Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

When color trumps Christianity

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2009 at 3:01 PM
  • 33 Replies

When color trumps Christianity
Star Parker
Monday, July 06, 2009

President Obama hosted a reception at the White House celebrating LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender) Pride month. Black Christians should take note and learn a few things about our black President.

As they say, we are what we do.

It tells us something that Mr. Obama had no time to host an event for the National Day of Prayer.

Nor did he have time to accept the invitation to convey greetings and a few remarks to the couple hundred thousand who came to Washington, as they do every January, for the March for Life.

However, the LGBT Pride event did make it onto the president's busy schedule.

Here are parts of his remarks I think noteworthy for black Christians:

First, we now know that Mr. Obama buys into reasoning equating the homosexual political movement to the black civil rights movement: "....it's not for me to tell you to be patient any more than it was for others to counsel patience to African Americans who were petitioning for equal rights a half century ago."

Perhaps Obama can extend some of his famous empathy to a black Christian woman, Crystal Dixon, who lost her University of Toledo job for writing a column in her local paper challenging this premise. Dixon was fired for being uppity enough to write "....I take great umbrage at the notion that those choosing the homosexual lifestyle are 'civil rights victims' ...I cannot wake up tomorrow and not be a black woman."

Considering our president's priorities, I recall a song popular during the civil rights movement: "Which Side Are You On?"

Second, Obama sees the black community as being a little slow on the uptake to grasp that homosexuality and same sex marriage are okay. There still are those, according to him, "who don't yet fully embrace their gay brothers and sisters..." He deals with this, he said, by talking about it in front of "unlikely audiences," such as, "in front of African American church members."

Maybe a lot of us black folks, still readin' our Bibles, just haven't had enough of that Harvard learnin'.

And, third, Obama talked about HIV/AIDS but didn't bother to mention that it's overwhelmingly blacks that this scourge is killing.

Why would our black president discuss HIV/AIDS and not mention that although blacks represent 12 percent of our population, they account for 50 percent of HIV/AIDS cases and half of HIV related deaths? Or that the incidence of HIV/AIDS infection per every 100,000 people is 9 times higher among blacks than whites?

Of course, it would have been bad form for Obama to sour the punch bowl at the LBGT Pride month festivities by mentioning the disproportionate toll this lifestyle takes on blacks.

Blacks, of course, made the difference in getting Proposition 8 passed in California, which defined marriage as between a man and a woman. They then switched over and voted for Obama.

Obama has said he opposes same sex marriage. Can this really be so? He said at the White House event that he's called for Congress to repeal the Defense of Marriage Act. DOMA is the main obstacle to nationalizing legalization of same sex marriage.

Black Christians have a lot of soul searching to do. We know the pain of black history. But we also must retain clarity that these many injustices were the result of race and color trumping Christian principles.

How can black Christians do this themselves? How can black Christians allow race and color to trump Christian principles in driving their support for a leader?

Particularly as sexually transmitted diseases kill our people, when a third of all abortions are black babies, and the only hope for future black prosperity is restoration of the black family?

Copyright © 2009 Salem Web Network. All Rights Reserved.

by on Jul. 6, 2009 at 3:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blondekosmic15
by on Jul. 6, 2009 at 3:16 PM

Obama talks out of both sides of his mouth......

rocklovinggirl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2009 at 3:27 PM

What I like is how Obama claims he is Christian and then made a speech mocking the bible...  seriously, he expects me to believe that, especially after hearing what he believes and wants to do for America. Oh yeah, his ideas are definitely Chrisian like.  :Sarcasm:
I know 97% of African American's/black people voted for Obama but I did not know the majority were what helped marriage stay between a man and woman...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a tattooed, pro-marijuana legalization, bi-sexual but monogamous, open minded Christian, rock/metal loving, cloth diapering, breastfeeding, non-circum, pro-life, anti-obama, pro- Ron Paul, baby carrying, scrapbooking, crafty, book reading, WoW playing, crazy hair dyeing, mostly libertarian, soon to be SAH mom and army wife! TEAM LESTAT! Due October 15-It's a boy!
blondekosmic15
by on Jul. 6, 2009 at 3:30 PM

Quoting rocklovinggirl:

What I like is how Obama claims he is Christian and then made a speech mocking the bible...  seriously, he expects me to believe that, especially after hearing what he believes and wants to do for America. Oh yeah, his ideas are definitely Chrisian like.  :Sarcasm:
I know 97% of African American's/black people voted for Obama but I did not know the majority were what helped marriage stay between a man and woman...

Nice to see another American who sees thru the garbage & hypocrisy Obama presents.....by their fruits { deeds } you shall know them!

hsteele
by on Jul. 6, 2009 at 3:32 PM

Her comment  was "I cannot wake up tomorrow and not be a black woman." I Am assuming she is saying that gay people can wake up and choose not to be gay, denying the scientific research that says that people are born gay, or that the last pope himself admitted an acceptance that people are born gay. Gay people can wake up and choose to pretend not to be gay, can get married and live a lie. But they are still gay. The president could host a dinner for every made up holiday or month but he doesn't have to. This is not a Christian nation, and Christians do not need someone to stand up for their rights. They are the ones squashing everyone elses. President Obama also did not make campaign promises to Christians specifically that he needs to address, but he did to the Gay and lesbian community. But i guess because Barack Obama is black he cannot act outside of that identity and do something simply because it is the right and human thing to do, but because he is black and you know the black civil rights movement blah blah. BTW, women had a civil rights movement as well as hispanics.

Heather
Proud Pagan Momma

"And When the Night is Cloudy
There is still a light that shines on me
Speaking words of Wisdom, Let it be."
~Lennon, McCartney

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Jul. 6, 2009 at 3:36 PM

Quoting hsteele:

Her comment  was "I cannot wake up tomorrow and not be a black woman." I Am assuming she is saying that gay people can wake up and choose not to be gay, denying the scientific research that says that people are born gay, or that the last pope himself admitted an acceptance that people are born gay. Gay people can wake up and choose to pretend not to be gay, can get married and live a lie. But they are still gay. The president could host a dinner for every made up holiday or month but he doesn't have to. This is not a Christian nation, and Christians do not need someone to stand up for their rights. They are the ones squashing everyone elses. President Obama also did not make campaign promises to Christians specifically that he needs to address, but he did to the Gay and lesbian community. But i guess because Barack Obama is black he cannot act outside of that identity and do something simply because it is the right and human thing to do, but because he is black and you know the black civil rights movement blah blah. BTW, women had a civil rights movement as well as hispanics.

good

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

ilovemymocha
by on Jul. 6, 2009 at 4:02 PM

clapping

Quoting Friday:

Quoting hsteele:

good

CjEmmemommy
by on Jul. 6, 2009 at 4:20 PM

What he is doing isn't surprising to me because he never promised anything. He said a lot of things that people wanted to hear and I believe many voted for him because what it would mean seeing a AA president in their life time.

I will never understand how people can turn from everything this nation was built on!! Having true freedom only comes when you live for the Lord. World war 2 times 62% of Americans followed the Lord, as of generation X the number is 16%. I won't help the fall!!

The declaration of Indepence - says....We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

We have rights and are equal under God's terms not ours!

Erica

a wedding website

Gretchen2876
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2009 at 4:28 PM

Quoting rocklovinggirl:

Oh Jeez, he didn't mock the Bible, he simply stated that Christians aren't the only people in America, then proceeded to speak of some of the other religions here. Why on earth is that offensive? I am asking as a fellow Christian woman. I seriously don't understand what the big deal is with him including ALL Americans. It's not like he was lying when he stated that Christians aren't the only religious people of this great nation!

The way I see it, isn't necessarily the way you see it. Or the way it is, or ought to be. What's more important, is that we're all looking for it, and a way to see it.

Desi DeNardo (via Starbucks coffee cup)

margroc
by on Jul. 6, 2009 at 4:34 PM

Quoting CjEmmemommy:

What he is doing isn't surprising to me because he never promised anything. He said a lot of things that people wanted to hear and I believe many voted for him because what it would mean seeing a AA president in their life time.

I will never understand how people can turn from everything this nation was built on!! Having true freedom only comes when you live for the Lord. World war 2 times 62% of Americans followed the Lord, as of generation X the number is 16%. I won't help the fall!!

The declaration of Indepence - says....We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Erica

Under whose God?  What about those of us who do not believe in God, are we not to have any rights in your world?  Religion and politics DO NOT belong together!!!!!

CjEmmemommy
by on Jul. 6, 2009 at 4:50 PM

I think many people call God something different but its still the one and only all mighty. If you don't have religion then I guess that is okay for you but I do believe this country was based in God and should return to that for it to be blessed. Most people are only worried about doing what feels good at the time and what they want.

Everyone can have rights under the Lord, not under what we all want or prefer to have. I know that's not how things are now but I will follow my believes in and out of Church which includes voting.

Erica

Quoting margroc:

Quoting CjEmmemommy:

Erica

Under whose God?  What about those of us who do not believe in God, are we not to have any rights in your world?  Religion and politics DO NOT belong together!!!!!

a wedding website

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)