had so much controversy over one of my videos. I knew it was going to get some heat but I must say that I've been a little surprised by just how many people have chosen to vociferously make their opinions known (either for or against).

I'm an NRA certified instructor and have been for two years. I have worked with firearms for the last three years and have more training than some police officers or military. Aside from training with firearms I have and will continue to train in areas of hand-to-hand defense as well as edged defensive tools (i.e. knives) and improvised tools (anything you can get your hands on). I certainly do not count on a firearm as the begin all and end all of defense. In fact, I have often told many customers that if you rely solely on your firearm for your defense, when the bullets run out, so will your will to survive and then you can be defeated. A firearm is low on my list of defensive tools.

If you had asked me, seven months ago, what I feared I would have said, "Nothing," (except, perhaps, the occasional eight-legged fiend and roller coasters). Today, however, I would say the only thing that scares me to death is the idea of not being able to protect my child.

Without going into specifics, I'll say that for all of my life I've had to watch my mother's eyes tear up when she thinks about her own failure to protect me. I'm sorry, but I won't make my child see that. I WILL defend him, with my life, if need be.

I will include an excerpt from a piece I wrote about my mother and her reactions to my carrying a firearm. You can find the whole story here: A Mother, a Daughter and a Gun

Quote:

She’s sad because she wishes she could have protected me more when I was a child. She’s sad because she realizes she couldn’t. She's sad that I was forced to take my protection into my own hands when she feels it is still her job, and she’s sad to realize she can never and could never truly do that for me. But most of all, she’s sad because she knows the pain I had to go through to come to the point where I’ve decided I could kill to keep from going through it again. She’s sad to see her baby girl strap on a gun to do a job she wishes she could have done seventeen, ten, and five years ago. She’s sad to be reminded she lives in a world were violence touches her little girl. I could see her thinking about her three other children who had not been touched with such violence and how none of them felt they needed a lethal means to defend themselves. I could see her considering my past and how big of a part she thought it played in my decision to start carrying a weapon of self-defense. I could see her sadness at those thoughts.

I am not paranoid or afraid. I won't repeat something I've already written about, you can read from my website here: Am I Paranoid, Afraid, or Unhappy?

I love my life. I am happy and secure, loved and love.

Carrying a firearm does not define me or say anything about me other than that I carry a gun. I have no illusions about life. If anything, I'm a realist. I have made peace with my past. I just won't go down without the fight of my life.

And for those who are so concerned about a firearm being near a child, let me remind you that a firearm is a machine, smaller and sometimes less deadly than a car. It does nothing but what its handler makes it do. We let our children ride in cars and are not horrififed. Safety is my first priority. I would never do anything to endanger my child. He is one of the reasons I prefer to be armed.

Godgaveme4 and Eilish, you gals rock!!

by on Jun. 20, 2009 at 7:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Happytime
by on Jun. 20, 2009 at 7:12 PM

LOL, That is a great holster , its what I use....

Go to fullsize image

tericared
by on Jun. 20, 2009 at 7:12 PM

OK I want to know where she lives that she has to arm herself to go shopping....... 

Happytime
by on Jun. 20, 2009 at 7:13 PM

Quoting tericared:

OK I want to know where she lives that she has to arm herself to go shopping....... 

Anywhere in the world TC

Go to fullsize image

mamadixon
by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2009 at 7:14 PM

I loved this video!!!

I am definitely planning on getting a permit by the end of the year.

Eilish
by on Jun. 20, 2009 at 7:15 PM

Who cares ... its her right. And besides, many attacks on women are in the parking lots of stores.

Quoting tericared:

Talee
by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2009 at 7:15 PM
I didnt watch much...whats the deal?

How long ago was it that having a gun in the family was out of the ordinary? 20..30...40...years?

Seriously....I dont see a problem with protecting your own with a gun....kudos to this chick..(then again i didnt see the whole vid...so maybe i shouldnt say anything)
tericared
by on Jun. 20, 2009 at 7:16 PM

I get we have the right to carry guns, but I just wonder where she lives to feelm the need..... 

mamadixon
by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2009 at 7:29 PM

That is a great point! There was a rash of burglaries of women in parking lots not too long ago near me.They targeted women with small children because they were more likely to just go along with whatever the thief wanted.I think they robbed like 25 women before they were stopped.

Quoting Eilish:

Who cares ... its her right. And besides, many attacks on women are in the parking lots of stores.

Quoting tericared:

margroc
by on Jun. 20, 2009 at 8:48 PM

Quoting Happytime:

Quoting tericared:

Anywhere in the world TC

Not where I live! Gun control works!

findingpeace
by on Jun. 20, 2009 at 8:58 PM

Holy crap!  Now that's SCARY!!!  And very sad that some people live is such constant fear that they feel it's necessary to carry a gun.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured