Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I can't resist posting this here .... UPDATE: Comment from mom who made this video!

Posted by   + Show Post

Limalife ... I hope you don't mind that I moved your comment here, but sometimes comments can get lost amongst the threads especially when they get this long. So I have copied and pasted it here.

limalife

by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 8:19 PM

I am the "author" of the video, limalife.

Never before have I had so much controversy over one of my videos. I knew it was going to get some heat but I must say that I've been a little surprised by just how many people have chosen to vociferously make their opinions known (either for or against).

I'm an NRA certified instructor and have been for two years. I have worked with firearms for the last three years and have more training than some police officers or military. Aside from training with firearms I have and will continue to train in areas of hand-to-hand defense as well as edged defensive tools (i.e. knives) and improvised tools (anything you can get your hands on). I certainly do not count on a firearm as the begin all and end all of defense. In fact, I have often told many customers that if you rely solely on your firearm for your defense, when the bullets run out, so will your will to survive and then you can be defeated. A firearm is low on my list of defensive tools.

If you had asked me, seven months ago, what I feared I would have said, "Nothing," (except, perhaps, the occasional eight-legged fiend and roller coasters). Today, however, I would say the only thing that scares me to death is the idea of not being able to protect my child.

Without going into specifics, I'll say that for all of my life I've had to watch my mother's eyes tear up when she thinks about her own failure to protect me. I'm sorry, but I won't make my child see that. I WILL defend him, with my life, if need be.

I will include an excerpt from a piece I wrote about my mother and her reactions to my carrying a firearm. You can find the whole story here: A Mother, a Daughter and a Gun

Quote:

She’s sad because she wishes she could have protected me more when I was a child. She’s sad because she realizes she couldn’t. She's sad that I was forced to take my protection into my own hands when she feels it is still her job, and she’s sad to realize she can never and could never truly do that for me. But most of all, she’s sad because she knows the pain I had to go through to come to the point where I’ve decided I could kill to keep from going through it again. She’s sad to see her baby girl strap on a gun to do a job she wishes she could have done seventeen, ten, and five years ago. She’s sad to be reminded she lives in a world were violence touches her little girl. I could see her thinking about her three other children who had not been touched with such violence and how none of them felt they needed a lethal means to defend themselves. I could see her considering my past and how big of a part she thought it played in my decision to start carrying a weapon of self-defense. I could see her sadness at those thoughts.

I am not paranoid or afraid. I won't repeat something I've already written about, you can read from my website here: Am I Paranoid, Afraid, or Unhappy?

I love my life. I am happy and secure, loved and love.

Carrying a firearm does not define me or say anything about me other than that I carry a gun. I have no illusions about life. If anything, I'm a realist. I have made peace with my past. I just won't go down without the fight of my life.

And for those who are so concerned about a firearm being near a child, let me remind you that a firearm is a machine, smaller and sometimes less deadly than a car. It does nothing but what its handler makes it do. We let our children ride in cars and are not horrififed. Safety is my first priority. I would never do anything to endanger my child. He is one of the reasons I prefer to be armed.

Godgaveme4 and Eilish, you gals rock!!

by on Jun. 20, 2009 at 7:05 PM
Replies (131-135):
margroc
by on Jun. 22, 2009 at 3:15 PM

Quoting moneysaver6:

Very well said!  And look!  I think we actually agree on something. (smiles)

Amy

Quoting margroc:

Thank you - I appreciate that - and I respect your choice too. Good debate is about respecting those you are debating with - even though we may never agree on a topic doesn't mean we can't wish the best for each other.

Thank you Amy, here's a smile back :)

Godgaveme4
by Platinum Member on Jun. 22, 2009 at 4:00 PM

Quoting Pepperlynns:

people have the right to carry a gun or not carry a gun..its also someones risk to have a unintentional child death in the home as it is to have a burgular come in the home...its all RISKS people take..

You are right.  And there are risks with everything.  Letting your child swim, take a bath, ride a bike, ride in a car, drive a car, sleep in the crib, eat, the list can go on and on.  And with each activity we let our kids do we teach them how to do it safely.  We send our teens to drivers ed, we use car seats, enroll our kids in swim lessons, put them to sleep on their backs, tell them to chew slowly and not gul so they do not choke, wear a helmet. i think you get the point.

humanjunglegym
by on Jun. 22, 2009 at 4:28 PM

Quoting margroc:

Quoting humanjunglegym:

Quoting margroc:

I live in Canada - people do not carry concealed weapons here.  Are gun control is far more stringent than yours - our violent crime and gun related violent is lower than yours (per capita). I happily walk around along with other Canadians without fear that there may be a chance of having a shoot out with someone.  I don't live in a fairy tale world, I assure you - I am aware that there are some scary people in the world and maybe even in my own neighbourhood, and sure criminals can get the guns even if they are controlled but I firmly believe that if there is gun control and everyone and their uncle doesn't own a handgun it makes it even harder for criminals to get guns.

I find it very interesting how alike our two countries are yet how completely different we are as well. I find it morally repugnant to have guns anywhere near small children.  How many accidental deaths occur from legally owned guns?  Even one is too many in my opinion.

Do you realize how many people own guns to PROVIDE for their families?  If my dad didn't have a gun when I was a child, we would have gone hungry a lot.  Some people carry them for protection, some have them to provide food.

Accidental deaths happen because of irresponsible parents, not because of guns.  Should we take all the knives out of our houses too?

WTF!  What the hell does that mean? If you are talking about hunting - I have no problem with that or are you talking about robbing banks to buy groceries - I can't tell by what you've written here?!?!?!?!?  Do people really try to conceal hunting rifles?

I hate the knife argument - knives are not specifically made to KILL people.  If you want to use that argument - I've never seen a drive by knifing!

Children are curious beings - they get into things all of the time - especially if they know they are not to.  Doesn't make the parents any less responsible - makes them less lucky.

Yes, in the subject of responsible parents providing for their children I was talking about robbing banks. eye rollingI'm not talking about rifles either, people DO hunt with hand guns!

So what if knives aren't meant for killing people, they still can!  So because they CAN kill we shouldn't have them around children either.  You may not see a "drive by knifing'' but you do see people killed or held at knife point.

Yes, it does make parents irresponsible if their children have access to loaded guns.  I was an extremely curious child but NOT ONCE did I try to touch my dads guns and they sat in the corner of the living room!

margroc
by on Jun. 22, 2009 at 4:38 PM

Quoting humanjunglegym:

Quoting margroc:

Quoting humanjunglegym:

Quoting margroc:

I live in Canada - people do not carry concealed weapons here.  Are gun control is far more stringent than yours - our violent crime and gun related violent is lower than yours (per capita). I happily walk around along with other Canadians without fear that there may be a chance of having a shoot out with someone.  I don't live in a fairy tale world, I assure you - I am aware that there are some scary people in the world and maybe even in my own neighbourhood, and sure criminals can get the guns even if they are controlled but I firmly believe that if there is gun control and everyone and their uncle doesn't own a handgun it makes it even harder for criminals to get guns.

I find it very interesting how alike our two countries are yet how completely different we are as well. I find it morally repugnant to have guns anywhere near small children.  How many accidental deaths occur from legally owned guns?  Even one is too many in my opinion.

Do you realize how many people own guns to PROVIDE for their families?  If my dad didn't have a gun when I was a child, we would have gone hungry a lot.  Some people carry them for protection, some have them to provide food.

Accidental deaths happen because of irresponsible parents, not because of guns.  Should we take all the knives out of our houses too?

WTF!  What the hell does that mean? If you are talking about hunting - I have no problem with that or are you talking about robbing banks to buy groceries - I can't tell by what you've written here?!?!?!?!?  Do people really try to conceal hunting rifles?

I hate the knife argument - knives are not specifically made to KILL people.  If you want to use that argument - I've never seen a drive by knifing!

Children are curious beings - they get into things all of the time - especially if they know they are not to.  Doesn't make the parents any less responsible - makes them less lucky.

Yes, in the subject of responsible parents providing for their children I was talking about robbing banks. eye rollingI'm not talking about rifles either, people DO hunt with hand guns!

So what if knives aren't meant for killing people, they still can!  So because they CAN kill we shouldn't have them around children either.  You may not see a "drive by knifing'' but you do see people killed or held at knife point.

Yes, it does make parents irresponsible if their children have access to loaded guns.  I was an extremely curious child but NOT ONCE did I try to touch my dads guns and they sat in the corner of the living room!

Look, we disagree on this - I would never, ever have guns around small children - I think your parents are very lucky that nothing unfortunate happened with guns sitting in the corner of your living room!  Children get into things all the time - and that is why responsible parents keep knives out of reach of them. 

You said "Do you realize how many people own guns to PROVIDE for their families? "  You said nothing about hunting - of course I assumed that was what you meant but I'm sure that there are families out there who use guns in another way to provide for their families.

Sure, you see people getting killed at knife point and you see people getting killed by baseball bats, etc. Why add something else to the mix?

We will never agree on this issue - as I said before I come from a different country and that makes my reality different from yours.  I'm never going to change your mind and you're never going to change mine.  Let's just agree to disagree!

Enjoy your day.

Godgaveme4
by Platinum Member on Jun. 22, 2009 at 4:48 PM

I would just like to make a little point.  The second ammendment gives you the right to bear arms...weapons.  That does not just mean guns.  A weapon is weapon.  Some of you say you use knives or bats, are you willin to let someone step in and say that you can NOT use those to protect yourself because too many people have cut themselves and stabbed others.  Or too many bats have been involved in murders and fights?

My point is that once you say something is bad and no one should have it or use it it when others come in and say well you are right so let ban more stuff.

I hope this made sense.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)