Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Governor Jindal Plans to Veto HB1 Causing Citizens with Disabilities to Lose Funding!!

Posted by on Jun. 22, 2009 at 2:42 PM
  • 13 Replies

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read.php?post_id=1487137&posted=1

Just after I start making headway into my disabled son's cause (he was attacked by a caregiver with bleach at his facility) I find out that Governor Jindal plans to veto a bill, HB 1, that will cause our disabled citizens to lose MAJOR funding.

Please join our cause and show your support to stop this veto from happening.  http://apps.facebook.com/causes/303590
Please send to all your friends and know that we CAN and we WILL make a difference for our disabled community!!!! I posted this yesterday on my Facebook Cause page.

Critical Action Alert - Louisiana Citizens for Action Now

Governor Jindal has announced plans to strip amendments to HB1 include the amendment that restored cuts to the rates that service providers and support coordination agencies. It is critical that legislators override the Governor's veto of this critical funding and restore these cuts that will be devastating to individuals that rely upon community-based services from these providers and agencies. Some individuals may be forced to move from less costly community based services to more costly institutional services. Advocates must succeed in getting Louisiana legislators to fix this!

It is vital that the legislature restore funding in HB1 to the Department of Health and Hospitals for restoration of rate cuts to providers of disability services and support coordination agencies. Failure to restore cuts will result in:

*Agencies closing
*Programs closing
*Staff being laid off
*Individuals with disabilities losing vital services
*Individuals with disabilities having less choice (due to less programs and providers)
*And some individuals may have to move from less costly community based services to more costly institutional services.

-------------------------------- ----------------------------------- -

Home and Community Based Providers are the SOLUTION.

They operate more cost effectively than state run institutional services. However, the drastic cuts in rates will devastate the overall capacity of community based providers (many of which are non- profit organizations) to meet the needs of individuals with disabilities in our state.

If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut. ~Albert Einstein

by on Jun. 22, 2009 at 2:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
apetrus
by Member on Jun. 22, 2009 at 3:15 PM

If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut. ~Albert Einstein

tericared
by on Jun. 22, 2009 at 3:59 PM

This is an outrage,,,,these are the people who need help the most and he wants to cut that help,,,,you know  I am on my way to send letters and sign whatever.... 

tericared
by on Jun. 22, 2009 at 5:43 PM
Je_Jette_Poo
by Member on Jun. 22, 2009 at 5:57 PM

The budget cuts aren't going after disabled citizens alone... there have budget cuts all over the state programs.

But, I couldn't find an article on this. Do you have a website where I could go read more about this?

apetrus
by Member on Jun. 22, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Quoting Je_Jette_Poo:

The budget cuts aren't going after disabled citizens alone... there have budget cuts all over the state programs.

But, I couldn't find an article on this. Do you have a website where I could go read more about this?

I posted this on my Cause page

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20090621/NEWS01/906210313/1002/NEWS

rayzensun
by on Jun. 22, 2009 at 6:45 PM

this has already happened in california, my husband used to be a therapist for autistic children until all the funding was cut

Je_Jette_Poo
by Member on Jun. 22, 2009 at 7:34 PM

So pretty much, the cut would either go towards education or health care?

I understand having to make the cut. They already made many cuts, but there still needs to be more. They probably shouldn't just focus on developmentally disabled. But I see why they made a cut there. That's alot of money that Louisiana doesn't have.

I know $36.6 mil is alot, but Louisiana isn't known to have much money... the state has to make more cuts.

apetrus
by Member on Jun. 22, 2009 at 7:41 PM

Quoting Je_Jette_Poo:

I understand having to make the cut. They already made many cuts, but there still needs to be more. They probably shouldn't just focus on developmentally disabled. But I see why they made a cut there. That's alot of money that Louisiana doesn't have.

I know $36.6 mil is alot, but Louisiana isn't known to have much money... the state has to make more cuts.

I am an educator and I will take the cuts to education (my pay) any day over my child losing his funding. I can always move out of the state to find a higher paying job. The developmentally disabled do NOT have that luxury. They are totally dependent on US to care for them. My son is 14 and developmentally 11 months at most. What would happen to him? Like I said so easy to say when it doesn't directly affect you! He's already been abused once. Do you think more cuts will cause less or more abuse?

tericared
by on Jun. 22, 2009 at 7:41 PM

Quoting rayzensun:

this has already happened in california, my husband used to be a therapist for autistic children until all the funding was cut

It seems that the people who need these funds the most are less important than  people who own car companies....

Je_Jette_Poo
by Member on Jun. 22, 2009 at 7:47 PM

Quoting apetrus:

Quoting Je_Jette_Poo:

I am an educator and I will take the cuts to education (my pay) any day over my child losing his funding. I can always move out of the state to find a higher paying job. The developmentally disabled do NOT have that luxury. They are totally dependent on US to care for them. My son is 14 and developmentally 11 months at most. What would happen to him? Like I said so easy to say when it doesn't directly affect you! He's already been abused once. Do you think more cuts will cause less or more abuse?

The education cuts wouldn't just affect the teachers pay, but the funding the school recieves.

My cousin is disabled, so it will affect my famly. How do you know no one in my family is disabled or not?

Like I said though, they shouldn't just focus on the developmentally disabled.

All I am saying is that Louisiana is broke as f*ck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured