Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Quick Poll: Do you think the election was rigged?

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 11:56 AM
  • 19 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you think the election was rigged?

Options:

Yes

No

We'll never really know

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 46

View Results

With the ever growing turmoil in Iran over President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's re-election, do you think the election was rigged? 

< The Cafe Group Admin Team

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 11:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Eilish
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 4:41 PM

bump

tericared
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 5:21 PM
LeilaR1
by Member on Jun. 21, 2009 at 6:04 PM

I don't know. I think someday we will know, but we don't at the moment.

resamerie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 21, 2009 at 6:17 PM

Yes. But on the flip side I don't know if it could ever be proven. 

• angel-1-1-1-2.jpg picture by kfpep
Della529
by Matlock on Jun. 21, 2009 at 6:41 PM

I'm still out on this one, at least for the moment.  This isn't the first time this has happened.  It is a repeat of 2005 http://www.commondreams.org/headlines05/0618-03.htm.

stormcris
by Christy on Jun. 21, 2009 at 6:59 PM

(CNN) -- As protests continue over the disputed presidential elections in Iran, we asked two analysts to explain the background to the controversy.

Supporters of President Ahmadinejad wave flags at a massive rally in Tehran Sunday to celebrate his victory.

Q) What degree of election monitoring is there in Iran?

A) The problem with this election, according to London-based Mideast analyst Amir Taheri, is that there is no independent monitoring at all in Iran with the interior ministry arguing that the Council of the Guardians of the Constitution, a "star chamber" of 12 mullahs, would have that role.

"Candidates are not allowed to be present at polling stations during voting or counting. Many voters are illiterate and officials help them fill in their ballot papers, so the possibilities for rigging are immense. And there are no booths in the polling stations so voting is done in public, not in private -- a major obstacle for transparency," Taheri said.

So the problem for opposition candidates in this election, said Taheri, the author of "The Persian Night," is that there are no concrete examples of fraud because there was no monitoring. "You could say all of Iran's 10 presidential elections have been fraudulent or that all were fair -- we just don't know. All have been held in the same way. The whole electoral process from the vetting of candidates to voting and ballot counting is conducted by the state."

Q) So is it possible that Mahmoud Ahmadinejad did win the election?

A) The president does indeed have great public support in Iran, Taheri said, adding that "I'm sure he did win the election but it's impossible he won 63 percent of the vote. The results probably exaggerated the scale of his support."

According to official results, Ahmadinejad won in all regions and among all classes and ages -- again, something that Taheri said was unlikely, "but I can't prove it."

Had he not exaggerated the scale of his victory, Taheri said, unlike in previous presidential elections, it is possible there wouldn't be the outcry there is now. "Many Iranians feel insulted by the results because they feel their vote didn't count. Everybody knows, for instance that Ahmadinejad is unpopular in cities but he still won the vote there. That is why people are so angry."

Another Iran expert Karim Sadjadpour agreed, saying he believed this was "a stolen election." 

"There are a lot of signs there were major improprieties. First of all there were 40 million votes cast and just two hours after the polls had closed they announced Ahmadinejad's victory: and these votes are hand counted in Iran...

Sadjadpour, an associate at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, added: "Another example I give is that (opposition leader Mir Hossein) Moussavi, who is an ethnic Azeri Turk, lost the province of Iranian Azerbaijan. This is the equivalent of Barack Obama losing the African American vote to John McCain in 2008."

Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said the record voter turnout in Friday's election showed Iranians value "resistance against oppressors," the official Islamic Republic News Agency reported.

"Pointing to enemies' massive propaganda campaign to discourage people from taking part in the elections, Ayatollah Khamenei also said there was really a divine miracle behind this elections, given its results that was 10 million higher than any of the previous ones in the 30-year history of elections in Iran," IRNA reported.

advertisement

However according to TIME magazine, behind closed doors the White House may be relieved by the result. Despite the attention paid to the office of the Iranian presidency, nuclear policy is set by the country's religious leaders and appear determined to amass enriched uranium whether or not a hard-liner or a moderate is president, the magazine said Monday.

"Ahmadinejad's win may increase Washington's chances of getting tougher sanctions on Iran if they refuse to negotiate," TIME reported senior Administration officials as saying.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/06/15/iran.elections.qa/

tericared
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 7:15 PM

Quoting Della529:

I'm still out on this one, at least for the moment.  This isn't the first time this has happened.  It is a repeat of 2005 http://www.commondreams.org/headlines05/0618-03.htm.

yes it is and nothing is going to change it or fix it....

Della529
by Matlock on Jun. 21, 2009 at 7:25 PM

This article provides an interesting take on it: http://www.counterpunch.org/roberts06162009.html

Thomigirl
by Gold Member on Jun. 21, 2009 at 8:35 PM

Yes

Cathy1983km
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 8:42 PM

Since there are so many people that don't' like him, it's really easy to want to believe that it was rigged. I don't believe it was. It's like the 2000 presidential elections with Bush and Gore, everyone swore that was rigged too but also I doubt that. There is a conspiracy for everyone if you look hard enough big smile mini

wedding countdown

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured