Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Would you take your kids to have this done?

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 11:15 AM
  • 32 Replies

 

Poll

Question: Would you take your kids to get this?

Options:

Yes

No

Maybe, I need to know more about it


Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 43

View Results

Kids May 'Learn' to Tolerate Food Allergens

  •  

SUNDAY, July 5 (HealthDay News) -- Doctors have long used allergy shots to desensitize children and adults to environmental allergens such as bee stings, pollen, mold and dust mites.

Now researchers are trying to apply that theory to food allergies, through processes called oral immunotherapy and sublingual immunotherapy.

They believe they can build up a child's tolerance for a food that prompts an allergic reaction by exposing the child to tiny amounts of that food.

"It is something that has been recently put into play," said Dr. Michael Pistiner, an allergist in Leominster, Mass., and a spokesman for the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. "More and more of these trials have been started. It does seem to be very promising. It's very exciting."

Trials involving eggs, peanuts and milk have produced positive results, said Dr. Scott H. Sicherer, an associate professor of pediatrics at the Jaffe Food Allergy Institute at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine and chairman of the allergy and immunology section for the American Academy of Pediatrics.

"The studies are promising in that some individuals are able to get to high doses of the food used in treatment," Sicherer said.

Sublingual immunotherapy works by placing an extract of the food allergen under the child's tongue. The membranes of the mouth absorb trace amounts of the allergen, absorbing just enough to desensitize the immune system without prompting an allergic reaction.

Oral immunotherapy takes it a step further by having children eat tiny amounts of the allergen. "The approach involves ingesting an extremely small and then gradually increasing amount of the food under medical supervision, with the hope of getting to an amount that is not causing reactions and is more substantial in dose," Sicherer said.

However, both Sicherer and Pistiner warn that these therapies are still in the experimental stage, and many questions remain.

"All of the experts working in this treatment currently believe it is too early to attempt widespread use and that much more needs to be done to see if this is a viable treatment," Sicherer said.

For one thing, there's still a risk of severe allergic reaction prompted by even the tiny amounts used in immunotherapy.

"People have significant reactions trying to do this, including anaphylaxis, and not all can move ahead with dosing," Sicherer said.

Researchers also are not sure how deeply ingrained the tolerance becomes in a child undergoing oral or sublingual immunotherapy.

"Is there ever a time you can stop taking it, or does it only work as long as you're taking your maintenance dose?" Pistiner asked. "Does it give you complete ability to eat that food, or does it only help prevent reactions when trace amounts of the foods are consumed?"

For example, if you're allergic to pine nuts, will immunotherapy allow you to eat pine nuts as you like, or will it only prevent you from having an allergic reaction when you eat a food processed on equipment that also processes pine nuts?

The doctors agree on one other point: This is absolutely not something a person should try at home.

The amounts of food given allergic children are measured out precisely, and delivered under the watchful eyes of doctors ready to step in and treat any side effects or allergic reactions at a moment's notice.

"This is an experimental therapy that should only be undertaken under the direction of a trained allergist," Pistiner said. "Doing this at home is absolutely not safe."

More information

The U.S. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases has more on food allergies.

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 11:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momaof8
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2009 at 11:53 AM

This is really just common sense people can build up tolerances over time. I love how they make this sound cutting edge lol.

Check out my book http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Yes-They-Are-All-Mine/Linda-Dyson/e/9781438909295/?itm=3   You can help save lives check it out !




reading

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jul. 5, 2009 at 12:40 PM

This is simple homeopathy. It's been around forever...nothing new.

mymichelle2002
by Member on Jul. 5, 2009 at 12:48 PM

They've done this for years. I don't agree with it as it didn't work for my allergy and could have very well put me in the morgue.

I think a more fitting question is Are you ready to go to the morgue to find out. I'm not willing to do this, but I also have a very biased outlook on this. 

Oral immunotherapy takes it a step further by having children eat tiny amounts of the allergen. "The approach involves ingesting an extremely small and then gradually increasing amount of the food under medical supervision, with the hope of getting to an amount that is not causing reactions and is more substantial in dose," Sicherer said.

thomamomma76
by Member on Jul. 5, 2009 at 12:51 PM


Quoting momaof8:

This is really just common sense people can build up tolerances over time. I love how they make this sound cutting edge lol.

I was thinking the same thing. This is old information just revamped.

mymichelle2002
by Member on Jul. 5, 2009 at 12:56 PM


Quoting thomamomma76:

 

Quoting momaof8:

This is really just common sense people can build up tolerances over time. I love how they make this sound cutting edge lol.

I was thinking the same thing. This is old information just revamped.


HAHAHAHAHA!!! You mean that allergy shots "aren't" cutting edge? LOL!

stormcris
by Christy on Jul. 5, 2009 at 2:03 PM

Very true.

Quoting EireLass:

This is simple homeopathy. It's been around forever...nothing new.


hsteele
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 2:53 PM

Old news or not, its not something many parents today utilize. It should be common sense, but its not. Your kid has a peanut allergy? Cut out anything and everything to do with all nuts. That's what most parents do. So whether this is an old idea or not, the fact that it is being applied to modern clinical studies and showing positive results is awesome. I don't think it should be discounted because its been "done" before. And in answer to the question, lol, yes I would if the program has as successful a result as the article says, I would definitely do this for my children.

Heather
Proud Pagan Momma

"And When the Night is Cloudy
There is still a light that shines on me
Speaking words of Wisdom, Let it be."
~Lennon, McCartney

Eilish
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 4:59 PM

Homeopathy .... go to your library, get some books .... read .... go to local health food store and buy necessary homeopathic remedies .....OR visit Naturopath.

My advice: Don't go for a commercialized version. As others have stated, homeopathy is as old as the hills. Find someone who is also as "old as the hills" (at least in relation to the science of homeoathy) and get their service. Don't try a modernized version.


resamerie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2009 at 5:16 PM

Do I think it helps? Sure. Would I take my child to purposefully have them exposed? No. It's the same thing as the parents that hold 'sick parties' to expose their children to other sick kids to build their immune system. Children are exposed to enough already without having to force it.  





  • angel-1-1-1-2.jpg picture by kfpep
Eilish
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 5:37 PM


Quoting resamerie:

Do I think it helps? Sure. Would I take my child to purposefully have them exposed? No. It's the same thing as the parents that hold 'sick parties' to expose their children to other sick kids to build their immune system. Children are exposed to enough already without having to force it.  

What's wrong with "sick parties?"


Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN