Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Good book recommendations???Kinda off topic.....

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 1:30 PM
  • 16 Replies

I'm going to Florida for a week starting next Friday, and I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions on some books to take with me. Most recently I have read the Twilight Series, and The Da Vinci Code, and liked them. My favorite book (so far) is "In Watermelon Sugar" by Richard Brautigan. I also like interesting biographies like "Mommy Dearest" (I think that is what it was called) as well as things to educate myself on other's beliefs like "The Communist Manifesto". Fantasy books like ones from R.A. Salvator are alright, but I really have to focus for it to be able to keep my interest. I'm not into Romance Novels. I posted this in another group, but I thought I would post it here as well to get some suggestions from my very favorite debators. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks ladies!

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 1:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WifeyandMommy89
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 1:35 PM

I loved Twilight and I didn't think I could ever find a series to top it, until i found the Southern Vampire Series by Charlaine Harris also known as The Sookie Stackhou se Novels... She just published the 9th book and I know there's  10th book in the making, by the way it ended. It's like Twilight for adults... Lots of sex, romance, violence and murder... It's so much better...

I also loved The Looking Glass Wars by Frank (I can't remembe his last name). It's just the one book, not a series but it's a good story.. It's the "true" s troy of Alice in Wonderland.

My sister is also a huge Twilight Fan and a Sookie Stackhouse fan, and she loves the Anita Blake Novels by Laurell K Hamilton... They are good books, just not my cup of tea... There are like 15 of those in the series.. I got through 1 and 2 before I started looking for something else which is what I'm doing now, looking for another good series...

I like anything by VC andrews, but after you read 2-3 of her series, all of the story lines kinda run together, she even uses the same names in several series that are suppossed to be un related... I think that is what her family did after she died, they found some old story lines she started but never finished in her attic and hired someone to  write the stories like she did... so I think that's why they mostly run together...

behappilyever
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Thank you!

Quoting WifeyandMommy89:

I loved Twilight and I didn't think I could ever find a series to top it, until i found the Southern Vampire Series by Charlaine Harris also known as The Sookie Stackhou se Novels... She just published the 9th book and I know there's  10th book in the making, by the way it ended. It's like Twilight for adults... Lots of sex, romance, violence and murder... It's so much better...

I also loved The Looking Glass Wars by Frank (I can't remembe his last name). It's just the one book, not a series but it's a good story.. It's the "true" s troy of Alice in Wonderland.

My sister is also a huge Twilight Fan and a Sookie Stackhouse fan, and she loves the Anita Blake Novels by Laurell K Hamilton... They are good books, just not my cup of tea... There are like 15 of those in the series.. I got through 1 and 2 before I started looking for something else which is what I'm doing now, looking for another good series...

I like anything by VC andrews, but after you read 2-3 of her series, all of the story lines kinda run together, she even uses the same names in several series that are suppossed to be un related... I think that is what her family did after she died, they found some old story lines she started but never finished in her attic and hired someone to  write the stories like she did... so I think that's why they mostly run together...

Blueroses_78
by Member on Jul. 5, 2009 at 1:43 PM
Well I love the Harry Potter series (J.K Rowling), and the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. King's book The Talisman is really good, as is the sequel - Black House. Those two were written with Peter Straub, and part of the fun for me was trying to figure out who wrote what parts! I also really like R.A. Salvatore - Drizzt Do'Urden rocks! Sorry. Had a geek moment there.
babies
pregnancy
behappilyever
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2009 at 9:42 PM

yeah i got burnt out on stephen king at an early age though, after i started to read "the dragon's eye" (at least i think that is what it was called). anyway, i lost interest in it and gave up on king after that. king, koontz and graham were all good but i just can't get into them anymore. and i know what you mean about salvatore. my husband has a huge collection of his and even went to one of his book signings.

Quoting Blueroses_78:

Well I love the Harry Potter series (J.K Rowling), and the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. King's book The Talisman is really good, as is the sequel - Black House. Those two were written with Peter Straub, and part of the fun for me was trying to figure out who wrote what parts! I also really like R.A. Salvatore - Drizzt Do'Urden rocks! Sorry. Had a geek moment there.

Eilish
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 9:46 PM

Good to be King by Michael Badnarik .... but then again, I'm not into fictional reading.

Je_Jette_Poo
by Member on Jul. 5, 2009 at 10:04 PM

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley.

A Million Little Peices by James Frey is another really good one.

Solipsist by Henry Rollins is my favorite though

MrsRStewart
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2009 at 10:09 PM

If you like mysteries, try the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich.  It is my favorite.  She just came out with number 15!  I haven't gotten it yet, but I need to soon.

a wedding website

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Jul. 5, 2009 at 10:12 PM

A Year of Living Biblically - AJ Jacobs

Animal, Vegetable, Mineral- Barbara Kingsolver (or any of her novels are good)

My Name is Asher Lev- Chaim Potok (or Davida's Harp, The Chosen, The Promise, The Book of Lights, etc.)

The Secret Life of Bees - Sue Monk Kidd

Three Cups of Tea - Greg Mortenson

The Farming of Bones - Edwidge Danticat

A Balcony in Nepal - Sally Wendkos Olds and Margaret Roche

The Shell Seekers and September - Rosemond Pilcher (or Homecoming is very good as well)

The God of Small Things - Arundhati Roy

Interpreter of Maladies (short stories) - Jhumpa Lahiri

To Kill a Mockingbird- Harper Lee

Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants. - Michael Pollan

And while you're at it, remember that when you purchase food, you're voting with your dollar. Local farms, diversity, sustainability- all these should be positively answered by your vote. 

rocklovinggirl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2009 at 10:17 PM

Vampire Chronicle series by Anne Rice (BETTER than twilight by a long run IMO)
The Secret Life of Bees
Night-Elie Weisel
The Perks of Being a Wallflower- Stephen Chbosky!!!!
Animal Farm- George Orwell
Kabul Beauty School
Veil of Roses
White Oleander
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet
...I could give you a LONG list, lol. I have tons of favorites!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a tattooed, pro-marijuana legalization, bi-sexual but monogamous, open minded Christian, rock/metal loving, cloth diapering, breastfeeding, non-circum, pro-life, anti-obama, pro- Ron Paul, baby carrying, scrapbooking, crafty, book reading, WoW playing, crazy hair dyeing, mostly libertarian, soon to be SAH mom and army wife! TEAM LESTAT! Due October 15-It's a boy!
mrs_khan07
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2009 at 12:04 AM

If you're interested in history you should read up on the fall of the Romanovs. Heartbreaking story, the whole family was executed, even the children.

If you like weird stuff Edgar Allan Poe is always good. Gotta love "The Fall of the House of Usher", "The Black Cat".

Anne Rice's vampire series is incredible. I loved the Twilight series too, but Anne Rice is also great.

I need to stop now. I'm obbsessed with books. My husband always asks me if I had to choose between him and my library which would I choose? I hesitate on answering that question, I love my books.

Mrs. Khan

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)