Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Hot Topic (7/4): Are today's kids "ruder than ever"?

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2009 at 1:09 AM
  • 51 Replies

From MSNBC.MSN.com:   (Real full article here)

Many experts say today’s kids are ruder than ever. And it may have something to do with popular parenting movements focusing on self-esteem and the generation that’s embracing them: Generation X, or those born between 1965 and 1977.

On paper, it doesn’t add up. After all, by many accounts Generation X may be the most devoted parents in American history. They are champions of "attachment parenting," the school of child-rearing that calls for a high level of closeness between parents and children, Many Gen-X parents co-sleep with their children, hold them back from entering kindergarten if they feel their children’s emotional maturity is at stake and volunteer at their kids' schools at record rates. Gen-X moms have been famously criticized by early feminists for dropping out of the workforce to care for their young children.

Yet, their kids are, well, rude. It may be that today’s parents are so fixated on their children's emotional well-being that they’re teaching them that the well-being of others is comparatively unimportant, says Dr. Philippa Gordon, a long-time pediatrician in Park Slope, Brooklyn, an urban New York neighborhood famous for its dense Gen-X parent population. . .

Your reaction?

Do you think today's kids are ruder than ever?   Have you encountered a rude child? 

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

by on Jul. 4, 2009 at 1:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
justgg
by on Jul. 4, 2009 at 1:31 AM

kids are acting out these days becuase we the parents or in most cases the parent as in the single parent has no control over there children with all these laws some people bring up ........no spanking, no yelling, try this discipline instead kinda crap! back in the day i dare never to back talk to my mom EVER!!!!! if i ever talked back or got out of hand my butt would have felt it!!! not huny now we need to sit in the corner you are in time out sweety!!!!!!! bullcrap!!!!!!!! huny my ass!!!!!!

parents need to get a grip and be a parent and not their friend and men and women need to stop making choices for us cuase some and i mean most of these law makers are not even following the rules themselves yeah check out some backgrounds on who is controling you!!!!!!!

some have dui's

some have no credit. bad credit

some have traffic tickets

yeah check em out

and this is where the rude , backtalking, law breaking, hitting the parent, sleeping around, cussing begins.

check out this group.....

www.cafemom.com/group/truetalesofacrazedmom

we got it all ! fun/sex/talk/gossip/contests/baby daddy drama

iluvmommyhood58
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2009 at 7:55 AM
Quoting Cafe GroupAdmin:

Yet, their kids are, well, rude. It may be that today’s parents are so fixated on their children's emotional well-being that they’re teaching them that the well-being of others is comparatively unimportant, says Dr. Philippa Gordon, a long-time pediatrician in Park Slope, Brooklyn, an urban New York neighborhood famous for its dense Gen-X parent population. . .

Your reaction?

Do you think today's kids are ruder than ever?   Have you encountered a rude child? 

I COMPLETELY agree that's a very strong possibility. It's also a clear lack of responsibility that can be tied to that. "My feelings are valid, valid, valid so much they override yours." More on that "instant gratification". Honestly, I think there's a little bit of a problem all around with living by emotion. Is it really a good idea to make every decision in life based upon how you feel at the moment?
morningdove831
by on Jul. 4, 2009 at 9:39 AM

Kids are most definitely ruder today than ever.  I don't know who is truly to blame, but when we were at the water park last week, these kids and pre-teens kept cutting in front of us in the lines.  I've taught DS to never do that and even he - at 6 years old - was appalled at their horribly rude behavior.  It's disgusting.  I hope I can raise DS with more manners than that!  

Scarlett82
by Member on Jul. 4, 2009 at 9:42 AM

Kids and people in general, I think, are ruder than before. I do think it is more self-centered thinking and making sure "I" am taken care of well before others. I think the "I" is important but to an extent and not to the point of hurting or being rude to others, which is happening now.

My Little Prince

babies

mommymonkey
by on Jul. 4, 2009 at 9:54 AM

I think today's children are incredibly rude and ill-behaved.

I think it's due mostly to attachment parenting, and to current laws and regulations about how we can discipline our kids.

Spankings, a quick sharp yell to get my attention, and the threat of letting down the parents used to be enough to make most kids toe the line. These days, most kids will pop off with "you can't spank me, I'll call the police" or something along those lines. So, what are we, as parents, supposed to do?

Of course, you get the parents who wont do anything about misbehavior, and the parents who don't believe in the tried and true methods of discipline, so all in all, my personal opinion is that today's children are rude as hell, and the next generation is just scrogged.

I claim to be honest, and I am. I never said you'd like me for my opinions...

thomamomma76
by Member on Jul. 4, 2009 at 9:55 AM

I wholeheartedly agree with that article. There are too many parents these days who seem to have confused parenting and being a child's friend. Many parents want to care for and nurture their child of course, but also make sure that they are happy in EVERY way. But, just like with adults, you can't please all children, and it's not the duty of a parent to try to please their child. The child doesn't run the household, the parent is supposed to. As long as a child has all of their necessities and is loved, then there is no need to go overboard with giving them everything they want and letting them have their way. Again, that's trying to buy happiness and be a friend, not a parent. That is a great little writeup.

Oh and yes, kids are highly rude! I can't count how many times I've gone to the store and seen children literally screaming commands at their parents or in the middle of the floor having tantrums. Our children know that that type of behavior is NOT tolerated, and wouldn't dare pull such an act, but again, so many parents trying to be friends ... the marjority of the time I have seen those parents with those kids give in to what the child wants. It's sad.

eaglemama2
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2009 at 10:49 AM

Sure I encounter rude kids, kids from our neighborhood for example.  Some kids are downright rude when they come over to play, while others are very polite, say please and thank you, clean up after they ate or played.     From what I have seen, IMO it boils down to their parents.     The parents of those that are polite act very differently from those whose kids run around loose with no regard for anything.

The one thing I cannot emphasize enough with our kids is great manners.   We enforce it at home, always.    We don't spank our kids, never have, we don't tip toe around them either.   There are hundreds of ways to enforce constructive and positive discipline methods, as a parent, its your job to research them and find out what works.

Parenting is challenging - there is no easy fix, it takes great effort and time.

If you as a parent have no manners yourself, those kids emulate that behaviour, so don't expect much there.

There is no reason to ever be rude.

sillyone
by on Jul. 4, 2009 at 12:11 PM

I really not sure if I totally agree with this. I am around many kids esp teens. Yes they are rude to their parents and 25 yrs. ago we also where rude to our parents. I do say the kids are very respectful to other people most of the time. All i hear from my sons friends parents and the teachers how respectful my son is. I also say that about the kids that are always around here. Yes there is a few rude ones that would give you the finger if u say some thing to them like "If you are going to ride you bike in the road, don't ride in front of a car." Then u get "F--k u b---h, but some times u get sorry I will watch out next time. It depends on the child I think.

To say when u do find rude kids I think a lot of factors play in this, TV, video games, parents, peers, school, gov and so many other things.

One more thing ever generation says the other generation is going to be the end of our world. I remember growing up the adults said generation X is the worse kids ever, they are going to end the world. blah, blah blah and guess what we are saying the same about the kids of today.

jojo959
by on Jul. 4, 2009 at 12:24 PM

I think today's kids are rude well some of them I blame this on the parents all the laws say we as parents don't have the the right to discipline are children as we think we should .. I have taught my children to respect adults  and I have taught my grandchild the same thing I hear that they are rude I don't have a problem disciplining them in my own way I do spank you have to know the difference between spanking and beating you don;t spank a child when I  so Pissed I can't see straight I walk away...     

IhartU
by Gold Member on Jul. 4, 2009 at 12:52 PM

My husband recently had to attend meetings focused around how to deal with the young people coming into the work force right now. Basically, their entire genertation is rude, lazy and expect everything for nothing. They feel they are entitled to whatever they want and should not have to work hard for it.

I think it's because they grew up without war, without hardships in the Country and are focused on materialistic things. The rise in single parent homes and the teen pregnancy rate are also  contributing factors.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)