Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Now THIS is an interesting development......

Posted by   + Show Post

Russia plans Middle East summit

Dmitry Medvedev, Russia's president, has said that Moscow aims to hold a peace conference before the end of 2009 to help resolve the Palestinian-Israeli conflict.

After holding talks in Cairo with Hosni Mubarak, the Egyptian president, Medvedev said a two-state solution, the issue of settlements and a future capital would be on the agenda at the meeting.

Medvedev said: "We paid special attention to Middle East issues. We highly appreciate efforts by the Egyptian president to create an atmosphere of trust and co-operation in the region.

"[The] Moscow Middle East conference, which we plan to hold before the end of the year, will also contribute to achieving this goal."

Hamas links

Russia, which has mooted holding such a Middle East conference in the past, is a member of the Quartet of Middle East negotiators, along with the European Union, the United States and the United Nations.

Moscow is the only Quartet member talking to Hamas, the group that controls Gaza but is snubbed by Israel and the West, and also has good contacts with Israel.

Mubarak said: "I affirmed Egypt's support for holding the proposed international conference in Moscow to push peace efforts, and our support for everything that contributes towards achieving a just and comprehensive peace in the region."

Egypt, like other Arab states, has called for a solution to the Palestinian-Israeli conflict based on two states and has dismissed Benjamin Netanyahu's, the Israeli prime minister, conditional proposal for a demilitarised Palestinian state.

"What is the basis for a solution to this problem? Those are international legal norms and certain principles including the principle of two states, discussions on [Israeli] settlements and the future capital," Medvedev said.

"These are difficult questions but Russia is ready to help solve them."

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2009/06/200962313429117861.html

by on Jun. 23, 2009 at 4:52 PM
Replies (11-19):
MissBearNMonkey
by on Jun. 24, 2009 at 5:24 PM

So now we're destabilizing Iran to have a major foothold in the MidEast, essentially creating a GIGANTIC two-state system...

This could be very interesting development indeed....

Quoting Gypsyuma:

One thing is for sure - eventually the shit is going to hit the fan - and will it all have been worth if for a racist country that requires meeting a Jewish litmus test?  When all we had to do was help turn it into a truly democratic country where ALL FAITHS live in peace?  Was it worth it?

SPEAK OUT! News & Debate

BRAINY BOOKS! BRAINY BOOKS! BRAINY BOOKS!

Della529
by Matlock on Jun. 24, 2009 at 7:45 PM

I kid you not...I question who is behind this push to destabalize Iran and their motives.  I somehow do not see two states...I see ONE.

MissBearNMonkey, have I ever told you that I love your mind and the way you write/explain your thoughts?  So many write gibberish.  It's refreshing to "read" someone who can communicate their thoughts clearly.  Thank you.

Quoting MissBearNMonkey:

So now we're destabilizing Iran to have a major foothold in the MidEast, essentially creating a GIGANTIC two-state system...

This could be very interesting development indeed....

Quoting Gypsyuma:

One thing is for sure - eventually the shit is going to hit the fan - and will it all have been worth if for a racist country that requires meeting a Jewish litmus test?  When all we had to do was help turn it into a truly democratic country where ALL FAITHS live in peace?  Was it worth it?

tericared
by on Jun. 24, 2009 at 8:21 PM

Quoting Gypsyuma:

The whole Afghan war thing was merely the culmination of the USA and Russia tug of war to take control over the Middle East.  After which, Russia ceded to USA domination in the Middle East.

But it looks like now they're back.......  this should be interesting!

And I LOVE LOVE LOVE that Russia thinks Netanyahu's vision of a demilitarized Palestine is BULLSHIT!!!  LOVE IT!!!!!

this

Gypsyuma
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2009 at 1:25 AM

Those Russians are really cunning.  Is that the write spelling?  Sounds off for some reason. 

They see we are weak right now, and that our credibility is teetering perhaps beyond repair..... and so now they strike at where we are most vulnerable to the entire PLANET - our support of ISRAEL.

Pretty clever.......

tericared
by on Jun. 25, 2009 at 1:37 AM

Quoting Gypsyuma:

Those Russians are really cunning.  Is that the write spelling?  Sounds off for some reason. 

They see we are weak right now, and that our credibility is teetering perhaps beyond repair..... and so now they strike at where we are most vulnerable to the entire PLANET - our support of ISRAEL.

Pretty clever.......

Great point

norwegianwood
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2009 at 3:22 AM

Quoting Gypsyuma:

The whole Afghan war thing was merely the culmination of the USA and Russia tug of war to take control over the Middle East.  After which, Russia ceded to USA domination in the Middle East.

And I LOVE LOVE LOVE that Russia thinks Netanyahu's vision of a demilitarized Palestine is BULLSHIT!!!  LOVE IT!!!!!

You know though, it's not unheard of. Post WWII until NOW, Japan has no military. Germany was told they could not have one post WWI and again in WWII. Iraq, as part of the surrender agreement, was not told 'no military' but they were under UN resolutions to 'basically' disarm from their larger weaponry. So, why do you think it an 'absurd' thing to request, necessarily? I mean, I know you're proPalestine, but aside from that you seem to think the entire idea absurd or unheard of..but it's been done many times before...and Russia knows this too.

P

blondekosmic15
by on Jun. 25, 2009 at 4:55 AM

Quoting Scorpio359:

Russia is plotting with Iran against the United States. Don't ever underestimate old enemies, they don't ever go away.

Exactly Scorpio.....I have been reading about Russia & the KGB since the late 70's. They hate America & their sole dream is world domination. The United States is the last super power preventing them from accomplising this diabolical goal. They have been plotting against America since the early/mid 20th Century. I have mentioned this a few times here on this group. The Communists wish to make Chicago the capitol as opposed to DC b/c the windy city is a central location in the Country to strategically work from....

Malapertinent
by on Jun. 25, 2009 at 9:18 AM

Quoting stormcris:

Russia is seeking to take the place of the US as the world power....it is trying to offer a better option to the situation and gain a leverage over the area. It is just a power play. Welcome back to the cold war.

Exactly.  It never really warmed up, just went dormant for a bit.

They're definitely not out of the game.

Della529
by Matlock on Jun. 25, 2009 at 9:21 AM

Quoting norwegianwood:

Quoting Gypsyuma:

You know though, it's not unheard of. Post WWII until NOW, Japan has no military. Germany was told they could not have one post WWI and again in WWII. Iraq, as part of the surrender agreement, was not told 'no military' but they were under UN resolutions to 'basically' disarm from their larger weaponry. So, why do you think it an 'absurd' thing to request, necessarily? I mean, I know you're proPalestine, but aside from that you seem to think the entire idea absurd or unheard of..but it's been done many times before...and Russia knows this too.

P

Actually, Japan has what's called Japan Self-Defense Forces.  Japan declared that it wouldn't have an offensive military system (although Article 9 of their Constitution might be repealed), but created the Jieitai  as a defensive measure.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured