Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Governor Jindal Plans to Veto HB1 Causing Citizens with Disabilities to Lose Funding!!

Posted by   + Show Post

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read.php?post_id=1487137&posted=1

Just after I start making headway into my disabled son's cause (he was attacked by a caregiver with bleach at his facility) I find out that Governor Jindal plans to veto a bill, HB 1, that will cause our disabled citizens to lose MAJOR funding.

Please join our cause and show your support to stop this veto from happening.  http://apps.facebook.com/causes/303590
Please send to all your friends and know that we CAN and we WILL make a difference for our disabled community!!!! I posted this yesterday on my Facebook Cause page.

Critical Action Alert - Louisiana Citizens for Action Now

Governor Jindal has announced plans to strip amendments to HB1 include the amendment that restored cuts to the rates that service providers and support coordination agencies. It is critical that legislators override the Governor's veto of this critical funding and restore these cuts that will be devastating to individuals that rely upon community-based services from these providers and agencies. Some individuals may be forced to move from less costly community based services to more costly institutional services. Advocates must succeed in getting Louisiana legislators to fix this!

It is vital that the legislature restore funding in HB1 to the Department of Health and Hospitals for restoration of rate cuts to providers of disability services and support coordination agencies. Failure to restore cuts will result in:

*Agencies closing
*Programs closing
*Staff being laid off
*Individuals with disabilities losing vital services
*Individuals with disabilities having less choice (due to less programs and providers)
*And some individuals may have to move from less costly community based services to more costly institutional services.

-------------------------------- ----------------------------------- -

Home and Community Based Providers are the SOLUTION.

They operate more cost effectively than state run institutional services. However, the drastic cuts in rates will devastate the overall capacity of community based providers (many of which are non- profit organizations) to meet the needs of individuals with disabilities in our state.

If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut. ~Albert Einstein

by on Jun. 22, 2009 at 2:42 PM
Replies (11-13):
sweetie00
by on Jun. 22, 2009 at 7:55 PM

Quoting tericared:

Quoting rayzensun:

this has already happened in california, my husband used to be a therapist for autistic children until all the funding was cut

It seems that the people who need these funds the most are less important than  people who own car companies....

well, the disabled and poor have nothing to contribute to the bribery fund......

lilyrose73
by on Jun. 22, 2009 at 8:04 PM

Governor Jindal Ready to Apply his Veto Pen to the State’s Spending Plan-By Robyn Ekings

Governor Bobby Jindal announced today (June 15th) that he will veto items in Louisiana’s spending plan for 2009-10 that are based on money not yet approved by lawmakers, including a controversial plan to delay a planned reduction in state income taxes. HB 1 was sent to the governor over the weekend out of balance following a dispute between the House and Senate over how to fund the budget in the face of sharp declines in revenue. Governor Jindal says he’s making his decision to reshape the budget with his veto pen to give lawmakers time to find a way to resolve funding issues and reduce proposed cuts to higher education.

The governor has been strongly opposed to several revenue raising measures, including a bill that would postpone income tax reductions called for under a repeal of the so-called Stelly Tax Plan. Legislators approved the measure last year when the state was facing better economic times. He adds that the spending included in HB 1 that is contingent on that bill passing the legislature will be vetoed along with provisions tapping into the state’s Rainy Day Trust fund and another specially dedicated funding source.

In the remaining days of the session, which must end June 25th, Governor Jindal says he will try to persuade lawmakers to use other measures, still under consideration at the Capitol, to reduce the amount of cuts to higher education from $219 million, approximately 15% to about $149 million or just below 10%. “We believe we’re making it easier to provide higher education funding,” Jindal told reporters, renewing his pledge to oppose what he considers to be tax increases.

tericared
by on Jun. 22, 2009 at 8:12 PM

Quoting sweetie00:

Quoting tericared:

Quoting rayzensun:

this has already happened in california, my husband used to be a therapist for autistic children until all the funding was cut

It seems that the people who need these funds the most are less important than  people who own car companies....

well, the disabled and poor have nothing to contribute to the bribery fund......

so very true

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN