Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

America's Empire of Bases

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2009 at 9:53 AM
  • 31 Replies

http://www.commondreams.org/views04/0115-08.htm

As distinct from other peoples, most Americans do not recognize -- or do not want to recognize -- that the United States dominates the world through its military power. Due to government secrecy, our citizens are often ignorant of the fact that our garrisons encircle the planet. This vast network of American bases on every continent except Antarctica actually constitutes a new form of empire -- an empire of bases with its own geography not likely to be taught in any high school geography class. Without grasping the dimensions of this globe-girdling Baseworld, one can't begin to understand the size and nature of our imperial aspirations or the degree to which a new kind of militarism is undermining our constitutional order.

Our military deploys well over half a million soldiers, spies, technicians, teachers, dependents, and civilian contractors in other nations. To dominate the oceans and seas of the world, we are creating some thirteen naval task forces built around aircraft carriers whose names sum up our martial heritage -- Kitty Hawk, Constellation, Enterprise, John F. Kennedy, Nimitz, Dwight D. Eisenhower, Carl Vinson, Theodore Roosevelt, Abraham Lincoln, George Washington, John C. Stennis, Harry S. Truman, and Ronald Reagan. We operate numerous secret bases outside our territory to monitor what the people of the world, including our own citizens, are saying, faxing, or e-mailing to one another.

by on Jul. 7, 2009 at 9:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tericared
by on Jul. 7, 2009 at 9:54 AM

It's not easy to assess the size or exact value of our empire of bases. Official records on these subjects are misleading, although instructive. According to the Defense Department's annual "Base Structure Report" for fiscal year 2003, which itemizes foreign and domestic U.S. military real estate, the Pentagon currently owns or rents 702 overseas bases in about 130 countries and HAS another 6,000 bases in the United States and its territories.

tericared
by on Jul. 7, 2009 at 10:36 AM

"American bases on every continent except Antarctica"

Does this bother anyone besides me?

rnjMOM
by Rachel on Jul. 7, 2009 at 11:16 AM

and... Do you also know that we have a Status of Forces agreement with all the countries we have bases in? Do you also know that they are our allies and that their military is also here on OUR military bases?  Why would this bother you?  We are not there to spy on the countries we are living in.  Take for instance our bases in South Korea, we train, house, feed the South Korean Army and active in the DMZ patrol of North Korea who also patrol on the other side of the fence.  How about England? Last time I knew we were allies with England.  When I worked at the Command and General Staff College over 5% of the attendees are foreign officers who live on OUR base here and in OUR communities for well over a year.  It is a give and take.  You also forgot to put down that German bases are being haded back over to the Germans... I am not sure what your point is...

BTW, please remember not only am I and my husband an Army veteran (recent OIF veterans) and that I still work for the DoD.  I am very well aware of every place we are, have been, and are going.  So I am not exactly clueless on the situation.  I sit in a building surrounded by retired veterans and senior enlisted and officers still working for the DoD ranging from Vietnam Vets to soldiers who are just back from Iraq/Afghanistan or who are about to leave.  Do you have any specific questions??

WImom2
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2009 at 11:18 AM

Quoting tericared:

It bothers me a lot! I mean why are we NOT in Antarctica? You never know what new kind of terrorist would use that as a weak link.

rnjMOM
by Rachel on Jul. 7, 2009 at 11:19 AM

P.S. Did you ever think that the information is sparse due to trying to keep our soldiers safe and specific information about our military and where WE ARE away from our enemies both foreign and domestic??

rnjMOM
by Rachel on Jul. 7, 2009 at 11:30 AM

P.P.S. Did you also care to look into how we have the MOST advanced technology in the WHOLE world as far as military equipment. Did you know that many soldiers travel the world teaching other armies how to utilize and capture this technology? That the bases that "encompass" the world and are creating an "empire" are considered a safe haven for our soldiers who are abroad teaching other miltiaries in other countries?? Kosovo? Really? Would you want to be sleeping in downtown Kosovo or have the US build a base there to house IT"S own army?  Do you want our soldiers to be unprotected? In the article it meantions Iraq and the bases there.  CAMP ANACONDA IS AN AIRFIELD! OF COURSE IT IS GOING TO BE MASSIVE!!! We don't occupy ANY cities anymore. Look at a map of Iraq. Look at where WE are!! COME ON! If you are going to post something like this, please look into it before posted it as fact.  Common sense! You of all people Tericared should know better! Our military keeps many things secret so you THE AMERICAN PUBLIC can sleep at night!  Seriously.  If you knew 1/2 of the stuff that goes on in our world that the MEDIA does not report you would have trouble sleeping at night.  Just because the military keeps it a secret does not mean it is wrong or bad!

tericared
by on Jul. 7, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Quoting rnjMOM:

P.P.S. Did you also care to look into how we have the MOST advanced technology in the WHOLE world as far as military equipment. Did you know that many soldiers travel the world teaching other armies how to utilize and capture this technology? That the bases that "encompass" the world and are creating an "empire" are considered a safe haven for our soldiers who are abroad teaching other miltiaries in other countries?? Kosovo? Really? Would you want to be sleeping in downtown Kosovo or have the US build a base there to house IT"S own army?  Do you want our soldiers to be unprotected? In the article it meantions Iraq and the bases there.  CAMP ANACONDA IS AN AIRFIELD! OF COURSE IT IS GOING TO BE MASSIVE!!! We don't occupy ANY cities anymore. Look at a map of Iraq. Look at where WE are!! COME ON! If you are going to post something like this, please look into it before posted it as fact.  Common sense! You of all people Tericared should know better! Our military keeps many things secret so you THE AMERICAN PUBLIC can sleep at night!  Seriously.  If you knew 1/2 of the stuff that goes on in our world that the MEDIA does not report you would have trouble sleeping at night.  Just because the military keeps it a secret does not mean it is wrong or bad!

I dont think we need to be in every freaking country on the planet. We are occupiers in most and it is not right.....

Je_Jette_Poo
by Member on Jul. 7, 2009 at 12:45 PM

Quoting tericared:

It does me. I really don't understand why. I never knew how many we actually had until my husband joined the army and I was reading about bases and such. When I find a new one, I always ask him "Why do we have a military base there?" "What is our purpose for being there?". He can never really give me a straight answer, because he doesn't know either.

Je_Jette_Poo
by Member on Jul. 7, 2009 at 12:46 PM

Quoting rnjMOM:

I've actually heard that we are still in the cities and we are just being misled.

Je_Jette_Poo
by Member on Jul. 7, 2009 at 12:48 PM

Quoting rnjMOM:

and... Do you also know that we have a Status of Forces agreement with all the countries we have bases in? Do you also know that they are our allies and that their military is also here on OUR military bases?  Why would this bother you?  We are not there to spy on the countries we are living in.  Take for instance our bases in South Korea, we train, house, feed the South Korean Army and active in the DMZ patrol of North Korea who also patrol on the other side of the fence.  How about England? Last time I knew we were allies with England.  When I worked at the Command and General Staff College over 5% of the attendees are foreign officers who live on OUR base here and in OUR communities for well over a year.  It is a give and take.  You also forgot to put down that German bases are being haded back over to the Germans... I am not sure what your point is...

BTW, please remember not only am I and my husband an Army veteran (recent OIF veterans) and that I still work for the DoD.  I am very well aware of every place we are, have been, and are going.  So I am not exactly clueless on the situation.  I sit in a building surrounded by retired veterans and senior enlisted and officers still working for the DoD ranging from Vietnam Vets to soldiers who are just back from Iraq/Afghanistan or who are about to leave.  Do you have any specific questions??

Wait, I have a question. The bases we have in Germany, we are giving back to the Germans and leaving?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN