Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

North Korea Threatens US! Obama says US prepared!

North Korea Threatens US
If Attacked

Obama says US prepared

Updated: Monday, 22 Jun 2009, 9:43 AM EDT
Published : Monday, 22 Jun 2009, 7:01 AM EDT

SEOUL, South Korea - North Korea is declaring itself a "proud nuclear power" and warning it will strike if provoked.

But President Barack Obama is assuring Americans that his administration is "fully prepared" for any move Pyongyang might make. He tells CBS News that he's not going to "reward belligerence and provocation in the way that's been done in the past."

Japan's Coast Guard says it's received notice from North Korea's maritime authority that ships will be banned from the waters off the North Korean coast starting Thursday because of "military exercises." That comes amid reports that Pyongyang is getting ready for a long-range missile test around the 4th of July.

Meanwhile, a South Korean intelligence official says a North Korean cargo ship believed to be carrying banned weapons appears to be headed toward Myanmar. A U.S. destroyer is shadowing the vessel.

New U.N. Security Council sanctions require member states to inspect vessels believed to contain prohibited goods. The sanctions are intended to punish North Korea for conducting an underground nuclear test last month.

What are your thoughts?

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

by on Jun. 24, 2009 at 11:38 AM
Replies (31-37):
stormcris
by Christy on Jun. 24, 2009 at 11:58 PM

Burma is not going to let us board that ship and that is their most likely stop. We are playing a really long make or break 7th inning stretch.

Quoting resamerie:

I'd like to ask this. If we can not intercept a nuke, and it does hit Hawaii. We still have major military bases in Hawaii. Besides that, look at how many miles the fallout of a nuclear attack spread after Chernobal and Japan. Depending on which way the wind blows. Japan alone after generations is still experiencing the after effects.

I understand that N.Korea has said that it would consider anyone boarding the ship at sea as an act of war. We are shadowing it until it has to stop to refuel in another country. Only then and ONLY if that country gives the OK can we board the ship to inspect what is on board. What if that country doesn't give the OK?

Fallout could spread far and wide, even across the Pacific to California and beyond. So, what is the solution if whichever country they stop in doesn't let American troops inspect the vessel? 

erimar2
by on Jun. 25, 2009 at 12:48 AM

no, they are saying that they are ready to set another one off july4th my b-day! damn!!!! and too hit Hawaii!

Quoting gogetem:

I don't have cable in the house... is this all over the news, or something they're keeping under wraps for the most part?

Act like a Lady, Think like a man!

- Steve Harvey

resamerie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2009 at 3:41 AM

Quoting stormcris:

Burma is not going to let us board that ship and that is their most likely stop. We are playing a really long make or break 7th inning stretch.

Quoting resamerie:

I'd like to ask this. If we can not intercept a nuke, and it does hit Hawaii. We still have major military bases in Hawaii. Besides that, look at how many miles the fallout of a nuclear attack spread after Chernobal and Japan. Depending on which way the wind blows. Japan alone after generations is still experiencing the after effects.

I understand that N.Korea has said that it would consider anyone boarding the ship at sea as an act of war. We are shadowing it until it has to stop to refuel in another country. Only then and ONLY if that country gives the OK can we board the ship to inspect what is on board. What if that country doesn't give the OK?

Fallout could spread far and wide, even across the Pacific to California and beyond. So, what is the solution if whichever country they stop in doesn't let American troops inspect the vessel? 

You're right about the 7th inning stretch. And my bet is that NK already has contact with whichever country they decide to stop and refuel in, be it Burma or surrounding countries. They didn't set off without a plan. So what happens after that country does not let the US inspect ship. It travels it's merry way to Singapore where they are suspected to launch these weapons?

The Kang Nam is notorious for hauling only weopons, missles, etc. That's one reason why they've been following this vessel. I'm scared either way. If the country that they dock in does not let the US in to determine what is on board and we overtake the ship, it's considered an act of war. If we do nothing, they could very well send a nuke Hawaii's way.

The only 2 options that are good is US being able to board and inspect...slim to none. Or, a nuclear interception. 1 in 4 chance of accuracy and still a chance of fallout spreading across the US.

Myself, sorry to say, neither chance looks good. It seems that they are declaring war on us already so, stop the thing in it's tracks now. 

I am not pro-war, but I do believe in stopping a war before it reaches our own soil, even if that means declaring war on the open seas. We're already stuck between a rock and a hard place in this whole dilemma, it's time for us to take the defensive instead of the offensive before it's too late. The clock is ticking.

• angel-1-1-1-2.jpg picture by kfpep
blondekosmic15
by on Jun. 25, 2009 at 4:23 AM

Quoting MrsRStewart:

Maybe if we had a President with any military experience that wasn't making cuts to the military and who thought all he has to do is talk to make dictators back down. 

My sentiments exactly!

blondekosmic15
by on Jun. 25, 2009 at 4:25 AM

Quoting tyme4me2day:

We need to kick ass and take names...

Is Obama ready? Do you mean does he have his ducks in a neat little row?

Obama will be the first one down into the bomb shelter.

The Whitehouse will be a primary target!

ILoveMy2Boys619
by on Jun. 25, 2009 at 4:30 AM

Quoting WImom2:

Just shows how stupid NK really is. I mean how well did Japan fare after Pearl Harbor? They like Nukes? Well I am sure if they engage the US as Japan did with Pearl Harbor, NK will get up close and personal with a few nukes....American style!

Scared- NOPE. I live in WI, I have nothing to fear. We have beer, deer, and ammo- this State is prepared! LOL LOL LOL

You go girl! I like the way you think!!!!!! Their ain't nothing a little atomic bomb to N. Korea won't do to knock everyone elses shit off!

****Praying and hoping for a healthy full term pregnancy, healthy baby girl and a healthy mommy****

baseballMy Frankie     toddler boyMy Jacob

expecting girlits a girlMy Emily

nan4tjn
by Member on Jun. 25, 2009 at 11:23 AM

I'm sure we have a submarine following the ship also (at least we should!) anyway I think we fire a torpedo at the ship and say hey it sunk.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN