Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Work begins on world's deepest underground lab

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you think something like this is a waste of money?

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. – Far below the Black Hills of South Dakota, crews are building the world's deepest underground science lab at a depth equivalent to more than six Empire State buildings — a place uniquely suited to scientists' quest for mysterious particles known as dark matter.

Scientists, politicians and other officials gathered Monday for a groundbreaking of sorts at a lab 4,850 foot below the surface of an old gold mine that was once the site of Nobel Prize-winning physics research.

The site is ideal for experiments because its location is largely shielded from cosmic rays that could interfere with efforts to prove the existence of dark matter, which is thought to make up nearly a quarter of the mass of the universe.

The deepest reaches of the mine plunge to 8,000 feet below the surface. Some early geology and hydrology experiments are already under way at 4,850 feet. Researchers also hope to build two deeper labs that are still awaiting funding from Congress.

"The fact that we're going to be in the Davis Cavern just tickles us pink," said Tom Shutt of Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, referring to a portion of the mine named after scientist Ray Davis Jr., who used it in the 1960s to demonstrate the existence of particles called solar neutrinos.

Davis and a colleague named John Bahcall won a share of the 2002 Nobel Prize for physics for their work.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090622/ap_on_sc/us_sci_underground_science

by on Jun. 22, 2009 at 9:00 PM
Replies (11-18):
stormcris
by Christy on Jun. 23, 2009 at 12:12 AM

If you can replicate how the world and even the universe is created what limits are there to what you can cause to be created.

Quoting tericared:

Quoting Cathy1983km:

But why do we need to know if the universe is expanding or contracting? Why is this important? (I just want to know..?)

I want to know why it is important also,  I dont buy the whole research for energy thing, the article states why they are doing it and it has nothing to do with energy..

mrsJLA
by on Jun. 23, 2009 at 12:12 AM

Ahhh science is so cool. So I don't see this as a waste. Supergeek here!

Quoting stormcris:

There is a flaw in that statement in the fact that scientist do not know what causes the gravitational effects or pressures associated with dark matter. Most scientist do not believe that dark matter contains no atoms in fact it is thought to be highly condensed atoms molecules and sub atomic particles.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/dark-matter.htm

Quoting tericared:

but can there be energy without atoms?

Shutt, along with Brown University's Rick Gaitskell and nearly a dozen collaborators will work at the site to search for dark matter, which does not emit detectable light or radiation. But scientists say its presence can be inferred from gravitational effects on visible matter.

Scientists believe most of the dark matter in the universe contains no atoms and does not interact with ordinary matter through electromagnetic forces. They are trying to discover exactly what it is, how much exists and what effect it may have on the future of the universe.

Physicists have said that without dark matter, galaxies might never have formed. By learning more about dark matter, they hope to understand better whether the universe is expanding or contracting.

stormcris
by Christy on Jun. 23, 2009 at 12:14 AM

This is a good point and the very reason this research seems so vague. There really is cause to be concerned if they actually figure it out.

Quoting Cathy1983km:

Yeah I don't buy it either... things like this are just scary to me. I really worry that our world is so advanced, and while its a good thing for the most part, its still scary thinking someone could do something bad with it.... ugh. I don't even like to watch the news anymore, there is so much that just freaks me out! The Economy, Iran, North Korea, bombs, the president, jobs..... I wonder sometimes what was I thinking when I decided to have children? Sorry, just freaked out by everything, not trying to hijack the post, promise :)

tericared
by on Jun. 23, 2009 at 12:40 AM

Quoting stormcris:

There is a flaw in that statement in the fact that scientist do not know what causes the gravitational effects or pressures associated with dark matter. Most scientist do not believe that dark matter contains no atoms in fact it is thought to be highly condensed atoms molecules and sub atomic particles.

Quoting tericared:

Shutt, along with Brown University's Rick Gaitskell and nearly a dozen collaborators will work at the site to search for dark matter, which does not emit detectable light or radiation. But scientists say its presence can be inferred from gravitational effects on visible matter.

Scientists believe most of the dark matter in the universe contains no atoms and does not interact with ordinary matter through electromagnetic forces. They are trying to discover exactly what it is, how much exists and what effect it may have on the future of the universe.

Physicists have said that without dark matter, galaxies might never have formed. By learning more about dark matter, they hope to understand better whether the universe is expanding or contracting.

I was just going my what the article was saying,,,,oh crap I forgot the darn quotations again,,,

"Scientists believe most of the dark matter in the universe contains no atoms and does not interact with ordinary matter through electromagnetic forces."

Cathy1983km
by on Jun. 23, 2009 at 12:43 AM

Yeah. That's what scares me. Where will they stop?!

Quoting stormcris:

If you can replicate how the world and even the universe is created what limits are there to what you can cause to be created.

wedding countdown

stormcris
by Christy on Jun. 23, 2009 at 12:47 AM

It is fine I knew you were quoting the article. The statement sort of perplexes me though as I thought about it more after my last response...if they think that about dark matter then they should be of the thought school that dark matter only contracts the universe not expands it and thus it would not be of scientific value to demonstrate the need for the station...unless they are trying to develop a technique for destruction based on the contraction of dark matter which really would be a terrible weapon in the wrong hands. Given the evidence they do not understand the gravatational pulls and concentrations of black holes or dwarf stars, they would first have to find answers to these questions in order to utilize the dark matter.

Quoting tericared:

Quoting stormcris:

Quoting tericared:

I was just going my what the article was saying,,,,oh crap I forgot the darn quotations again,,,

"Scientists believe most of the dark matter in the universe contains no atoms and does not interact with ordinary matter through electromagnetic forces."

tericared
by on Jun. 23, 2009 at 1:18 AM

Quoting stormcris:

It is fine I knew you were quoting the article. The statement sort of perplexes me though as I thought about it more after my last response...if they think that about dark matter then they should be of the thought school that dark matter only contracts the universe not expands it and thus it would not be of scientific value to demonstrate the need for the station...unless they are trying to develop a technique for destruction based on the contraction of dark matter which really would be a terrible weapon in the wrong hands. Given the evidence they do not understand the gravatational pulls and concentrations of black holes or dwarf stars, they would first have to find answers to these questions in order to utilize the dark matter.

Now the first half of your reply makes sense to me, this is why I dont get why they need to do this......oh sorry about the sarcasm with the " " I got called out for not doing so earlier...

stormcris
by Christy on Jun. 23, 2009 at 1:21 AM

LOL I saw where they did that ...its fine. Yes, I am seeing why you would see this as a big waste of money. I feel there is a lot they are not saying that this lab is really for.

Quoting tericared:

Quoting stormcris:

Now the first half of your reply makes sense to me, this is why I dont get why they need to do this......oh sorry about the sarcasm with the " " I got called out for not doing so earlier...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)