Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

When color trumps Christianity
Star Parker
Monday, July 06, 2009

President Obama hosted a reception at the White House celebrating LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender) Pride month. Black Christians should take note and learn a few things about our black President.

As they say, we are what we do.

It tells us something that Mr. Obama had no time to host an event for the National Day of Prayer.

Nor did he have time to accept the invitation to convey greetings and a few remarks to the couple hundred thousand who came to Washington, as they do every January, for the March for Life.

However, the LGBT Pride event did make it onto the president's busy schedule.

Here are parts of his remarks I think noteworthy for black Christians:

First, we now know that Mr. Obama buys into reasoning equating the homosexual political movement to the black civil rights movement: "....it's not for me to tell you to be patient any more than it was for others to counsel patience to African Americans who were petitioning for equal rights a half century ago."

Perhaps Obama can extend some of his famous empathy to a black Christian woman, Crystal Dixon, who lost her University of Toledo job for writing a column in her local paper challenging this premise. Dixon was fired for being uppity enough to write "....I take great umbrage at the notion that those choosing the homosexual lifestyle are 'civil rights victims' ...I cannot wake up tomorrow and not be a black woman."

Considering our president's priorities, I recall a song popular during the civil rights movement: "Which Side Are You On?"

Second, Obama sees the black community as being a little slow on the uptake to grasp that homosexuality and same sex marriage are okay. There still are those, according to him, "who don't yet fully embrace their gay brothers and sisters..." He deals with this, he said, by talking about it in front of "unlikely audiences," such as, "in front of African American church members."

Maybe a lot of us black folks, still readin' our Bibles, just haven't had enough of that Harvard learnin'.

And, third, Obama talked about HIV/AIDS but didn't bother to mention that it's overwhelmingly blacks that this scourge is killing.

Why would our black president discuss HIV/AIDS and not mention that although blacks represent 12 percent of our population, they account for 50 percent of HIV/AIDS cases and half of HIV related deaths? Or that the incidence of HIV/AIDS infection per every 100,000 people is 9 times higher among blacks than whites?

Of course, it would have been bad form for Obama to sour the punch bowl at the LBGT Pride month festivities by mentioning the disproportionate toll this lifestyle takes on blacks.

Blacks, of course, made the difference in getting Proposition 8 passed in California, which defined marriage as between a man and a woman. They then switched over and voted for Obama.

Obama has said he opposes same sex marriage. Can this really be so? He said at the White House event that he's called for Congress to repeal the Defense of Marriage Act. DOMA is the main obstacle to nationalizing legalization of same sex marriage.

Black Christians have a lot of soul searching to do. We know the pain of black history. But we also must retain clarity that these many injustices were the result of race and color trumping Christian principles.

How can black Christians do this themselves? How can black Christians allow race and color to trump Christian principles in driving their support for a leader?

Particularly as sexually transmitted diseases kill our people, when a third of all abortions are black babies, and the only hope for future black prosperity is restoration of the black family?

Copyright © 2009 Salem Web Network. All Rights Reserved.

by on Jul. 6, 2009 at 3:01 PM
Replies (31-33):
momoftwins240
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2009 at 11:56 AM

Quoting copperpenny1954:

When color trumps Christianity
Star Parker
Monday, July 06, 2009

President Obama hosted a reception at the White House celebrating LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender) Pride month. Black Christians should take note and learn a few things about our black President.

As they say, we are what we do.

It tells us something that Mr. Obama had no time to host an event for the National Day of Prayer.

Nor did he have time to accept the invitation to convey greetings and a few remarks to the couple hundred thousand who came to Washington, as they do every January, for the March for Life.

However, the LGBT Pride event did make it onto the president's busy schedule.

Here are parts of his remarks I think noteworthy for black Christians:

First, we now know that Mr. Obama buys into reasoning equating the homosexual political movement to the black civil rights movement: "....it's not for me to tell you to be patient any more than it was for others to counsel patience to African Americans who were petitioning for equal rights a half century ago."

Perhaps Obama can extend some of his famous empathy to a black Christian woman, Crystal Dixon, who lost her University of Toledo job for writing a column in her local paper challenging this premise. Dixon was fired for being uppity enough to write "....I take great umbrage at the notion that those choosing the homosexual lifestyle are 'civil rights victims' ...I cannot wake up tomorrow and not be a black woman."

Considering our president's priorities, I recall a song popular during the civil rights movement: "Which Side Are You On?"

Second, Obama sees the black community as being a little slow on the uptake to grasp that homosexuality and same sex marriage are okay. There still are those, according to him, "who don't yet fully embrace their gay brothers and sisters..." He deals with this, he said, by talking about it in front of "unlikely audiences," such as, "in front of African American church members."

Maybe a lot of us black folks, still readin' our Bibles, just haven't had enough of that Harvard learnin'.

And, third, Obama talked about HIV/AIDS but didn't bother to mention that it's overwhelmingly blacks that this scourge is killing.

Why would our black president discuss HIV/AIDS and not mention that although blacks represent 12 percent of our population, they account for 50 percent of HIV/AIDS cases and half of HIV related deaths? Or that the incidence of HIV/AIDS infection per every 100,000 people is 9 times higher among blacks than whites?

Of course, it would have been bad form for Obama to sour the punch bowl at the LBGT Pride month festivities by mentioning the disproportionate toll this lifestyle takes on blacks.

Blacks, of course, made the difference in getting Proposition 8 passed in California, which defined marriage as between a man and a woman. They then switched over and voted for Obama.

Obama has said he opposes same sex marriage. Can this really be so? He said at the White House event that he's called for Congress to repeal the Defense of Marriage Act. DOMA is the main obstacle to nationalizing legalization of same sex marriage.

Black Christians have a lot of soul searching to do. We know the pain of black history. But we also must retain clarity that these many injustices were the result of race and color trumping Christian principles.

How can black Christians do this themselves? How can black Christians allow race and color to trump Christian principles in driving their support for a leader?

Particularly as sexually transmitted diseases kill our people, when a third of all abortions are black babies, and the only hope for future black prosperity is restoration of the black family?

Copyright © 2009 Salem Web Network. All Rights Reserved.

"....I take great umbrage at the notion that those choosing the homosexual lifestyle are 'civil rights victims' ...I cannot wake up tomorrow and not be a black woman."

Oh yeah, well I take great umbrage at the notion that I can wake up tomorrow and not be gay!  I was born this way just as you were born black!  Get over it already!  There is all sorts of diversity, not just black vs. white, or christian vs. muslim, etc...

hsteele
by on Jul. 7, 2009 at 12:34 PM

And of course a black candidate has no merits other than that he is black. I mean no one voted for him because they agreed with him, liked his stance on the issues, and didn't like the opposition?

And, btw if you look at it with open eyes, Jesus was a radical and controversial figure. He questioned the old ways and traditional values of the Jewish faith. That's pretty radical. As for the old laws of the old testament, there are many Christians who do not find them invalid. After all, I'm not a biblical scholar or anything, but aren't the 10 commandments found in the old testament. Or are those no longer relevant to modern Christians. Not being a Christian myself I could be wrong about this.

Quoting rosepetal209:

This is the kind of crap you can expect to see when people vote for a president based on the color of his skin and NOT the words (or lack there of) that come from his mouth.

And I'm sorry...when you refer to the Sermon on the mount as "radical", thats mocking. He is an idiot anyway....he had to go back to the old testament to find points? Stoning a child? Old testament = old law.  Obama is a tool

Heather
Proud Pagan Momma

"And When the Night is Cloudy
There is still a light that shines on me
Speaking words of Wisdom, Let it be."
~Lennon, McCartney

hsteele
by on Jul. 7, 2009 at 12:42 PM

I said scientific research not proof, and I'm not going to back through all the articles or news programs I have read in the past to satisfy you. Your opinion is just not that important to me. rOut of curiousity where is your proof that homosexuals are not born that way?

Quoting copperpenny1954:

Quoting sweetie00:

Quoting hsteele:

Her comment  was "I cannot wake up tomorrow and not be a black woman." I Am assuming she is saying that gay people can wake up and choose not to be gay,

>>denying the scientific research that says that people are born gay,<<

Proof of this please.  I have never seen or heard of any "scientific" proof. Please provide source.

or that the last pope himself admitted an acceptance that people are born gay. Gay people can wake up and choose to pretend not to be gay, can get married and live a lie. But they are still gay. The president could host a dinner for every made up holiday or month but he doesn't have to. This is not a Christian nation, and Christians do not need someone to stand up for their rights. They are the ones squashing everyone elses. President Obama also did not make campaign promises to Christians specifically that he needs to address, but he did to the Gay and lesbian community. But i guess because Barack Obama is black he cannot act outside of that identity and do something simply because it is the right and human thing to do, but because he is black and you know the black civil rights movement blah blah. BTW, women had a civil rights movement as well as hispanics.

BRAVO!

Heather
Proud Pagan Momma

"And When the Night is Cloudy
There is still a light that shines on me
Speaking words of Wisdom, Let it be."
~Lennon, McCartney

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN