Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

North Korea Threatens US! Obama says US prepared!

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2009 at 11:38 AM
  • 37 Replies

North Korea Threatens US
If Attacked

Obama says US prepared

Updated: Monday, 22 Jun 2009, 9:43 AM EDT
Published : Monday, 22 Jun 2009, 7:01 AM EDT

SEOUL, South Korea - North Korea is declaring itself a "proud nuclear power" and warning it will strike if provoked.

But President Barack Obama is assuring Americans that his administration is "fully prepared" for any move Pyongyang might make. He tells CBS News that he's not going to "reward belligerence and provocation in the way that's been done in the past."

Japan's Coast Guard says it's received notice from North Korea's maritime authority that ships will be banned from the waters off the North Korean coast starting Thursday because of "military exercises." That comes amid reports that Pyongyang is getting ready for a long-range missile test around the 4th of July.

Meanwhile, a South Korean intelligence official says a North Korean cargo ship believed to be carrying banned weapons appears to be headed toward Myanmar. A U.S. destroyer is shadowing the vessel.

New U.N. Security Council sanctions require member states to inspect vessels believed to contain prohibited goods. The sanctions are intended to punish North Korea for conducting an underground nuclear test last month.

What are your thoughts?

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

by on Jun. 24, 2009 at 11:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nan4tjn
by Member on Jun. 24, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Yeah the UN and Obama are so effective right!

Obama hates the Military just like the other Dim's do and the UN hates the US I don't know why we still allow them on our soil! Another mistake Bush made while he was POTUS not kicking them out!

Della529
by Matlock on Jun. 24, 2009 at 11:49 AM

I tend to agree with him.  The US should refrain for the moment, be vigilant and keep watch, prepare defensive measures and be ready to strike back if necessary.

We shouldn't be acting like Jesse James or Billy the Kid or any of those old wild west cowboys...we should just walk softly and carry a big stick.

Quote:

He tells CBS News that he's not going to "reward belligerence and provocation in the way that's been done in the past."

gogetem
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2009 at 11:51 AM

I don't have cable in the house... is this all over the news, or something they're keeping under wraps for the most part?

"Our country has two enemies:Those who want to destroy us from the outside and those who attempt it from within."

stormcris
by Christy on Jun. 24, 2009 at 12:08 PM

Not prepared.....not prepared at all.....if N Korea launches a nuke anywhere close to the US cost the panic that will ensue is beyond the preparedness of the US.

Talee
by Gold Member on Jun. 24, 2009 at 12:09 PM

Quoting stormcris:

Not prepared.....not prepared at all.....if N Korea launches a nuke anywhere close to the US cost the panic that will ensue is beyond the preparedness of the US.

I feel this way too.

Scorpio359
by on Jun. 24, 2009 at 12:15 PM

We need to file complaint with UN and then demand to know what is aboard the ship. When threatened by another nation we have to take them seriously. Impose the strictest of sanctions against North Korea and prepare military for fight.

Talee
by Gold Member on Jun. 24, 2009 at 12:26 PM

Quoting Scorpio359:

We need to file complaint with UN and then demand to know what is aboard the ship. When threatened by another nation we have to take them seriously. Impose the strictest of sanctions against North Korea and prepare military for fight.

No doubt....

Della529
by Matlock on Jun. 24, 2009 at 12:29 PM

Do you believe that most people in the US would know it had even happened before the military could intercept and destroy the ICBM?  I realize the internet and TV are a far-reaching advantage to news sources, but...

I find it interesting that NK is supposedly directing this "nuke" toward the Pacific and Hawaii.  Sounds like they are looking for grandeur on the scale and reminiscence of Pearl Harbor.

What's really to panic about?  If our military fails, yes, there would be panic, but would it really be necessary?  I wonder just how Americans would react.  Have we turned into chickens or something?  Was there panic in the streets after Pearl Harbor?  Or was it a "kick-ass and take names" mentality that ran through Americans psyche?

Quoting stormcris:

Talee
by Gold Member on Jun. 24, 2009 at 12:33 PM

Quoting Della529:

Do you believe that most people in the US would know it had even happened before the military could intercept and destroy the ICBM?  I realize the internet and TV are a far-reaching advantage to news sources, but...

I find it interesting that NK is supposedly directing this "nuke" toward the Pacific and Hawaii.  Sounds like they are looking for grandeur on the scale and reminiscence of Pearl Harbor.

What's really to panic about?  If our military fails, yes, there would be panic, but would it really be necessary?  I wonder just how Americans would react.  Have we turned into chickens or something?  Was there panic in the streets after Pearl Harbor?  Or was it a "kick-ass and take names" mentality that ran through Americans psyche?

Quoting stormcris:

I know I am a bit freaked out...with the economy, and all the changes with the new president, stuff going on in the middle East....lots of changes, it feels very unstable.

Just another reason I want to get out of Phoenix and into a place where I can grow my own food, have clean water etc.

stormcris
by Christy on Jun. 24, 2009 at 12:46 PM

I do not believe we are going to be able to intercept it, I know there were a lot of things in the past that the general population has no idea about...

I agree with you about NK is looking for something like Pearl Harbor.

The reason people will panic over this is because there is still the deep belief that nukes are the worst threat possible...recalling the bomb shelters of the 50s....I am more thinking if a nuke is shot toward the west coast no matter how close it gets there will be a mass exodus from that area. We have a hard enough time controlling evacuations from hurricanes and that is a bit staggard this will be all at once. No one is going to want to be anywhere near the west coast. Bombs are one thing Nukes are another.

Quoting Della529:

Quoting stormcris:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN